The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Well thanks guys, sounds like I'm buying Pagemaster! And looking back through the mists of time, I see that BloodBoal liked it, which kinda gives it a special shine.

@Jurassic Shark, I see that you're a serious man after all. Thanks for breaking down all your recommendations.

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If I don't like all the albums, I'll sell them for a profit.

Where, eBay?

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Pagemaster is not the OST, but an expansion.

I was thrown off because the cover of the LLL says "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" but I see now that they did expand it, and with Mike's magic touch.

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Wow. Seriously?

What, is it a classic I never knew about? I don't have any Barry scores at all, so I probably should be careful which one I start with until I find out if I'm a fan.

10 hours ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

it has additional cues from Superman the Movie (as well as an unused cue re-recorded for II)

What does it have that wasn't on the last Superman 1 expansion?

5 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

What does it have that wasn't on the last Superman 1 expansion?

To which expansion are you referring? The Blue Box or the Superman 1 "40th" Expansion?

2 hours ago, Smeltington said:

The 40th... my beloved!

Track 6 and 16 of the set are alternates of the end of the Flying Sequence, that are more 70's pop sounding, but do have a very beautiful slightly shorter statement of the Love theme at the end (which is also in the final version, but is even more moving in this performance/mix IMHO)

And some source cues, including the Luau music from Luthor's lair in the middle of the film.

Superman II re-recorded an unused early version of To The Lair, which uses less of the Superman Theme.

(Around 0:52)

The 40th anniversary edition of Superman: The Movie (actually released in 2019 instead of 2018 due to delays) contains the complete score and original album, and every alternate that was recorded.

The LLL Superman II / IIII set contains all the source music recorded for Superman: The Movie, including some that had never been located when making the Rhino set and Blue Box.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The 40th anniversary edition of Superman: The Movie....contains every alternate that was recorded.

(EDIT:) Not every alternate, it doesn't include the Flying Sequence alternates that are on the Superman II/III set (11m3 and 11m3alt)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Explain?

Tracks 6 and 16 on that (EDIT:) Superman II/III (:END EDIT) set are alternates for the last cue of The Flying Sequence (I Like Pink, I Can Fly, To the Moon, Flying Part III), they aren't source cues.

They could be considered songs (they may have been intended to be for when CYRMM was going to be a sung performance), but I personally consider them (alternate) score cues

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

I see that you're a serious man after all.

You ironic hipster!

Where, eBay?

That's where I usually sell, but I'll check out the selling terms on Discogs as I think eBay has become too expensive.

What, is it a classic I never knew about? I don't have any Barry scores at all, so I probably should be careful which one I start with until I find out if I'm a fan.

It a nice score, but Out of Africa, Dances with Wolves, and possibly Born Free are superior.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

He seems to be enjoying his swashbuckling Korngold mode a lot in some of his work. 

The pirate/sea music in Pagemaster sounds more British than Korngoldian to me though.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The pirate/sea music in Pagemaster sounds more British than Korngoldian to me though.

Yes, it's a bit more windswept, nautical fanfare than balletic sword fighting. I don't think Korngoldian was really James Horner's style, even with his more intricate action writing. He tended to keep things a bit more Slavic (or Goldsmithian, if we're being harsh)!

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

You've completely lost me.  Tracks 6 and 16 of what set?

Sorry, The Superman II/III set.

Why are you bringing up the Superman III / III set, as a reply to my comment that said "The 40th anniversary edition of Superman: The Movie (actually released in 2019 instead of 2018 due to delays) contains the complete score and original album, and every alternate that was recorded." ?

EDIT: Oh I see, you are saying you consider two of the tracks released on the II/III set to be score alternates rather than source music.  Man, that took a while to parse out

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Goldsmith at Fox vol. 1 I purchased because I like a good vintage war score. I'm not sure it's a keeper, though.

Uh.... you're not sure if The Blue Max is going to be a keeper? (Von Ryan's Express isn't bad of course, but it isn't The Blue Max.) Suffice to say I'll be very, very surprised if you don't keep it. And this is a score that reveals more with each listen, and gets better and better the more you go back.

On 05/10/2021 at 5:13 AM, Richard Penna said:

I honestly lose track of what Goldsmith has been released and when.

If you want to see chronologically, the News page (and yearly Archives) at Jerry Goldsmith Online are probably the best reference:

http://www.jerrygoldsmithonline.com/news.htm

On 05/10/2021 at 5:13 AM, Richard Penna said:

So this 'Goldsmith at 20th' line is reissuing expansions they did previously but are OOP, and occasionally with extra music?

Not exactly.

Vol. 1 had The Blue Max (reissue of OOP definitive LLL expansion from several years before) and Von Ryan's Express (never before released by LLL, but a reissue of OOP Intrada expansion from several years before, but still apparently missing one cue)... I've heard tell of some minor sound tweaks and such to this volume, but don't know specifics.

Vol. 2 had two titles never before released by LLL: The Flim-Flam Man (*expanded* by one missing cue over the FSM edition from a couple decades ago) and The Detective (identical program to the Intrada version previously paired with Von Ryan's Express and the original release as part of the Varese Sarabande Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century Fox box set -- frustratingly, even though there was room on the disc, this left off a lot of source music overseen by Goldsmith as well as TWO score cues which were included on the Twilight Time Blu-ray isolated score track, albeit one of them from a music & effects source).

Vol. 3 had three titles never before released by LLL: Goldsmith's great finale cue from Flaming Star (his first ever work for the studio was as part of a "committee score" during a turbulent time at Fox, when multiple different composers wrote original music in a patchwork... the complete score was released as a Twilight Time Blu-ray isolated score track years ago but this is the premiere of any of it on CD, and also the first time we hear the Goldsmith cue with its original recorded ending rather than the revised ending in the film), Goldsmith's first ever full score recorded for the studio, The Stripper (also the first feature film directed by Franklin Schaffner that he scored, though they'd worked together in live television; this is a greatly improved, much better sounding presentation compared with the original FSM release from two decades ago), and finally a significant expansion almost doubling the length of SPYS (also its first time available outside of the expensive Varese Goldsmith at Fox box set, which had less than 19 minutes of the score).

Vol. 4 is actually the first time since Vol. 1's The Blue Max they have chosen to reissue a previous Goldsmith Fox expansion of theirs, Tora! Tora! Tora! (confirmed identical to their 2013 edition), but it also features a rebuilt-from-the-ground-up (by Neil S. Bulk) version of Ace Eli and Rodger of the Skies, restored by none other than Chris Malone (the wizard behind the Take Her, She's Mine restoration for Intrada). The old FSM edition is again about two decades old at this point, and featured a number of damaged stereo cues which have now been repaired. This might be a revelation on the level of The Towering Inferno, which Chris also worked on...

On 05/10/2021 at 5:14 AM, crumbs said:

Understandable. How many releases is it this year, so far? Must be over 20 at this point.

Do you mean this past 12 months? Or does "this year" = 2021? If the latter, we have had 13 Goldsmith releases so far, but two of those were LLL two-fers, so in terms of Goldsmith scores it would number 15. If you count Intrada's reissue of Rio Conchos/The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint as two also (because of the latter short score), and if you count the 2.5 minute finale cue from Flaming Star included in LLL's Vol. 3, then the total still only comes to 17.

But if by "this year" you mean "this past 12 months", then I think you're right that we've passed 20 titles.

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Suffice to say I'll be very, very surprised if you don't keep it. And this is a score that reveals more with each listen, and gets better and better the more you go back.

I wasn't that impressed by the score as heard on the Tadlow release. I just got the feeling some of the tracks should have been more elaborate. But maybe there's an aspect of the original recording that will make it more appealing to me.

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wasn't that impressed by the score as heard on the Tadlow release. I just got the feeling some of the tracks should have been more elaborate. But maybe there's an aspect of the original recording that will make it more appealing to me.

Nah, I think you're just deaf.

I Have No Idea Shrug GIF

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It a nice score, but Out of Africa, Dances with Wolves, and possibly Born Free are superior.

I'd definitely start with DWW, it has it all.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

For what it’s worth it’s my least favorite Tadlow Goldsmith, and I almost never listen to it, favoring the original recording instead. I’ll be interested if you find it more thrilling as I do.

Yavar

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The suite on Jerry Goldsmith with the Philharmonia is a nice well-recorded truncated representation of the score. You might also prefer the performance, think it's a bit punchier if that's the right term.

12 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

For what it’s worth it’s my least favorite Tadlow Goldsmith, and I almost never listen to it, favoring the original recording instead.

Sounds promising!

7 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

The suite on Jerry Goldsmith with the Philharmonia

I've got that one! Have to check it out again when I find out which box it's in...

12 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'd definitely start with DWW, it has it all.

I find Out of Africa the most compelling, especially the original recording.

7 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

The suite on Jerry Goldsmith with the Philharmonia is a nice well-recorded truncated representation of the score. You might also prefer the performance, think it's a bit punchier if that's the right term.

Interesting, is that this CD you're talking about?

https://www.discogs.com/release/8617441-Jerry-Goldsmith-With-The-Philharmonia-Orchestra-The-Soundtracks-Of-Jerry-Goldsmith-With-The-Philharm

I've never heard that, but it sounds interesting!

EDIT: Oh wait!  Is that this on Spotify under a different name?

31 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

For what it’s worth it’s my least favorite Tadlow Goldsmith, and I almost never listen to it, favoring the original recording instead. I’ll be interested if you find it more thrilling as I do.

Interesting. I have at least three releases of the original recording, but I'm just as happy with the Tadlow.

26 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I always found that a bit too slow and unenthusiastic. The best version I've heard was the LSO's in 2001, sadly unreleased.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Interesting, is that this CD you're talking about?

https://www.discogs.com/release/8617441-Jerry-Goldsmith-With-The-Philharmonia-Orchestra-The-Soundtracks-Of-Jerry-Goldsmith-With-The-Philharm

I've never heard that, but it sounds interesting!

EDIT: Oh wait!  Is that this on Spotify under a different name?

Yep. Same contents as the Deram - except for Legend which is from the OST - licenced and reissued by Silva, it seems, in perp as the contents also appear on Jerry Goldsmith: 40 Years of Film Music.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

You've just embedded the same thing I did :)

I will listen to that later!

It's a terrific album. The Lionheart selection makes one cry as to what the original could have been if performed by a better orchestra.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's like the JW VPO concert recording raised to the power of 100.

But you don't like the JW VPO recording?

23 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Any opinions on OSTs vs expansions for these scores?

39 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

But you don't like the JW VPO recording?

Most of it is quite good. :)

39 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Any opinions on OSTs vs expansions for these scores?

Africa: The OST has the best performances (hasn't been expanded). That recording of the main theme has never been matched. The re-recording (Varese) is slightly longer.

Wolves: There's three different releases of the original recordings: The OST (Sony), the first expansion (also Sony), and the LaLa-Land expansion. It's very good music, but to me the complete thing is a tad too repetitive so I prefer listening to the first expansion (although I've got both).

Born Free: For a long time the OST only existed on vinyl (hipster alert), until it was released on CD by FSM. I'm only familiar with the re-recording (Varese). It's good.

Somewhere in time: There's the OST, which is too short, the Varese re-recording, which might be too long and repetitive, and now this expansion of the original recording. I'll do a comparison when I get my order.

Some updates from MV:

With the new DUNE movie coming in October, how are things looking for TOTO's 1984 DUNE?

Or Zimmer's Dune if it doesn't come out on CD by WaterTower?

Nope and nope

Hey MV! Any chance of a CD Release of Tom Holkenborg Justice League???

Nope

Hi MV! Are you planning to release Volume 5 The X-Files in the future?

Nope. We are done with X Files.

MV

Any ideas why NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA hasn't been released properly on a CD in 50 years?
If the complete masters are missing, even the LP master would be a huuuge improvement over the current situation... Any ideas, please, what exactly is the problem here?

Would love to some day

MV,

Any chance you could be releasing expanded scores for

Crocodile Dundee 1 and 2
Face Off
Love Actually
Generals Daughter
Conspiracy Theory

Thanks for any info

All wonderful suggestions but I can tell you this...the Dundee scores can't happen unfortunately.

MV

Are more Quinn Martin Collection sets coming? If "Yes", is there some kind of idea about when the next one might released?

One more planned for 2022

One question still haunts me MV:

What is the current status of Oliver Nelson's THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN original scores?

Did the master tapes eventually burned in the Universal 2009 terrible fire or not??

May someone clarify the issue?

The fire at Universal is grossly innaccurate and has been proven over and over again that master tapes for film scores were not lost. Please stop fueling the flames of this narrative

MV

MV, with one more announcement before Black Friday. Would it please be possible to confirm nearer the time how many titles will be released, whether these will be single CD's or multi discs and the prices. This will allow both myself and others to budget for the announcement. As always thank you.

Sorry but as I have explained before we will no longer be offering clues hints or info regarding our Black Friday releases due to the unnecessarily rude treatment we have received from people on this board and other boards. Thanks to these people all the fun has been sucked out of this once enjoyable release date. We will make the announcement on Nov 26 and start taking orders on Tuesday Nov 30.

MV

All from: https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&threadID=118900&archive=0

4 hours ago, Jay said:

All wonderful suggestions but I can tell you this...the Dundee scores can't happen unfortunately.

MV

Is there a specific reason for this or a backstory? Just curious.

On 08/10/2021 at 12:16 PM, Jay said:

The fire at Universal is grossly innaccurate and has been proven over and over again that master tapes for film scores were not lost. Please stop fueling the flames of this narrative

MV be like 

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

On 08/10/2021 at 4:53 PM, Brando said:

Is there a specific reason for this or a backstory?

Varese in perp maybe (at least the first one)? 

Re. Crocodile Dundee, I'm sure I saw the film many moons ago, and Spotify has this - credited to Silva Screen, although the original LP/CD are Varese. Opening Titles vaguely ring a bell, as do the odd other cue, but not something I'd buy.

With regards to the rest of that mini wishlist above, it reminds that there are a ton of mid-late 90s action scores yet to see the expanded light of day, which doesn't make the labels' job any easier. I was pleasantly surprised by Hard Rain earlier this year, which has (compared to more 90s action) very little missing music, but perhaps was just not very difficult to do and therefore made the cut sooner?

On 07/10/2021 at 9:48 PM, MattyO said:

I got a shipping notification from La La Land yesterday for my order of Stripes, Glory and Star Trek II. It says they use Global Post Standard International to Australia, which according to Google has not been interrupted by the USPS restrictions to Australia.

Just curious how your package is tracking? Has it departed the US yet?

Intrada have also switched to Global Post for Australian customers, so fingers crossed!

Four updates from MV today

Is it at all likely that we'll see new DC Animated releases in 2022?

We hope to finally get out the New Adventures of Batman and Robin. That's all we have planned

MV

Dear MV, are any of these Universal and/or UMG titles a possibility in the future - expanded or otherwise?

The Hindenburg (David Shire)
Airport 1975 (John Cacavas)
MacArthur (Jerry Goldsmith)
Masada - re-recorded album (Jerry Goldsmith)

Thsnk you

If not from us perhaps another label

MV

My biggest Holy Grail from LLL would be:

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN (Harry Gregson-Williams) I would certainly go bonkers to have a 3CD or a 4CD set of this amazing modern epic score.

Cost prohibitive at the time but who knows in the future.

MV

Dear MV
is there a chance for a CD Release from Star Trek: Lower Decks?

Not from us.

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118900&forumID=1&archive=0

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

My biggest Holy Grail from LLL would be:

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN (Harry Gregson-Williams) I would certainly go bonkers to have a 3CD or a 4CD set of this amazing modern epic score.

Cost prohibitive at the time but who knows in the future.

MV

I was wondering if a label could do KoH yesterday on another thread. I'm sad to see that the cost is prohibitive right now. Maybe in 2025 for the movie's 20th anniversary...

The OST contains maybe half the score, maybe a bit under. It baffles me when people describe a 60 minute album for a 2 hour plus score as 'generous' or 'long', in the age of expansions. Marvel scores that get 2-hour digital releases are 'long'/'generous'.

Personally the album is fine for me (never seen the film), but for those who love it, there's absolutely scope for a multi-disc set.

On 11/10/21 at 11:09 AM, crumbs said:

Just curious how your package is tracking? Has it departed the US yet?

Intrada have also switched to Global Post for Australian customers, so fingers crossed!

My tracking says it's in Australia and en route to me, but I find with any tracking as soon as it's in Australia it's a black hole and I've just got to wait patiently.

2 hours ago, MattyO said:

My tracking says it's in Australia and en route to me, but I find with any tracking as soon as it's in Australia it's a black hole and I've just got to wait patiently.

My Intrada order just landed in Melbourne too, happy days!

Pleasantly surprised how efficient Global Post have been, considering USPS are still refusing shipments to AU. Clearly the international flights are still operating between LAX and MEL, so maybe the USPS issue is flying into Sydney's overloaded mail center?

My previous USPS orders usually got stuck in Sydney for a few weeks before moving to Melbourne.