The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

So this 'Goldsmith at 20th' line is reissuing expansions they did previously but are OOP, and occasionally with extra music?

I honestly lose track of what Goldsmith has been released and when.

I think MV posted at some point they wanted to redo Innerspace but that was years ago now and it hasn't turned up yet

Well it can't be held up at WMG for approvals because we recently got AI and TWOK reissues by LLL & WMG

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Well it can't be held up at WMG for approvals because we recently got AI and TWOK reissues by LLL & WMG

What makes you think anything would be held up by approvals at WMG? No one at the labels has said anything about that. And the original Innerspace album was on Geffen I believe, so if they have perpetuity rights I think that would be UMG they have to deal with.

But we *do* know that Warner Bros., the film studio has become more difficult and expensive to deal with… that’s why LLL had The Adventures of Batman and Robin’s cover on their poster over *two years ago* and it still hasn’t come out! The Swarm finally came out in early 2020 but it had been in the works for years, as I understand it.

Yavar

Oh snap, I hadn't realized the Innerspace OST came out on a UMG label and not a WMG label.  Well that explains it.  We've still only gotten 4 of the 9 UMG projects LLL wants to release this year

So that on top of WB Pictures being a pain for a few years now, definitely explains why we don't have a new Innerspace yet, indeed!

Hopefully the Nov 15 AND BF batch each have at least one UMG title in them...

@Jay I think it's possible UMG may not even have perpetuity rights to Innerspace because the back cover of the prior release doesn't mention them (as would typically be done for any entity licensed from), only Warner Bros.:

R-3530496-1492982828-8032.jpeg.jpg

It's weird, right?

Yavar

Huh, that is interesting; The press blurb from 2010 doesn't mention UMG either.

"Presenting the world premiere score-only release of renowned composer Jerry Goldsmith’s (THE OMEN, PATTON, BASIC INSTINCT, GREMLINS) original score to the beloved 1987 Warner Bros. sci-fi/action-adventure/comedy INNERSPACE, starring Dennis Quaid, Martin Short, Meg Ryan and directed by Joe Dante. Goldsmith’s classic mix of synth and orchestra finds the perfect pitch of suspense, adventure and romance to propel Dante’s wonderfully off-beat genre mash-up. Produced by MV Gerhard and Mike Matessino, and remastered by Mike Matessino from WB vault elements, this definitive release of INNERSPACE features more than 50 minutes of previously unreleased music, and includes exclusive, in-depth liner notes by Dan Goldwasser and Jeff Bond (with new interview comments from Joe Dante and others). Limited Edition of 3000 Units."

So yea, guess it was only a temporary license and WB Pictures is the only owner now.  Neat!

@Jay maybe it's because Sony had overseas rights in Japan, or something? Maybe the rights split made it so that nobody had perpetuity rights?

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/1873/Innerspace

Or... half the original album was songs, so maybe that made it a "compilation" or something, which messed with the rights? But that wouldn't be consistent with Gremlins, which also had a half-songs half-score release originally on Geffen:

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/7584/Gremlins

When FSM put out the definitive complete edition of that, they had to license the original Geffen album from UMG and the unreleased film cues from Warner Bros. Pictures, which is what I would have expected LLL had to do with Innerspace (but apparently not):

482_900268.jpg

And what about The Lonely Guy, released by Intrada a couple years back? That had an original album release (again songs + score) not on Geffen but on MCA, another UMG-owned label:

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/28129/Lonely+Guy%2C+The

Intrada had to license the original album from UMG and the previously unreleased music from Universal Pictures (a wholly different entity now, as I'm sure you know):

image.png

And what's really weird is that Intrada (unlike FSM for Gremlins!) actually has the GEFFEN logo on the back cover, even though according to Soundtrack Collector both the original LP and cassette release of The Lonely Guy were not on Geffen but were on MCA!

Yavar

UMG currently uses the Geffen branding for music releases in the USA, rather than MCA Records.

For example the 1993 OST of Jurassic Park was on MCA Records, but the 2013 20th anniversary expansion was released by Geffen

I somehow totally missed this skimming through the first time, I'm surprised nobody has brought up the 19% off sale!!!  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BASH – 19% OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE!

It’s our Birthday Month and we’re 19 years old! Celebrate with us by taking 19% OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE! You’ll get the discount applied when you complete your order at checkout.

This special offer applies to IN-STOCK items only and EXCLUDES our recent releases of GLORY and STRIPES.

Offer starts on 10/5 at 12 noon (pst) and is good through 10/18.

Once our 19% OFF sale starts on 10/5, it will be the perfect time to grab these titles before they are SOLD OUT and no longer available. When they are gone, they’re GONE…!

WATERWORLD, MILLENNIUM VOL 1, TIME TUNNEL TV VOL 1, GALAXY QUEST, X2, CREEPSHOW, DAY OF THE DEAD, X-FILES FIGHT THE FUTURE, SHAFT, HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, ROMANCING THE STONE, KRULL, TAKE A HARD RIDE, THE PAGEMASTER, BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, GOD OF WAR, LOVE HAPPENS, SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA TV SET, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER, AIRPLANE II, THE ACCUSED and ALTERED STATES.

2 hours ago, Smeltington said:

I couldn't think of anything I wanted from that sale. They excluded Glory, and Wrath of Khan is out of stock.

Does Intrada ever do sales like this? I need about 4 things from them...

But TWOK is Star Trek, and Glory isn't very good either...

Purchases:

• The Pagemaster (only $8!)
  • Superman II & III
  • Goldsmith at Fox vol. 1. Yeah, I did it. :mellow:
  • Somewhere in Time
  • Always

Please note we do not expect anything to come back into stock for the next 3 to 4 weeks. We are so busy playing catch up with new orders replacement cds and back orders, not to mention wrap up our Black Friday titles that we simply don't have the resources to focus on bringing back in older titles at this time. Khan in particular took a lot out of us. So if you wanna blame something...

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!!!!!!

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=145416&forumID=1&archive=0

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh snap, I hadn't realized the Innerspace OST came out on a UMG label and not a WMG label.  Well that explains it.  We've still only gotten 4 of the 9 UMG projects LLL wants to release this year

So that on top of WB Pictures being a pain for a few years now, definitely explains why we don't have a new Innerspace yet, indeed!

Hopefully the Nov 15 AND BF batch each have at least one UMG title in them...

Wait, they're gonna do a batch on Nov 15 and then BF? That's a lot in a short space of time.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Wait, they're gonna do a batch on Nov 15 and then BF? 

On 02/09/2021 at 5:16 PM, Jay said:

The following is our planned release dates for the rest of the year:

SEPTEMBER 14
OCTOBER 5
NOVEMBER 15
NOVEMBER 30 (OUR LAST BATCH OF THE YEAR...AKA OUR BLACK FRIDAY TITLES)

Thanks and have a good day

MV

Yes.

• Monday, November 1 flyer showing the titles we can buy on Tuesday, November 16 (I assume he made a typo when he said Nov 15)

then

• Friday, November 26 Black Friday announcements showing the titles we can buy on Tuesday, November 30

52 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:
2 hours ago, Jay said:

announcements showing the tiles we can buy on Tues

LLL expanding into flooring now? ;)

It's probably for the stairs:

45 minutes ago, Jay said:
  1. Across The Stairs (2021 update of 2019 arrangement)

Geez I hope the USPS suspension of shipments to Australia has ended by November. Hard to get excited about any titles right now when nothing can be shipped here. 

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But TWOK is Star Trek, and Glory isn't very good either...

Your post is not off to a strong start.

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:
  • The Pagemaster (only $8!)
  • Superman II & III
  • Goldsmith at Fox vol. 1. Yeah, I did it. :mellow:
  • Somewhere in Time
  • Always

Thank you for these recommendations. But how serious are they? Especially considering how you chose to start out your post?

I don't want Superman II & III, sorry to say. And I don't want Always because it sounded like I would have to rearrange some of the tracks, and I don't feel like buying too many more CDs that I won't actually play, so I'm kinda hoping one day I can buy something like that digitally instead.

What are Pagemaster and Somewhere in Time? I like the names.

Edit: Okay so I can't find Somewhere in Time by searching their site. I think it's gone. I did find Pagemaster, which it turns out is Horner, but it didn't come up when I searched for "Horner". Is that a good Horner, really? And it's the OST... does it need an expansion?

10 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Your post is not off to a strong start.

Thank you for these recommendations. But how serious are they? Especially considering how you chose to start out your post?

I don't want Superman II & III, sorry to say. And I don't want Always because it sounded like I would have to rearrange some of the tracks, and I don't feel like buying too many more CDs that I won't actually play, so I'm kinda hoping one day I can buy something like that digitally instead.

What are Pagemaster and Somewhere in Time? I like the names.

Edit: Okay so I can't find Somewhere in Time by searching their site. I think it's gone. I did find Pagemaster, which it turns out is Horner, but it didn't come up when I searched for "Horner". Is that a good Horner, really? And it's the OST... does it need an expansion?

You would kinda need Superman II and III if you are a Williams completist, as it has additional cues from Superman the Movie (as well as an unused cue alternate re-recorded for II), but seeing what you say about "Always", I wouldn't worry about it.

39 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

(as well as an unused cue re-recorded for II)

You mean a not entirely different alternate.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

Somewhere in Time?

Wow. Seriously?

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

And I don't want Always because it sounded like I would have to rearrange some of the tracks, and I don't feel like buying too many more CDs that I won't actually play, so I'm kinda hoping one day I can buy something like that digitally instead.

Always was one of the high points of my year.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Geez I hope the USPS suspension of shipments to Australia has ended by November. Hard to get excited about any titles right now when nothing can be shipped here. 

An alternative is to get it shipped to someone in the US who could then deliver it using any other postal service than USPS. I've ordered a few things from the US that have so far (fingers crossed) been processed through the USPS system. So if they don't go through then we'll know for sure nothing else is gonna get through.

3 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Thank you for these recommendations. But how serious are they?

Well, I purchased them, didn't I?

When there's a sale I allow myself to take chances, and buy stuff that's not top of the barrel - I like to discover new music. If I don't like all the albums, I'll sell them for a profit.

The Pagemaster is not the OST, but an expansion. I'm not very familiar with it, but for the price I'm willing to take the chance. From other posters' descriptions it sounds like it's almost a collection of highlight of other Horner scores, which I don't mind.

I wasn't planning to purchase Superman II & III, but I got intrigued when someone here recommended Superman II, and it's always fun to hear new variations on JW's awesome themes.

Somewhere in Time is one of Barry's calm scores in the vein of Out of Africa and Dances With Wolves (already got the OST, which is very short).

Always I purchased because it's JW, and I want to hear the alternates (already got the OST).

Goldsmith at Fox vol. 1 I purchased because I like a good vintage war score. I'm not sure it's a keeper, though.

31 minutes ago, Arpy said:

An alternative is to get it shipped to someone in the US who could then deliver it using any other postal service than USPS. I've ordered a few things from the US that have so far (fingers crossed) been processed through the USPS system. So if they don't go through then we'll know for sure nothing else is gonna get through.

I don't see why the labels can't throw us a bone and offer an alternative postage service. Am I missing something here?

I asked Intrada if they would consider offering DHL (even if I paid the difference) and they never replied.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Possibly an exclusivity deal? If you use our postal service, you'll get it cheaper?

It's possible, but if USPS are refusing to accept parcels for an entire country, surely that's a breach of the exclusivity conditions (if that's the case). 

Seems unlikely they would prevent LLL from using alternative providers if they can't solve the logistics of shipping to a particular country themselves.

Suffice to say it's dampened my interest in buying expansions, after supporting the labels for so many years. No fault of the labels, of course, just a reflection of the frustrating reality we find ourselves in. 

23 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Have you asked LLL if they can use a different shipping service?

I have no outstanding orders from them, so no.

But I've asked Intrada and they never responded.

I got a shipping notification from La La Land yesterday for my order of Stripes, Glory and Star Trek II. It says they use Global Post Standard International to Australia, which according to Google has not been interrupted by the USPS restrictions to Australia.

That's good to know, so LLL have smartly switched to an alternative mail provider. Nice work, LLL!

So why isn't Intrada just changing to another mail service instead of leaving Australian customers in the dark, simply because USPS are refusing shipments?

I'm really impressed with LLL, this is why I've been an avid supporter for over a decade. Makes me look forward to what the rest of the year will bring from them.

Next time there's an Intrada release I want, I'll email them and see if they could use the same alternative as LLL.

39 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Pagemaster has two tracks of Horner pirate music. That makes it a must have.

He seems to be enjoying his swashbuckling Korngold mode a lot in some of his work. 

Karol

3 minutes ago, Hedji said:

And the "Laughing Bandit" cue from Rocketeer.

This is of course a more straightforward pastiche type homage, but I would also say that "Flying Circus" is very Korngoldian in places while also sounding like pure Horner.