The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

• 2 weeks later...

LA-LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS
NEW RELEASES: TUESDAY, JUNE 22, 2021

New Releases available to order starting TUESDAY, JUNE 22, 2021 at 12 noon (pst)
at www.lalalandrecords.com

“ALWAYS: LIMITED EDITION”
Music by John Williams
Limited Edition of 3500 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $21.98
STARTS SHIPPING JUNE 30

“A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: 20th ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION (3-CD SET)”
Music by John Williams
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $39.98
STARTS SHIPPING JUNE 30

JOHN WILLIAMS “SAVING PRIVATE RYAN” SPECIAL!
We’re celebrating our ALWAYS and A.I. 20th ANNIVERSARY RE-ISSUE releases with a great price on the Maestro’s masterful SAVING PRIVATE RYAN: 20th ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION CD!

Get SAVING PRIVATE RYAN: 20th ANNIV. LIMITED EDITION CD for ONLY $15 EACH!

Sale price starts 6/22 at 12 noon (pst) and is good thru 7/5
Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

X-FILES VOL 4 (4-CD SET), X-FILES SEASON 11 (2-CD SET) and David Arnold’s DIE ANOTHER DAY (2-CD SET) are BACK IN STOCK NOW!

SPECIAL OFFER!
“MAX PAYNE / HITMAN AGENT 47” SPECIAL!

Celebrating our current release of Maestro Beltrmai’s A QUIET PLACE PART II score, we’re offering our last 100 units of his awesome MAX PAYNE score, as well as his HITMAN AGENT 47 score at a sale price of ONLY $4 EACH!

Special offer good while supplies last.

SHIPPING NOTICE: Please be patient with shipping. We are working steadily, safely and within local ordinances to get orders out in a timely fashion. Expect up to 7-10 business days from the date you place your order for it to ship from our warehouse and, then, we respectfully ask customers wait up to 4 weeks to inquire about packages/deliveries not yet received. All such inquiries should be made to info@lalaland-ent.com – Thank you.

BACK IN STOCK!
X-FILES VOL 4 (4-CD SET), X-FILES SEASON 11 (2-CD SET), DIE ANOTHER DAY (2-CD SET), FAR AND AWAY (2-CD SET) LAST BATCH, QUINN MARTIN COLLECTION VOL 1: COP & DETECTIVE SERIES (2-CD SET) LAST BATCH, DIE HARD 30th ANNIV (3-CD SET), SOLARIS, THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, COBRA KAI SEASON 1, COLOSSUS THE FORBIN PROJECT, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – FALLOUT (2-CD SET), THE ORVILLE: SEASON ONE (2-CD SET), QUINN MARTIN VOL 3: STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO (2-CD SET), FRIDAY THE 13th PARTS 2&3 (2-CD SET), FRIDAY THE 13th PARTS 4&5 (2-CD SET), TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA (2-CD SET), THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH (2-CD SET), QUINN MARTIN VOL 2 : THE INVADERS (2-CD SET), ROMANCING THE STONE and the very last 100 units of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA – TV SERIES (4-CD SET)

https://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2esgl7--v68c3-ag4f6q0

On 4/28/2021 at 4:42 PM, Jay said:

Look at how many titles are still not out after receiving their catalog numbers

LLLCD 1527 - ??????????????????????????????????????????

On 5/1/2021 at 12:09 AM, TSMefford said:

I bet LLLCD 1527 will finally be fulfilled!

On 5/25/2021 at 2:59 PM, TSMefford said:

1527 is a good one. I can feel it.

On 5/26/2021 at 7:46 PM, TSMefford said:

1527!!! LET'S GO!!

You were right!

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Lots of final batches to jump on!

Yes. Dont miss. Once these are gone.They are GONE!

Potter is a curious omission from the list.  Last we heard about a Potter restock was

In the meantime we will do our damnedest to get more Harry Potter sets produced. It's not sold out. I repeat ITS NOT SOLD OUT...just OUT OF STOCK. Its just a pricey endeavor to make the packaging and manufacture the 7 cds at a third party finished goods rate, but we should have some more in stock by Summer.

Maybe they'll post an update about it if someone asks in the FSM thread

Empire of the Sun is in the TBD... oh well At least it's not out of print really should not have slept on that one! 

Weird they didn't mention Potter as Jay quoted it sounds like it's a beast to produce I'm surprised they wouldn't have it at least in the TBD column. 

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's a big upgrade over the earlier edition of Batman that was made from inferior elements.  It finally sounds great on this edition

Last time I tried checking it out I was very disappointed with the main title's sound. And the score's excess of filler inbetween those towering highlights - like the movie.. And that once again, I just can't get into Returns at all, it just churns away in the background any my mind doesn't latch onto anything. I'll let the set go for the sake of one person who'd miss it and be really bummed!

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Last time I tried checking it out I was very disappointed with... the score's excess of filler inbetween those towering highlights - like the movie.. And then once again, I just can't get into Returns at all, it just churns away in the background and my mind doesn't latch onto anything.

Kinda feel that way with a lot of Elfman, at least on first few listens

I think the Batman OST album is a very very well crafted assembly of highlights, with good cue choice, editing, and re-arrangement of the order of things.  It's a classic album.

I think Batman's score also works very well in complete form, which is unfortunately only possible (legally) on the Mondo vinyl.  But if you have access to a rip of what's new there to combine with everything else from this set, I think the complete version of the entire score entirely in chronological order is just as great of a listening experience, albeit a different one from the OST experience.  But yea, being "almost" complete on this set as-released is a bit of a bummer; maybe with this being the final batch, LLL will choose to fund a new 2CD set that uses Neil's Mondo program as disc 1 and fills up disc 2 with every single possible bonus track that exists to finally have a truly complete edition in one package (right now you need to combine the Mondo, this set, the Elfman/Burton box, and that one demo released on one of the animated series volumes to have everything).

Harry Potter sets for Q4...or more likely next year?

Depends on what's left in the cookie jar

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=144368&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=542#bottom

3 hours ago, Jay said:

(right now you need to combine the Mondo, this set, the Elfman/Burton box, and that one demo released on one of the animated series volumes to have everything).

Don't forget about the earlier edition which had added instruments for "Jack vs. Eckhardt" and "Shootout" (in other words, the film mixes)

Of course!

I'm sure Neil could fit everything on two discs and have the best quality throughout

8 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Don't forget about the earlier edition which had added instruments for "Jack vs. Eckhardt" and "Shootout" (in other words, the film mixes)

Must have missed that there were some bits missing from the LLL set... doesn't seem like anything material, although might need to compare what's in the Elfman/Burton box. Most of those seem to have been superseded now!

Hi MV,
I don't see the John Williams disaster set in the restock announcement.
Does this mean it's all gone and won't be available anymore? I missed it twice (for personal financial reasons, wrong timing).

Most likely back in stock 1st qtr 2022 unless we have a windfall of cash

Harry Potter is coming back first

MV

37 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Just for fun, I am predicting a 20th anniversary expanded release of Jurassic Park 3.

That would be great... I can't help feel that JP III is somewhat underrated. Don Davis did a terrific job of mixing his own style with JW's material, certainly far more effectively that Michael Giacchino did in the Jurassic World movies (to date at least), indeed the first Jurassic World was the point at which I thought Giacchino sounded burned out as it's pretty listless and unmemorable compared to the original three scores.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Just for fun, I am predicting a 20th anniversary expanded release of Jurassic Park 3.

Aww, you got me excited for a moment as I thought the suggestion was based on an actual clue... although it's most definitely time for it, and right up LLL's avenue.

The promo goes most of the way to satisfying over the OST, but the sound's perhaps a little subpar and doesn't have a number of film versions. I really look forward to a properly mastered, genuinely complete set.

Although I've been bracing myself for some time to accept the inevitable revelation that the incredibly effective film version of the pteranodon build-up was something cobbled together by the music editors, and therefore not included.

46 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

That would be great... I can't help feel that JP III is somewhat underrated.

I feel in this context that 'underrated' is another way of saying that being non-Williams in a WIlliams-initiated franchise puts it in an automatic shadow.

24 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Aww, you got me excited for a moment as I thought the suggestion was based on an actual clue... although it's most definitely time for it, and right up LLL's avenue.

The promo goes most of the way to satisfying over the OST, but the sound's perhaps a little subpar and doesn't have a number of film versions. I really look forward to a properly mastered, genuinely complete set.

Although I've been bracing myself for some time to accept the inevitable revelation that the incredibly effective film version of the pteranodon build-up was something cobbled together by the music editors, and therefore not included.

I feel in this context that 'underrated' is another way of saying that being non-Williams in a WIlliams-initiated franchise puts it in an automatic shadow.

Yeah the promo isn't perfect, but the version I have sounds decent enough and I think the score works much better in longer form, but I'd certainly snap up (with my T-Rex arms) a proper expansion.

JW is obviously a hard act to follow, but of the franchises that got non-Williams scores for their sequels, I'd put Jurassic Park III up there with the best of them (alongside Superman IVSolo and Goblet of Fire  - although I now feel I may have missed one). Davis' doesn't slavishly ape Williams - there are plenty of recognisably Davis esque touches - but he does a great job of incorporating both the main themes, but also the four Raptor (or whatever you want to call it) motif but also does something interesting with Williams' themes rather than just quoting them like needle drops. The minor key version of the island fanfare in the opening track is a particularly nicely done moment.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

I'm perfectly ok with no Hook, on the condition it's actually JP3, HP4 and/or Hook. 

Fixed.

2 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Fixed fixed!

Hah, I was originally going to post that :P

But I'd be genuinely happy with JP3 or HP4. I'm really surprised JP3 hasn't surfaced in the 5 years since the JP/TLW set, because Mike said he'd be happy to do the third score (I think around the time that set was released).

And considering it's Universal/Amblin, I don't see too many hurdles with licensing (unless Williams was unhappy with Davis' work or something?)

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

(unless Williams was unhappy with Davis' work or something?)

We've got enough theories about Williams disapproving of his themes' treatment - we don't need more!