The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I should really continue watching that.

How far did you get in?  Season 1 is very meh, but it gets really good real soon after that

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

So you're saying you won't be able to change your avatar until Sunday?!  ;)

Ha!

I love how every time MV posts anything, everyone on this board assumes a Williams title must be involved

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

May 1st is a Saturday, I'll be busy.  Too bad it couldn't be dropped Friday the 30th.  Oh well

Well, to be fair, your reactions and comments lend me to believe that you: A) Know what the release(s) is/are, and B) You're very excited about it/them.  And since you don't specifically have these reactions with other MV announcements gives me hope that it is JW-related and all will be right with the world :)

I'm excited for a month that will bring us 4 (or 5) new La La Land release, especially since April brought us 0 La La Land releases

I am also excited that two of them are titles they "have waited years to be approved on" - those tend to usually be something special!

Well, it's also exciting because of what MV posted in February:

We hope to have some new releases first week or two of March. After that, fingers crossed, a great flood shall wash upon the soundtrack marketplace unlike ever before...at least for a period of time. 

MV

It must be extremely frustrating for the labels to have everything ready to go only to wait months or years for a release to finally get announced.  It's frustrating enough for us fans but at least we have no idea what's in the pipeline or what's been delayed for one reason or another. I'm sure they want to have their products released ASAP to get some revenue flowing in and therefore fund future releases.

Yup.  Don't forget that in July 2019 they shared this poster celebrating 500 titles, after LLLCD 1500 (Planet of the Apes boxset) was announced:

http://johndadlez.com/pix/LLL_500_releases-final-01.jpg

That poster shows, in order, LLLCD 1001 through 1500, which included 3 titles that hadn't been announced before the poster dropped

• Mission: Impossible (LLLCD 1411) - released September 10 2019
  • The Adventures of Batman and Robin (LLLCD 1489) - not out yet
  • The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (LLLCD 1494) - released August 13th 2019

That's a long time that The Adventures of Batman and Robin has sat there far enough along in the process that it was assigned catalog number and had approved front cover art, yet still isn't out.  The other titles in the 1480's all released from July-Nov 2018! 

Things haven't been easy since that summer either.  Look at how many titles are still not out after receiving their catalog numbers

LLLCD 1500 - Planet of the Apes boxset
LLLCD 1501 - Minority Report
LLLCD 1502 - Nevada Smith (Paramount Westerns Collection)
LLLCD 1503 - Darkman
LLLCD 1504 - ??????????????????????????????????????????
LLLCD 1505 - Pet Sematary Two
LLLCD 1506 - Child's Play 2
LLLCD 1507 - Quinn Martin Vol. 2
LLLCD 1508 - Bride of Frankenstein
LLLCD 1509 - Road House
LLLCD 1510 - Teen Titans Go! Vs Teen Titans
LLLCD 1511 - Stargate
LLLCD 1512 - Star Trek Voyager Vol. 2
LLLCD 1513 - Friday The 13th Part VI
LLLCD 1514 - Casper
LLLCD 1515 - The Swarm
LLLCD 1516 - The Poseidon Adventure
LLLCD 1517 - Earthquake
LLLCD 1518 - The Towering Inferno
LLLCD 1519 - Beverly Hills Cop 35th
LLLCD 1520 - Karate Kid 35th
LLLCD 1521 - Gemini Man
LLLCD 1522 - Terminator Genisys
LLLCD 1523 - Pandora
LLLCD 1524 - Hoffa
LLLCD 1525 - Young Justice - Outsiders
LLLCD 1526 - Two Mules For Sister Sara
LLLCD 1527 - ??????????????????????????????????????????
LLLCD 1528 - Sonic The Hedgehog
LLLCD 1529 - Days of Thunder
LLLCD 1530 - Mystery Men
LLLCD 1531 - Escape To Danger
LLLCD 1532 - Sliver
LLLCD 1533 - Far and Away
LLLCD 1534 - Quinn Martin Vol. 3
LLLCD 1535 - The Wretched
LLLCD 1536 - Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea
LLLCD 1537 - The Outpost
LLLCD 1538 - Forces of Nature
LLLCD 1539 - Munster, Go Home
LLLCD 1540 - ??????????????????????????????????????????
LLLCD 1541 - Cobra Kai: Season 2
LLLCD 1542 - Karate Kid Part II
LLLCD 1543 - Karate Kid Part III
LLLCD 1544 - Goldsmith at 20th Vol. 1
LLLCD 1545 - Goldsmith at 20th Vol. 2
LLLCD 1546 - The Boys Season 1
LLLCD 1547 - Friday The 13th Part VII
LLLCD 1548 - Graveyard Shift
LLLCD 1549 - The Boys Season 2
LLLCD 1550 - ??????????????????????????????????????????
LLLCD 1551 - Tremors
LLLCD 1552 - The Orville Season 2
LLLCD 1553 - Cobra Kai: Season 3
LLLCD 1554 - Banning
LLLCD 1555 - Freaky
LLLCD 1556 - Hard Rain
LLLCD 1557 - ??????????????????????????????????????????
LLLCD 1558 - ??????????????????????????????????????????
LLLCD 1559 - The Time Tunnel Vol. 1
LLLCD 1560 - ??????????????????????????????????????????
LLLCD 1561 - Friday The 13th Part VIII

That's 7 titles, and we're only getting 4-5 in May (none of which are even guaranteed to be one of these anyway)... yikes

12 minutes ago, mstrox said:

That post says May 11th not May 1st, right?

That post says that he's posting a flyer image to Facebook on Saturday May 1st, revealing the titles that will be releasing on Tueday May 11th and Tuesday May 25th

1 hour ago, Jay said:

How far did you get in?  Season 1 is very meh, but it gets really good real soon after that

Not far. I might not even have finished S1, but I liked it from the start. I didn't get access to it until I finally got a VPN that allows me to watch US Netflix, but I got sidetracked because that also gave me access to all other kinds of stuff we don't get here, and I figured I can always squeeze in more Office later.

38 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Titles waiting for approval for years? How on earth does this approval process work?! I thought people just needed to sign and look at stuff? Don't they trust LLL by now?

Often times it can be an actor that needs to approve of their likeness on a cover, etc. Film scores aren’t a priority on anyone’s to do list in Hollywood. 

Next weekend, I will have submitted my last seminar paper, two very old and very close friends that I haven't seen since the beginning of the pandemic will come visit me and we'll get fucked up by a bunch of cocktails - a few exciting special label releases would make this the perfect weekend.:)

58 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

I just came back to this forum after watching Hook only to find MV's message. This must be a sign! 

Last time I watched Jurassic Park LLL discovered some spare copies of the set hours later and I could finally pick it up. 

I guess it's time to watch some Star Wars. 

They'll find a few copies of the SE soundtrack.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Not Star Wars... Does that means no for other Lucasfilms properties as well?

Lets hope so.

LLL is due to release some stuff I want.

Only SISTER SARA has been a purchase in the last two.years.

53 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Next weekend, I will have submitted my last seminar paper, two very old and very close friends that I haven't seen since the beginning of the pandemic will come visit me and we'll get fucked up by a bunch of cocktails - a few exciting special label releases would make this the perfect weekend.:)

You can drunk order all the new releases before you even remember what they are.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I know of one title that began life intended to be an x0 or x5 anniversary edition, so much time passed before getting all the approvals that it became a title celebrating the next x0 or x5 anniversary... and then missed that too....

There's lots of different approvals a title might have to go through.

The owner of the elements (the film studio) has to grant a license.

If there was an OST album, the music label has to grant a license, and a contract between the film studio, the music label, and LLL has to be signed by all 3 parties

The film studio has to approve the release of a transfer of the elements, and might require payment for doing the transfer.

Then you can finally go and take those transfers and get them into shape, then edit them into a new album, then master that album

The composer might have to sign off on the program if they are alive and want to.

The film studio might want to look at a text copy of the liner notes before approving them.  Another party might want to also (I think Spielberg approves the liners of all his titles)

The film studio typically will only allow you to put images into a booklet that you pay them for, from a group of photos they provide.  Want to use something from the film that isn't in their official archive?  You might be out of luck, depending on the studio

Now the booklet can be created digitally by by art director, which then has to go through more approvals, including one branch of the film studio to make sure all the legalese is correct, and another that the entire package is acceptable.  The music label might have to approve the final packaging too

Along the way, you might have to get other approvals too, depending on the title.  Maybe a big name actor who you might want to put on the cover, maybe the film's director, maybe somebody else (JK Rowling had to approve the Potter box).

A big cause delays can be if the soundtrack will contain anything not written by the composer, or otherwise not part of the normal scoring sessions. Say an important pop/rock song that is key to the music of the film... Or say the score itself incorporates the melody of an existing song onto it. Lawyers can get all up in a tizzy about this stuff and delay titles for years while it's worked out. 

Even after all that, you might have no choice about which pressing plant to use, because the signed contract might include a clause about using a certain one that the film studio or music label has some financial interest in, so then you might have to "wait in line" there for a while if they are busy pressing other things they consider "more important" (IE, will sell more copies).

I don't think any of the people approving these things think of things in that way at all.  That's more of a personal connection, like what JW has with MM.  JW is more likely to approve more and more bonus tracks on MM releases than in the past because he trusts MM to show his work in the best possible light, indeed. But that's just one approval. 

All these other approvals, its a rotating door of people moving through the corporate system and having different jobs at different times. People who really know their stuff and makes things easy for the label may one day get promoted to another position, and the new guy might not have a clue or really understand why he's spending time on things that will literally not make his giant corporation any noticeable money. 

It's a crazy business. 

Wow, thanks for that! Can't wait for the flyer.

Do we know what time the LLL flyer will drop? It might be fun to setup a countdown timer like for the recent JW OSTs. 

I usually get LLL emails around 5pm local time, which is midnight in California. 

I couldn't even tell you if he's more likely to post it early, to get it out of the way and be able to then enjoy his Saturday to the fullest, or wait to post at the end of the day, after the kids are in bed and there's no more family stuff to attend to.  Who knows

Just now, crumbs said:

I'm too lazy to check an old flyer for reference but how detailed are they usually? Just the cover art, title and number of discs?

Sometimes a photo of the back that’s blurry when you zoom in.  Remember us guessing at ET track titles that way

Haha yes I do remember that! They actually blurred the tracklist on the back cover specifically to stop us from guessing the track titles. 

Those were a crazy few days when we couldn't see any titles resembling 'Botanicus' :lol:

40 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm too lazy to find an old flyer for reference but how detailed are they usually?

Here's every monthly flyer they've posted since BF 2019

Just the title, cover art, number of discs and quantity?

Cousin Eddie Randy Quaid GIF - CousinEddie RandyQuaid Bingo - Discover &  Share GIFs

39 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sometimes a photo of the back that’s blurry when you zoom in.  Remember us guessing at ET track titles that way

This is not right, you're talking about splash art / glamour shot created for certain titles.  This is not an aspect of the monthly flyers we're discussing

Wow! Didn't realize how much of an exciting weekend we're in for! 

Probably will miss out on the fun tomorrow (absolutely swamped with work), but I'll be around on Saturday. Looking forward to it!

I  mostly Look to LLL these days for exciting releases.

They seem to be the label that produces new titles most frequently.

All the deluxe, expanded, remastered stuff isn't really my area of interest, these days.

Fortunately,the titles I wanted expanded have pretty much been done😍

Hope we get a Universal premiere or two😁