The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

4 hours ago, Brando said:

It's awfully quiet here...is no one else excited that Hook could maybe be on the way? Fingers crossedROTFLMAO

No defiant last words.jpg

Yeahhhhhhh, nahhh... I can't do that to myself again after last time :heartbreak:

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Not getting my hopes up for any JW titles. I suspect there'd be a little more hype if the flood was imminent.

I think the labels have learnt by now not to overhype the masses :P

I completely forgot there was even an announcement imminent.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I think the labels have learnt by now not to overhype the masses :P

I completely forgot there was even an announcement imminent.

Iam Always hopeful for something positive. Hoping it will be a Williams title or titles this time around...

14 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I can't remember, is the announcement usually at mightnight or noon? I ask this every single month and can never remember! :P

On 4/29/2021 at 11:33 AM, Jay said:

The Facebook flyers have no pattern at all and never have, MV just posts them whenever

On 4/29/2021 at 12:46 PM, Jay said:

Since Facebook displays things in my own local time, in EST those flyers dropped at 2:08pm, 12:58pm, 1:09pm, 3:49pm, 12:37pm, 4:03pm, 3:02pm, and last month's was 11:51am. 

There's nothing we can do but wait until it suddenly shows up.  The earliest it's arrived within the past year and a half is about 3 hours, 20 minutes from now.  The latest it's arrived within the past year and a half is about 7 1/2 hours from now.

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's nothing we can do but wait until it suddenly shows up.  The earliest it's arrived within the past year and a half is 3 hours, 15 minutes from now

Out of interest, do you know which future titles correspond with which numbers, like 1527 or 1550? Or is the number only assigned late in the process, once the release is finished and sent off for approvals?

I always figured it was assigned once the initial contract was signed with a studio and work began, but now I'm guessing there'd be a lot more blank numbers if that were the case (as presumably LLL have dozens of titles in various stages of completion at any one time).

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Since Facebook displays things in my own local time, in EST those flyers dropped at 2:08pm, 12:58pm, 1:09pm, 3:49pm, 12:37pm, 4:03pm, 3:02pm, and last month's was 11:51am. 

Insanity!

Wowserz, Jay. You're right, it's an absolute miracle these things make it out at all. Everyone working for these labels are absolute heroes in my eyes!

I know it varies from project to project, but I'm surprised how early the "composer listens to assembly" step is in the process, and how much work follows in its wake. I figured John would be given Mike's liner notes to review at the same time Mike hands his agent the CD-R of the assembly, but clearly this happens months apart.

Does he review both the raw liner notes (in document form) AND the final assembled booklet? If so, that must be a huge thrill for the likes of Jim Titus and Kay Marshall, knowing their work is reviewed by the actual composer!

1 minute ago, pete said:

Insanity!

Ugh, it's already pushing 1.30am here. Knowing my luck it'll drop 5 minutes after I go to bed :crymore:

These announcements are not AU timezone friendly :(

Good point! That makes total sense; the liner notes refer to track titles and the assembly itself, so it needs to come after the assembly is approved.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Ugh, it's already pushing 1.30am here. Knowing my luck it'll drop 5 minutes after I go to bed :crymore:

I think you should go to sleep crumbs, now!

2 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

He'll know staying awake was worth it when they announce "Balfe at 20th - 4LP Vinyl collector's edition". 

I'd definitely be purchasing it, just for the fun and as a reminder of such an unexpected (and stupid?) release

What on earth does that 'one studio' gain from demanding a tracklist be submitted before they will provide the materials needed to determine said tracklist?

I knew the labels' job was difficult, but that's ridiculous.

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

These big studios just don't get it.

All they have to do is grant a license, then the specialty labels and the contractors they hire do all the work, and the studio makes money for having granted said license.

But middle managers end up running the departments that do this and think they need to instill their own policies about it for whatever reason

This isn't even limited to film scores either. Alex Hirsch recently posted about a Gravity Falls art book that was canned for no reason:

4 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

This isn't even limited to film scores either. Alex Hirsch recently posted about a Gravity Falls art book that was canned for no reason:

Yet more evidence these big studios really have NFI what they're doing.

Thank frick we have the labels looking after this stuff, and all the studios usually have to do is tick them off (even if takes them an eternity).

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes, until I discovered the Neverfeast insert was missing.

Oh you think it's gonna be included in The Time Tunnel Vol.2 or Star Trek Voyager Volume 35 boxsets?

Given that three of those have previous releases I’ll be interested to see what additional material there is. AI I’m guessing not but I have no idea what might be unreleased from Caboblanco or Dragonslayer.