The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Yea and if Taylor Swift or somebody like that decides to drop a new album, little guys like our specialty label heroes get pushed back while they press that for a while instead

This wouldn't have been an issue at all from say, 1990 - 2010 when there were tons of CD pressing plants all across the world.  CD sales have dropped so drastically in the past decade, there are not very many CD pressing plants left on earth

12950.jpeg

recorded_music_revenue_simplified3.png

If the film studios would let the specialty labels release their work digitally, none of this would be an issue, but the only contracts they can get are for limited CD and/or vinyl releases, with very rare exceptions

WIthout being able to release new products on a regular basis, small businsses like our beloved specialty labels can't stay in business.  I can see the smaller ones closing shop within the next 10 years and only a few remaining.

The best thing you can do to support the ones in business now is to buy your titles directly from them instead of through a 3rd party store.  They receive more money that way.

I really hope they can negotiate international manufacturing before it comes to that.

The studios are crazy if they think the labels can sit and wait for months on end just to use manufacturing plants the studios have financial interests in. Surely they could at least compromise on a 50/50 model.

I don't think the wait is ever that long, it might delay a release by weeks or maybe close to 1 month at most... unless it's a big mutli-disc, mult-case boxset with an outer shell, like Potter I guess

Not to mention the approval process which was greatly hampered by the current Covid situation. Or sometimes the final sign off may just depend on One guy as is the nature of the beast. We just have to be patient and and save up. 

It's really a bummer that directors and actors can have to sign off for a couple thousand copies of a film score pressed to CD to get released.

I remember LLL posting that Wyatt Earp was delayed for a long time waiting for Kevin Costner to sign off, and I remember the cover of Bad Boys is just a car and an explosion because if they had Will Smith and Martin Lawrence on the cover they'd have to wait for them to approve

I think Tom Cruise had to sign off on Minority Report and Mission Impossible also; maybe the Intrada cover of WOTW doesn't have him so he wouldn't slow that down, idk

I can completely understand that signing anything off with Williams was likely impossible most of last year, based on the workflow Jay described a few weeks back (although I'm not sure about the current state of play with COVID in LA).

It's obviously important that no risks are taken with Williams' health just so he can listen to one of Mike's assemblies.

Williams always signs off on things pretty quickly.

The delays with Williams titles is always Spielberg's approval, or some other issue at the film studio or music label.  IE, JK Rowlings had to sign off on the Potter box, and both WB films and Universal Music have been slow to approve everything for the past year or so, etc

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think Tom Cruise had to sign off on Minority Report and Mission Impossible also; maybe the Intrada cover of WOTW doesn't have him so he wouldn't slow that down, idk

That would certainly explain why they kept the OST cover and didn't use the other poster with Tom Cruise's face.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Williams always signs off on things pretty quickly.

Sounds like Williams is faster at listening to these expansions than I am! :lol:

*stares at the plastic-wrapped pile of CDs still waiting for their first listen*

Their face is their money maker. They don't want inferior products representing them. 

Did MJ Fox approve the cover of the ultimate trilogy blu-ray set? 

Screenshot_2021-04-20_115208_1.png

What. The. Fuck. 

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

but the only contracts they can get are for limited CD and/or vinyl releases, with very rare exceptions

...but whyyyyyyyy

I think digital/streaming sales complicate the licensing situation (especially with AFM fees, which has an entirely separate fee structure for digital downloads/streaming).

Mechanical licenses are comparatively straightforward, though we can only speculate why studios refuse to license anything more.

Maybe there's ongoing paperwork to the AFM for digital sales? CD sales are probably much easier with an agreed quantity of units.

Yea I think it's a lot to do with union musician fees but don't really know all the ins and outs

I never said "a release will happen before the summer", I said "I hope they release something you want to buy before June 21st"

A song appearing in a publishing/copyright database is not a signal that an expanded score CD is coming.  As stated in that Facebook post, it could be because of a blu ray extra or something - we're in Hook's 30th anniversary year, after all - maybe making West Side Story encouraged Spielberg to #releasethemusicalcut of Hook on Blu Ray?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

A song appearing in a publishing/copyright database is not a signal that an expanded score CD is coming.  As stated in that Facebook post, it could be because of a blu ray extra or something

Could you explain why it would appear in the database for a new Blu-Ray but not for a new expanded release?

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

Could you explain why it would appear in the database for a new Blu-Ray but not for a new expanded release?

I definitely didn't say that, I just said it could be in there for any number of reasons. Maybe Bricusse is integrating an unused song into a new play. He's still alive and working after all. 

Sometimes copyright ownership expires after x number of years as well, if nothing is done with a property. Maybe Leslie (or some other party) needed to renew the licence to retain copyright ownership. 30 years is a decent time gap.

I would take anything found in those databases with a grain of salt. Last week I stumbled across a bunch of... interesting track titles on a music database from some high-profile non-expanded JW scores, but upon further investigation it was likely just because the film usage of some cues differed to the OST equivalents (hence multiple listings).

I'm just thinking out loud that since the registration appears to be at the end of 2020, it seems unlikely it was going to be a HOOK expansion set anytime soon. We all had hoped for it be part of LLL's Black Friday batch which unfortunately didn't happen. So if that BF batch is ready to come out now I.e.starting next month, I doubt it's going to be featuring HOOK. In the order of titles being prepared for that batch, it's highly unlikely to happen so soon. And some of us had our hopes too high.. 

But its the 30th Anniversary this year and we have still 9 months to go.

I made this search and post. These registrations cover the protection of the rights of the creation whatever its form,  lyrics and music. It can be for anything: new CD, new blu-ray, sheet music in songbook, lyrics in biographic book, scenes in documentaries or whatever. The fact is that a recent attention is given to those songs. 
It doesn't mean that something is going to happen right now but that an exploitation would be possible in the near or distant future. I doubt that these registrations need to be renewed like there is an expiration date.

I wouldn't be surprised if Spielberg finally decides to show those Hook musical attempts. In 2015, he said in an interview that he regretted leaving out the songs at the last moment. I think he's been thinking about it seriously since then.
The deleted scenes on the latest 2018 blu-ray makes hope for more bonus material in furture. The 30th anniversary of Hook and the release of West Side Story is the best time to share it all. Who knows? He may have taken advantage of his time in lockdown to reassemble Hook. It's free to dream.

Yeah, same, so short after they kinda hyped up 11 deleted scenes which ended up being a fat pile of nothing, some trimmings but nothing even relatively major.

The whole issue of copyright ownership has really become absurd..

Take THE GREAT GATSBY.

It only recently became public domain - nearly 100 years after publication.

Copyright law used to be tied to the creator.

Now, faceless corporations- far removed from the original creation- hold art hostage.

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Those who actually own the music don't seem to have a clue

Somehow these studios who make all their decisions based on money suddenly hate making money when it comes to this stuff.

So they just like to be assholes, do they? Or is there a better explanation for their total lack of cooperation? Also, which complete idiot came up with the limited release thing? Can anyone give me ONE reason why something like HP should be limited?

11 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Also, which complete idiot came up with the limited release thing? Can anyone give me ONE reason why something like HP should be limited?

Because it's a way for the labels to get a licence to release enough copies of those scores for most of us (i.e. in many cases pretty much all the physical copies that could possibly be sold anyway), without the studios giving up completely on their option of making their own use of the material (either by selling it, or by using in other media they make, later on. Otherwise they would have to weigh their pros and cons (of licencing something they own but barely understand) even more, and we're already complaining that they spend too much time doing that and delaying the releases.

FINAL THREE DAYS! 25% OFF SITE-WIDE SPRING SALE THRU 4/27/21

TAKE 25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE (The discount will be applied at final checkout)

This special applies to ALL in-stock titles EXCEPT our recent releases of THE TIME TUNNEL VOL 1., FRIDAY THE 13th PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN, and the purchase of e-Gift Certificates.

Sale runs through 4/27/21 - It will NOT be extended again.

Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

SHIPPING NOTICE: Given the current pandemic, please be patient with shipping. We are working steadily, safely and within local ordinances to get orders out in a timely fashion. Expect up to 10 business days from the date you place your order for it to ship from our warehouse and, then, we respectfully ask customers wait up to 4 weeks to inquire about packages/deliveries not yet received. All such inquiries should be made to info@lalaland-ent.com – Thank you.

BACK IN STOCK!

SOLARIS
THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN
COBRA KAI: SEASON ONE,
COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE ’96 (2-CD SET)
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – FALLOUT (2-CD SET)
THE ORVILLE: SEASON ONE (2-CD SET)
QUINN MARTIN VOL 3: STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO (2-CD SET)
FRIDAY THE 13th PARTS 2&3 (2-CD SET)
FRIDAY THE 13th PARTS 4&5 (2-CD SET)
SCHINDLER’S LIST: 25th ANNIV (2-CD SET)
TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA (2-CD SET)
BRAM STOKER’S DRACULA (3-CD SET)
THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH (2-CD SET)
QUINN MARTIN VOL 2 : THE INVADERS (2-CD SET)
ROMANCING THE STONE (last batch)

and the very last 60 units
of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA – TV SERIES (4-CD SET)

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=143758&forumID=1&archive=0

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

For some reason your link takes me to page 41 of the thread LOL

Please be a JW release, please!!!!

That's because of the crummy forum software FSM uses.  Each user can set their own amount of posts per page, so for my personal settings, I see 100 posts per page, and for me, this post is on the 41st page of the thread.

But a user with a different posts-per-page amount, or a generic unlogged in user, it will obviously be on some much higher page number.

Regardless, you can find it by just scrolling to the end of the thread of course

1 minute ago, ATXHusker said:

For some reason your link takes me to page 41 of the thread LOL

It's the awful FSM board software. The number of items per page are user configurable, so page indexes differ depending on the user loading the page. But links always seem to go to page indexes rather than post IDs. I suspect Jay has a non-standard setting for posts per page, so all his links take us to random older posts.

Jimmy Fallon Thumbs Up GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

10 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Not Star Wars... Does that means no for other Lucasfilms properties as well? I'm specifically talking about Willow.

I believe that Willow could only come from Intrada, but even if someone else could do it, Roger already publicly posted that Intrada is doing it.