The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

that's on the FSM as a bonus track already

Not the film take/orchestration. The FSM track is an alt.

The film version is only available on the LLL 50th anniversary rarities disc.

Crazy that it's already been 12 years since the FSM release!

Sounds like a new source was discovered. A whole technical discussion on what sources were used for the FSM release, and it sounds painstaking.

According to NSB:

Okay, so maybe there were more tapes. Details coming soon.

I wonder if more tapes means they found some new alternates? Or just an improved source? Either way, sounds positive! I nearly picked up the FSM a few months back, but now I'm glad I didn't!

25 minutes ago, Holko said:

No, it's not. It has the full revised version with narration and an early shorter version without. 

I don't necessarily need this but not saying no just yet. We'll see what the overall upgrade is like. The most important thing is the score should remain in print forever for everyone to enjoy. 

Karol

I will buy this for a 4th time if the sound has a noticeable improvement.

I would imagine they might preserve the LP presentation for those who want it. Perhaps more alternates were found. I kinda wish they could separate “The Eels of Ceti Alpha V/Kirk in Space Shuttle”, even though they were meant to be one cue.

7 minutes ago, Ollie said:

I will buy this for a 4th time if the sound has a noticeable improvement.

I would imagine they might preserve the LP presentation for those who want it. Perhaps more alternates were found. I kinda wish they could separate “The Eels of Ceti Alpha V/Kirk in Space Shuttle”, even though they were meant to be one cue.

If Horner recorded it as one cue, than it will be impossible to separate.

Just now, Permanent Waves said:

If Horner recorded it as one cue, than it will be impossible to separate.

I know. 🙁

I would hazard a guess that Star Trek III will be on a LLL flyer in the coming months. 😉

I have an "OST edit" of Battle in the Mutara Nebula where I took the FSM track and dropped in the silence from the GNP CD. I actually prefer that version. When those horns come roaring back out of nowhere, wow. 

Obviously I'll be very curious to see if it's just that track plus the Epilogue sans dialog OR if there is more. 

Here's hoping for some better quality masters which hopefully can mean it pops like it should. I'll get it, it's one of my favourite scores and (if pushed) probably my favourite Horner score and only a hair away from being as good as Jerry's original (although, let's face it, aside from both being for Star Trek movies, they are nothing alike). I don't know if there's much point in reproducing the original album since, as far as I know, the tracks are more or less as they appear in the full score (bit like with *batteries not included).

3 minutes ago, Permanent Waves said:

As mentioned above, Mutara Nebula has an overlay that was not present on the OST

Yeah, that's what I was alluding to. It's an incredibly subtle difference. Certainly not an album full of micro edits etc.!

I'm really puzzled. Very curious to learn what the second disc is for. If it's a substantial increase in sound quality over the FSM release, though, I'll fairly likely triple-dip regardless of whether there are any unexpected additional tracks. The FSM release's sound is a gargantuan step up from the OST, but I could imagine further improvement. It'd be a bummer to pay the two-disc price without much new material, but this is a simply fantastic score.

TWOK: 10,000 units.

To warrant that kind of run, there better be a lot more than remastering and a Nimoy-less track.

A lot more.

Multiple dips:

Cassette

LP

GNP CD

FSM CD

On 7/26/2021 at 3:53 AM, May the Force be with You said:

For Williams I think about Hook of course, don't know about the Horner's one even if I would love A Beautiful Mind or a Star Trek II expansion.

Goldsmith would be another 20th set or Innerspace

Good prediction on ST TWoK release!

21 hours ago, Holko said:

That's not correct.

They originally shot the film without the little coda showing Spock's casket on Genesis.  This cut of the film also had no music in the earlier scene in the Genesis cave either.  Horner scored this original ending, and that's what debuted as a bonus track on the FSM CD.

Later, they decided to add that extra bit to the end of the film, and quickly shot the casket on some soundstage.  Horner then recorded "The Genesis Cave" cue to put into that earlier scene, and also a new version of the finale cue that referenced back to some of that material.  That version of the finale cue appeared covered up with Nimoy's narration on both the OST album and the FSM CD.

Later, after I requested it in the request thread for the 50th anniversary set, LLL released that revised finale finally without narration on that 4CD set.

Yeah, maybe an Amazing Grace-less take of the funeral? That'd fit easily after the 75 minute FSM disc though.

I doubt anything was recorded for the funeral other than "Amazing Grace", but who knows.  Lukas Kendall did reveal that "Amazing Grace" was recorded in two different keys, and they elected not to put the alternate key version on the FSM CD:

I think the only alternate we didn't use was another version of Amazing Grace where the bagpipe was in a different key (a semitone away), because bagpipes don't tune well and Horner was trying to find the best key where it would be most in tune with the orchestra. Paramount was concerned it didn't reflect well on the score, because just an alternate that was sort of out of tune, so we dropped it.

He also indicated there could be different " Battle in the Mutara Nebula" overlays:

I also think there were a couple of experiments with the "musical sound FX" that were added to the Battle at the Mutara Nebula (not in the original album) before the Reliant charges out of the cloud and attacks Enterprise.

They also learned about a cue written that was - as far as he knew when he posted this - never recorded:

we later discovered that Horner wrote a very short (20-25 second cue) called "The Reliant," slated 2M1, I think for a Reliant flyby on its way to Ceti Alpha VI/V—but it was never recorded!

Am I misremembering or was it an early fully digital recording with not much to gain by a remaster at all?

The original 1st gen master was 1" tape containing the full 32 tracks of the original recording in 3M digital format, which is a obscure format that never took off, and only has 1 machine left on earth that can play (its at Disney Imagineering).  Apparently it stored the data at 50khz, unknown if 16bit or 24 bit.  For the FSM CD, they used Disney's machine and captured its output at 24/96.

There were 2 2nd gen elements, each only storing the 3-channel (Left Center Right) mixes of each performance-edited cue.  A 1/2" 3M digital tape that literally nothing on earth can read, and traditional 1/2" analog.  The majority of the FSM CD was built from a 24/44.1 transfer of that 1/2" analog tape element, while a few things taken from that 24/96 of the 1" 3M (they indicated anything from this came with lots of ticks they had to edit out so preferred the 1/2" 3-track source whenever possible)

In this FSM thread, Lukas Kendall brings up a 2" 24-track tape element that he thought existed, and was a "parallel recording", and also that this was used in one spot on the FSM CD to fill in for something that was "wonky" on the other two elements.  But then Neil Bulk pops into the thread to correct Lukas and say he is unaware of there being a 2" 24-track, so maybe Lukas's memory was faulty....

Except that, after LLL's flyer went live, Neil post this to the thread:

"Okay, so maybe there were more tapes. Details coming soon."

So, that could mean the 2" 24-track analog tape does exist after all, and that is the primary source of the new edition.  If true, that would result in more fidelity than ever before, if every other time we've ever heard the music it stemmed from that 50khz 1982-era-technology digital recording.

But, it could also just mean they found some alternate takes they had never heard before, and the primary source will remain that 1/2" analog 3-track (maybe this time re-transferred at 24/96 instead of 24/44.1). 

We'll hopefully find out soon!

20 hours ago, Ollie said:

I would hazard a guess that Star Trek III will be on a LLL flyer in the coming months. 😉

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that!  I don't know if that had any sub-par digital elements to worry about though.   It might not be able to be improved /changed at all - but just being back in print in identical sound for those who missed it to pick up would be great!

20 hours ago, Edmilson said:

*opens JWFan*

-Well, let's see what are the upcoming albums coming from LLL

*sees that there's no The Patriot*

-Yep, another disappointing month.

I feel like I've mentioned in various threads at least 4-5 times now that since The Patriot's OST album was on Hollywood Records, only Intrada can expand this score (the only other Hollywood Records expansion that has ever happened was Mission: Impossible 2 on Mondo vinyl).  I know you've seen these posts, so I don't know why you clog LLL threads up with disappointments about them not announcing a title they have no ability to release.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Horner scored this original ending, and that's what debuted as a bonus track on the FSM CD.

You all fail to mention the fact that even though the revision has that added section and the original doesn't, the narration goes over a later bit that references Courage's opening that's there in the alternate so that "insert" is completely irrelevant for the narration-no narration question. However, the relevant Courage part is also different, the alternate is missing the flute found in the main program version.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

feel like I've mentioned in various threads at least 4-5 times now that since The Patriot's OST album was on Hollywood Records, only Intrada can expand this score (the only other Hollywood Records expansion that has ever happened was Mission: Impossible 2 on Mondo vinyl).  I know you've seen these posts, so I don't know why you clog LLL threads up with disappointments about them not announcing a title they have no ability to release

I do that because I like to tease you and make you right paragraphs and paragraphs about "Intrada is the only one yada yada ". Maybe the best thing to do is to ignore my Patriot-related posts?

I am happy to see the Wrath of Khan and Time Tunnel announcements!  I had no clue new tapes (or whatever) had been found, that's super awesome, can't wait to learn more.

The other two August titles, I'm completely unfamiliar with.  Never even heard of the guy who scored Snake Eyes before, and from the other title I only recognize Lolita Ritramis' name

3 hours ago, Holko said:

You all fail to mention the fact that even though the revision has that added section and the original doesn't, the narration goes over a later bit that references Courage's opening that's there in the alternate so that "insert" is completely irrelevant for the narration-no narration question. However, the relevant Courage part is also different, the alternate is missing the flute found in the main program version.

But Horner usually records his cues as long segments instead of short broken up bits that get edited back together, so the revised version was possibly re-recorded in its entirety

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I doubt anything was recorded for the funeral other than "Amazing Grace", but who knows.  Lukas Kendall did reveal that "Amazing Grace" was recorded in two different keys, and they elected not to put the alternate key version on the FSM CD:

Whatever key it's in, I'm guessing the bagpipes will be in a different key to the orchestra ;-)

I wouldn't wholly object to an alternate version where they electronically retuned the bagpipes to match concert pitch tuning... but I'm guessing that's not a genuine option!

20 hours ago, Jay said:

I am happy to see the Wrath of Khan and Time Tunnel announcements!  I had no clue new tapes (or whatever) had been found, that's super awesome, can't wait to learn more.

The other two August titles, I'm completely unfamiliar with.  Never even heard of the guy who scored Snake Eyes before, and from the other title I only recognize Lolita Ritramis' name

Snake Eyes’ composer is “just” another modern action composer (Martin Todsharow), I listened to his (rather short) discography recently and didn’t hear anything that would interest your average John Williams aficionado! As far as modern RCP-imitations go, I’ve heard many worse that Todsharow at that, so he might have potential.

On 5/25/2021 at 12:00 PM, May the Force be with You said:

No news about First Knight coming back in stock then?

Guess it will be for next month now :crymore:

It's here!

BACK IN STOCK NOW! The last batch of Jerry Goldsmith's FIRST KNIGHT (2-CD SET) is finally here!

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10160102057043755

https://lalalandrecords.com/first-knight-limited-edition-2cd-set/

LAST CHANCE!

These legendary scores are going OUT OF PRINT at www.lalalandrecords.com -

THE GREAT RACE (less than 70 remain),

WYATT EARP (less than 50 remain),

JONNY QUEST (less than 100 remain) and

POLICE ACADEMY (less than 50 remain).

Get 'em before they be gone!

Also, back in stock

FIRST KNIGHT (LAST BATCH)
WARRIORS (LAST BATCH)

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=144774&forumID=1&archive=0

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Right.  Since when does excitement = impatience?

I don't get it.

Synonyms & Antonyms for impatience

Synonyms:

•  

He used the wrong word, thats pretty much it.

10 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

You seem particularly impatient about the next flyer

would it means something special is coming... ;)

Yes, Hook is coming! I will keep up the obsessive believing until I get it.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Right.  Since when does excitement = impatience?

I don't get it.

Sorry I made a poor choice of word. In french we basically use impatient and excitement the same way because they're so linked.

Now I was referring about your excitement because I don't recall to have seen a post from you previous month saying "1 week to go till the next LLL flyer! "

plus I think you've mentionned that there was 2 weeks left until september's flyer on another thread (can't recall which though) so to me it's sounded like a lot of excitement/impatience :)

But what's the difference between the two words? In what situation are you excited about something but not impatient for it to happen? I guess impatient could stress some irritation, but other than that...

Isn't there rumored to be one more John Williams cd released before the year is out?

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Not that I'm aware of

Am I confusing something? 

MV: We have some spectacular releases coming from Williams, Horner, and some guy named Goldsmith

The Horner is STII. 

But I don't recall having seen that Williams title. 

22 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

Am I confusing something? 

The Horner is STII. 

But I don't recall having seen that Williams title. 

Time Tunnel Vol II :(

1 minute ago, Holko said:

They can't be that evil.

Right?

It came out in the same flyer as the Horner they mentioned right?

EDIT: tho, the Goldsmith wasn't, so I dunno...