The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

The last act of SUPE was the weakest part of the film. No doubt the weak  vfx and miniature work had a lot to do with that.

So, it's not surprising JW wasn't as inspired as the earlier, better, portions of the movie.

The LLL Swarm is a big improvement over the Prometheus, more so than most things that get expanded twice. 

This is because they made technical mistakes when mastering the Prometheus, I forget the details now but it had something to do with folding the 3 channel mix down to stereo incorrectly. 

The LLL is finally properly mastered for the first time since the OST LP, and both the new complete program and the OST program sound terrific. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

The LLL Swarm is a big improvement over the Prometheus, more so than most things that get expanded twice. 

This is because they made technical mistakes when mastering the Prometheus, I forget the details now but it had something to do with folding the 3 channel mix down to stereo incorrectly. 

The LLL is finally properly mastered for the first time since the OST LP, and both the new complete program and the OST program sound terrific. 

Agreed. The Prometheus release sounds very harsh and isn’t enjoyable to listen to. So much so that the LLL release finally made me realise what an enjoyable score it is. At the risk of heresy, I find it much more enjoyable than any of JW’s Irwin Allen scores. Even the Towering Inferno.

2 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

@La La Land Records Are there any plans to include more video announcements similar to the one for Far and Away and Superman:TM?  That was a nice added touch to two spectacular releases!  

I loved those little vignettes! Nice companion pieces for the flyers.

Certainly no shortage of posters around JWFan with video editing skills, if ever required :P

IIRC, the LLL video for Superman features the clean opening of "New 5M3B", which has never been released (it always overlaps with the ending of "New 5M3" on all releases)

31 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Agreed. The Prometheus release sounds very harsh and isn’t enjoyable to listen to. So much so that the LLL release finally made me realise what an enjoyable score it is. At the risk of heresy, I find it much more enjoyable than any of JW’s Irwin Allen scores. Even the Towering Inferno.

The film's damn near unwatchable though. I just wasted two and a half hours on this stinker.

39 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

The film's damn near unwatchable though. I just wasted two and a half hours on this stinker.

Oh yeah. One of those where Jerry scored what the film as it should/could have been rather than was. 

Latest stock update from MV:

Hopefully these will come back in stock:

BATMAN DANNY ELFMAN COLLECTION
DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE
HARRY POTTER BOX SET
SUPERMAN 2/3

I can't afford to miss them again.

BATMAN -- LATE MAY

SUMMER 2021

HARRY POTTER
SUPERMAN 2/3
DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE (LAST BATCH)

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=143580&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1

Hmm, I'm wondering, will I have to wait for the next HP batch before they can send me a replacement case (the big one?) They said to include that request with my next order, but I hope to be able to order something before the summer.

A replacement case is just an empty case, it wouldn't have anything to do with the title it came from being in stock or not

Before the summer... I hope they release something you want to buy before June 21st!

18 hours ago, Jay said:

A replacement case is just an empty case, it wouldn't have anything to do with the title it came from being in stock or not

Before the summer... I hope they release something you want to buy before June 21st!

Oh, so do you mean they have extra HP cases for replacement purposes only? I have no idea how carefully I need to pack these things to spare them from damage during travelling anymore. This box set should not have any scratches.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I dunno

The way he said: 

20 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

a replacement case (the big one?)

Made me think he meant the double sized plastic jewel case HPSS is in, as opposed to the single-sized jewel cases HPCOS and HPPOA are in.

So, if he was talking about jewel cases, they'd be able to provide him one whenever.

If he was talking about the outer cardboard box (which is a box - or really a sleeve, not a "case"), then I'm honestly not sure if they have spares in their Burbank office right now, or if they'd have to wait for another batch of finished goods from the plant to have more.  That's a good question.  I'd speculate, however, that they already have extras sitting in their office right now.

Another update from MV (same thread)

I was personally hoping for Empire Of The Sun, which seems like it's been OOS forever.
Maybe it was available this time last year and it just wasn't on my radar?

Empire will be back probably in June (last batch) .

With all these older WMG titles we have to toss all the old paper and print up new paper that contains the NEW Warner Records legal line, so repesssings become more expensive than expected. And of course, we have to eat those expenses. UGH

That being said more Batman Collections and Die Another Day are on the way!

MV

Sales Exention by 1 more week! & ALIEN 3 back in Stock!

Just recieved email flyer from La La Land Records:

BY POPULAR DEMAND - EXTENDED FOR ONE MORE WEEK!!!
SALE GOOD THRU 4/27/21 - IT WILL NOT BE EXTENDED FURTHER

25% OFF SITE-WIDE SPRING SALE ON NOW at www.lalalandrecords.com

TAKE 25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE.
The discount will be applied at final checkout.

This special applies to ALL in-stock titles EXCEPT our recent releases of THE TIME TUNNEL VOL 1., FRIDAY THE 13th PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN, and the purchase of e-Gift Certificates.

Our newly back in stock ALIEN 3, SOLARIS, THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, COBRA KAI SEASON 1 and COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT are part of the site-wide sale!

This is the last batch of ALIEN 3's limited run, so get it now before you miss out for good!

BACK IN STOCK!

ALIEN 3 (2-CD SET), SOLARIS, THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, COBRA KAI: SEASON ONE, COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE ’96 (2-CD SET), MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – FALLOUT (2-CD SET), THE ORVILLE: SEASON ONE (2-CD SET), QUINN MARTIN VOL 3: STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO (2-CD SET), FRIDAY THE 13th PARTS 2&3 (2-CD SET), FRIDAY THE 13th PARTS 4&5 (2-CD SET), SCHINDLER’S LIST: 25th ANNIV (2-CD SET), TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA (2-CD SET), BRAM STOKER’S DRACULA (3-CD SET), THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH (2-CD SET), QUINN MARTIN VOL 2 : THE INVADERS (2-CD SET), ROMANCING THE STONE and the very last 75 units of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA – TV SERIES (4-CD SET)

Sale runs through 4/27/21

Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Don't miss Alien 3, folks! Took me a couple of listens to unlock the score but it's so damn rewarding now. 

It was, and remains to this day, my favourite Goldenthal score. It's a stunning piece of work.

45 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Don't miss Alien 3, folks! Took me a couple of listens to unlock the score but it's so damn rewarding now. 

Didn't intend to. I've already miss Resurrection (which I find a bit less good) so no more!

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Didn't intend to. I've already miss Resurrection (which I find a bit less good) so no more!

I'm only missing Resurrection and Aliens now. Truthfully I'm not too upset about the former, I'm not a huge fan of what Frizzel wrote. 

And the latter is a very dated release so I'm hoping Varese will remaster the score in the near future. 

Back on LLL, I hope that flood of new releases isn't far off. Crazy to think it's been nearly 6 months since Black Friday and it doesn't appear any of their planned-but-delayed 2020 BF titles have arrived yet. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh I think the only reason the flood titles aren't out yet is the same reason they were delayed - waiting and waiting for the film studios and music labels to approve everything - as well as now finally getting approved and having to wait in line at the pressing plant the film studios force them to use.  Things aren't like the old days when they can choose their own pressing plants any more (a time where there was many active plants across the US instead of just 4)

I didn't know this, that's completely absurd! Makes it really hard for LLL to [hypothetically] copy the new Varese model and start pressing copies overseas to help international buyers.

What difference does it make to the studios? Do they have deals with the pressing plants to keep the manufacturing in the US? Genuinely curious.

The "big three" music labels (SME, WMG, UME) own (or maybe partially own, idk) CD pressing plants, and can force the specialty labels to use them as part of the license they get to make the albums happen at all.  There's nothing they can do about it.

HP was supposed to be out in the fall of that year (which is why it was mentioned in the program of the Williams LSO concert we all went to that October), but WB forced them to press the discs at some Mexican CD plant they own (or partially own or something), so it became a Black Friday title because it took forever to get everything from there

MV just posted about pressing plants recently on FSM

La-La Land,

Any chance you can discontinue the use of the below pictured case for your 3-4 discs releases? That center spindle has a death grip on most discs. Disc 2 of A.I. has actually cracked on me. Only the sets pictured have come in this case. Other sets (Jurassic Park, Potter, Die Hard, and others) have a more traditional spindle hub that is a far more friendly user experience.

Thanks and Love your work!!!

Its not our choice when it comes to these sets. Its up to the Manufacturer (WMG, SONY, UMG or our plant)

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=143667&forumID=1&archive=0

Wow, so some of these long-delayed titles aren't necessarily caught up waiting for approvals, but actually stuck in a manufacturing plant queue?