The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

1 hour ago, Bounty95 said:

Am I confusing something? 

The Horner is STII. 

But I don't recall having seen that Williams title. 

He posted that before Time Tunnel Vol 2 was announced. 

MV indicated a flood of great soundtracks were coming from his label starting with their May batch.  We then got

X-Men in May

Always In June

Somewhere In Time in July

The Wrath of Khan in August

All of these are huge important titles, the first ever expansion for 3 of them and the definitive expansion of the fourth.  And all four of them were produced by Mike Matessino, two also by Neil Bulk!

So yea, I'm excited to see what September brings.

That's all I meant.

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, me too. It's easily the best non-Williams HP score, with all due respect to Hooper and Desplat. 

Agreed, although the Hooper ones are a bit unfairly maligned, but Doyle's terrific (even if the Goblet of Fire theme sounds a bit like an old Zimmer TV theme... of all things). I'd welcome an expansion and some remastering as I find the existing release a bit tiring to listen to at times, not sure if it's the mix or the orchestration or both.

I wonder if it would fit on one disc. From memory even the promo was missing music the film had (the big build up to the aviary sequence being a key omission, if it wasn't editorially created). 

I'm not sure whether the promo is actually missing anything, but it has alternates/mixes in some parts.

The build-up to the aviary sequence has been a mystery since the film came out. I'm pretty sure it's editorially created, but from what? Either way, my hope is that an eventual expansion contains whatever was used for that bit.

On the HP side, the ideal for me would be to have a box set for scores 4-6, followed by another one for both parts of The Deathly Hallows.

I think Deathly Hallows deserves that treatment, and a box set (similar to the John Williams set for 1-3) would complete the musical picture for these scores, giving them a generous spotlight of their own.

I'm sure a  proper JP3 set would have the proper film takes/mixes of every cue as the Disc 1 main program, and Disc 2 would be the OST album (keeping whatever mixes it used) followed by any alternate takes/mixes of cues that weren't on the OST album but were on the promo (or were just found to exist)

24 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

I would be very happy to see JP3 released, both because it is a good score (from what I remember), and to complete the Jurassic Park trilogy musically.

Ditto. I've mentioned a number of times my considerable appreciation for this score which I still find significantly more enjoyable than the Jurassic World scores, and with a better appreciation of JW's style mixed with Davis's own style. Fingers crossed for that.

7 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

On the HP side, the ideal for me would be to have a box set for scores 4-6, followed by another one for both parts of The Deathly Hallows.

I think Deathly Hallows deserves that treatment, and a box set (similar to the John Williams set for 1-3) would complete the musical picture for these scores, giving them a generous spotlight of their own.

Good idea! I'm not sure I'd get a great deal out of expanded versions of the Desplat scores as I find them hard work at times as they are (and less outright enjoyable than any of the other scores in the series) but maybe an expansion would increase my appreciation.

6 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Didn’t MV mention JP 3 as something they were looking into or planning on doing down the road?

Yep, I think even Mike said he would be happy to work on it (unless I'm confusing his comment about hoping to do HP4). 

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

Didn’t MV mention JP 3 as something they were looking into or planning on doing down the road?

Here is exactly what MV said, almost 5 years ago now: click

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Yep, I think even Mike said he would be happy to work on it (unless I'm confusing his comment about hoping to do HP4). 

Mike definitely said on a podcast he'd be happy to do HP4, yes.  I do not recall him saying the same about JP3 anywhere, but I could very well be misremembering.

Perhaps someone has to sign off on it? Williams? Spielberg? (Tom Cruise??)

On a related note, is there any known reason why Davis' Bound has never been officially released? That's a fine score (and a clear Matrix precursor, even with all the Herrmanesque (and actual Herrmann) stuff it's going for).

I do not believe there's been a specialty label title for any Grammercy Pictures release, nor any through Focus Features, who owns them now.  Maybe they aren't open to licensing.

18 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

It's what I was thinking. To me the two are absolutly linked. When I'm impatient, I get excited and when I get excited about a release I become impatient.

I speak only English, and trust me, what you were saying was not even vaguely hard to understand.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:58 AM, Richard Penna said:

Hah, every time I see JP3 mentioned, I keep scrolling up to try to find some clue or announcement, and always find it's just the usual 'why hasn't it come out yet?' :lol:

Same! All I can really add to what hasn't already been said is, when they eventually do this release, PLEASE have the "Kirby Paint & Tile Plus" ringtone as a hidden bonus track. ;)

2 hours ago, scallenger said:

Same! All I can really add to what hasn't already been said is, when they eventually do this release, PLEASE have the "Kirby Paint & Tile Plus" ringtone as a hidden bonus track. ;)

They should overlay it on "Nash Calling".

The sessions that were floating around for years for HP4 had 'damaged' cues - not sure if that meant corrupted files or the tapes themselves were damaged. Would love to see an expansion of it as there's a bunch of music left off the OST.

I'm on the fence a bit with whether I'd purchase HP4, but only because I feel Doyle, et al, did a way better job of making representative and comprehensive albums than JW ever will. JW creates the need for expansions right off the bat, just as an inherent part of him making his albums how he does.

Whereas I'd instantly buy expansions of all the Jurassic scores.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

The sessions that were floating around for years for HP4 had 'damaged' cues - not sure if that meant corrupted files or the tapes themselves were damaged. Would love to see an expansion of it as there's a bunch of music left off the OST.

The tapes themselves were damaged. Besides, 90% of those sessions cues sound like they come from vinyls.

23 minutes ago, Arpy said:

If the tapes were damaged, how will they work around making an expansion? Film stems etc.?

It would depend on what the tapes were that were damaged, fhose tapes could have just been a DAT copy or something

18 hours ago, Arpy said:

17 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The tapes themselves were damaged. Besides, 90% of those sessions cues sound like they come from vinyls.

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

If the tapes were damaged, how will they work around making an expansion? Film stems etc.?

4 hours ago, Permanent Waves said:

It would depend on what the tapes were that were damaged, fhose tapes could have just been a DAT copy or something

As far as I'm aware, the leak did actually come from a DAT copy of the sessions. I doubt a score from a franchise as big as this would have that be the only master source they have (especially with at least one film revision being missing). The cues with the "DAMAGED" label are ones that essentially are unlistenable, given it'd be too riddled with noise. That being said, I have seen people be able to completely clean them and have it sound perfectly fine, so assuming these are from the actual masters, LLL probably should be able to work with them easily if internet folk can do their audio trickery.

Lest speculate:

Anymore Williams this month? I hope we can get 'Amistad'. As for another James Horner title I'd like to see is 'Glory'. As an African -Amercian related theme these would make a terrific combo for a release.....

As for Goldsmith maybe we could get another Fox series title..

P.S. Battle of Antietem (Anniv. ) as in GLORY takes place on Sep 17th. ...

For anyone wondering when the banner might drop today,

May's arrived at 11:51am EST

June's arrived at 3:18pm EST

July's arrived at 1:18pm EST

August's arrived at 12:19pm EST

So that's a window of about 2 hours from now through about 5 hours from now