The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Did Williams ever write a sequel score where the score of the first movie was written by someone else?

That never happened, right?

So, the only situation where original composers could have complained about the treatment of their themes were in his adaptations and arrangements for Goodbye Mr. Chips, Fiddler on the Roof or Tom Sawyer?

12 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

So, the only situation where original composers could have complained about the treatment of their themes were in his adaptations and arrangements for Goodbye Mr. Chips, Fiddler on the Roof or Tom Sawyer?

And War Horse. ;)

Karol

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

We've got enough theories about Williams disapproving of his themes' treatment - we don't need more!

If he were (and I appreciate his opinion will always be the first to consider on such matters), I’d have to take issue with it as, for me, Davis did a great job of using the original themes effectively, sensitively and with some interesting new interpretations. Their use was clearly done with care and thought. It would be churlish to take much issue. 

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

JP3 would be a terrific expansion and its 20th anniversary is indeed a good occasion to bring this great score back to life.

Agreed!

I think the issue is with the movie rather than the music. It doesn't feel like it belongs tonally with the other two. Too tongue-in-cheek. 

Karol

40 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

If he were (and I appreciate his opinion will always be the first to consider on such matters), I’d have to take issue with it as, for me, Davis did a great job of using the original themes effectively, sensitively and with some interesting new interpretations. Their use was clearly done with care and thought. It would be churlish to take much issue. 

Agreed! Davis' reinterpolations of JW's themes for JP3 reminds me of what Powell would do in Solo 17 years later. It's a fantastic score with some excellent new themes in its own right (and very effective action scoring too!)

55 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Agreed!

Even the march at the end?

5 minutes ago, Permanent Waves said:

It's Mozart-esque next to what Giacchino did to his Star Wars themes.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Agreed! Davis' reinterpolations of JW's themes for JP3 reminds me of what Powell would do in Solo 17 years later. It's a fantastic score with some excellent new themes in its own right (and very effective action scoring too!)

Davis better adapted the action sound of JP, so the original themes work quite well with it.

John Powel did in Solo more or less his own thing. That is why Solo sounds almost completely like a Powel score and you clearly recongize where Williams starts and Powel ends. In JPIII it is not so clear to me.

It is funny. When you listen to the JPIII score you think, what a cool exciting movie this must be.

But when you see it...

Similar with The Lost World.

The movies don't fulfill what the score promises.

1 hour ago, Permanent Waves said:

You mean the the martial version of the island theme when they are rescued (I think)? I think it’s quite a witty use of it to be honest. Although you could argue that Davis almost parodies the lame arse ending of the film!

He really should have made much more use of Big Hat, No Cattle by Randy Newman though. A great lost opportunity :P (I’m sure many here don’t love that song on the soundtrack but it’s a typically humorous Newman song and the lyrics are very apt in the movie. The album it’s from, Bad Love, is one of his best). 

25 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

3 is easily the worst movie. I wish I could say I'm done with the franchise after Fallen Kingdom, but... I can't.

JPIII is not a good movie, but it's better (or, at least, more watchable) than the awful Fallen Kingdom. 

JPIII is a terrible movie but IMO it's more watchable than *either* of the two Jurassic World movies, which had no spark or chemistry or soul at all... somehow JPIII was more refreshingly honest about being a studio cash grab, or something...

Yavar

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@Kasey Kockroach, Yavar is indirectly bashing BDH's acting abilities. What are you gonna do about it?

Actually I'm a big fan of BDH ever since I saw The Village (and her Black Mirror episode might be my favorite of that series, thanks to her in large part)...and I really like Chris Pratt too! But...not together, it seems. To say the least. Jake Johnson provided the very few moments of enjoyment I had watching Jurassic World. Everyone else was major MEH even including a lot of other talented actors. Irrfan Khan sure was wasted.

Yavar

22 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Also neither JW or FK feature a Randy Newman song, therefore rendering them superior.

Randy is a National Treasure.

37 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

the two Jurassic World movies, which had no spark or chemistry or soul at all...

This is the good take.  These World movies are DOA.

In fairness, no one has chemistry with Chris Pratt. 

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Randy is a National Treasure.

I like his scores. The only song of his I like is the one about short people.

2 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

In fairness, no one has chemistry with Chris Pratt. 

Aubrey Plaza did!

But yea, he had no chemistry with Jennifer Lawrence in Passengers either

And IRL, dumping Anna Farris for Katherine Schwarzenegger seems like a huge downgrade

Bringing his actual personal relationships into a conversation about his on-screen performances and chemistry is weird.

8 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I like his scores. The only song of his I like is the one about short people.

You can't have listened to albums like Sail Away or Good Old Boys.  "Short People", while being a great song, is still a lesser version of the kinds of songs he had been writing 5 years earlier.

July flyer is here

205704244_10160030561903755_280195309681

La La Land is having a heat wave!

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10160030562508755

I wonder if they'll also have titles on July 27th or if this is it for the month

6 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Hasn't Somewhere In Time mostly been re-recordings? That's one I was always curious in (thanks to the Reeves connection).

There is a fine re-recording on Varese by the RSNO under John Debney but not sure if the original album is a re-recording. Was quite surprised to discover that I don't own the original album so will definitely be picking this up.

I may be interested in Somewhere in Time, I will be interested to see what the details look like on that one. 

There may be fun in the other scores, but I'm not familiar with those or the films.