The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Guesses?  I have none.  Not a lot of clues, we know Batman & Robin animated isn't out till next year, Bond scores can't happen yet, Powell told us his next albums all come out in 2022, etc

The most likely guess is that there will a be Goldsmith at 20th title or two :p

Hopes?

• Arnold - The Young Americans, A Life Less Ordinary, Wing Commander, The Musketeer, Changing Lanes
  • Davis - Jurassic Park 3
  • Elfman - Beetlejuice, Batman, or Mars Attacks now 100% complete / premiere expansions of Midnight Run, Nightbreed, Dead Presidents, The Frighteners, Men In Black, or A Simple Plan
  • Faltermeyer - Tango and Cash (complete this time)
  • Giacchino - Extinct, Let Him Go, American Pickle, Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond (physical CD)
  • Goldsmith - Supergirl, Innerspace, The Burbs
  • Horner - Pursuit of DB Cooper, Volunteers, Field of Dreams, Sneakers, Jumanji, Mask of Zorro, Mighty Joe Young
  • Kraemer - Mission Impossible 5
  • Mancina - Speed 2 (complete this time), Assassins
  • Newman - Lemony Snicket
  • Shaiman - City Slickers 2
  • Silvestri - Contact
  • Williams - EVERYTHING

Do we think it's still early for Bond expansions, given NTTD only just came out?

Did they mention if 2022 was likely the earliest for those? I do recall a post about TND/Moonraker/TLD being in development before the acquisition halted plans.

Would be amazing if Tomorrow Never Dies was actually assembled last year, just awaiting the "go" from EON.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

All the info is here.  Basically they are completely dead since Amazon is in the process of buying MGM.

Dammit! So the main issue isn't even NTTD now; it's UME and MGM renegotiating terms on the Bond soundtracks (pre-pandemic), now further complicated by Amazon's acquisition of MGM.

Music For A Darkened Theater Volume 2 has 15 minutes of it actually, across 5 tracks (Main Titles / Daughter / Montage / Nam / Nightmare).  Would love to hear more!  I've never seen the movie so don't know what to expect!

Could LLL actually expanded Rogue Nation as it's a post-2005 score?

Otherwise I really hope for Goldsmith Innerspace, Elfman MIB, Horner Star Trek 3 and any of the remaining Williams scores

2 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Otherwise I really hope for Goldsmith Innerspace, Elfman MIB, Horner Star Trek 3 and any of the remaining Williams scores

I think so. It was recorded at Abbey Road, London, so I'm not sure that the same rule applies to those that are recorded in LA (something to do with the Federation that represents the session musicians, I think). Powell's Solo was also recorded in London, and was expanded last year -- so it's possible. But in all honesty, I don't think it's very likely that LLL would expand Rogue Nation - as much as I want them to!

Scores recorded in London have no additional fees to expand because London musicians generally perform scores on a buyout (paid more upfront and, in exchange, waive their rights to usage fees for the music).

Very different to US/LA musicians, who work under whatever deal the AFM negotiates for them (which has precluded LA-recorded score expansions for anything post-June 2005).

So Rogue Nation is a definite contender in the future for LLL (and I hope it happens!)

Rogue Nation 16th Anniversary Expanded Score confimed!

:P

Ever since LLL did Hard Rain, it's apparent that lovely and unexpected surprises can come from nowhere, and that far from everything they put out will be huge tentpole scores.

My personal wish list for this Christmas is Gladiator or JP3, with a smaller one being Glennie-Smith's Home Alone 3. However, we know Intrada has a Zimmer upcoming, and given they just did Sleepy Hollow, makes it hard to predict who is more likely to do a score from 2000.

5 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

It was recorded in London, so yes

I used to think Tibet had a lot of unreleased music but I think much of what's heard in the film is actually Non-Williams source music. I'm a bit confused how much Williams music is actually left to release from that score...

25th Anniversary next year though (Amistad too), just saying... 

Jumanji would be amazing! One of my favourite childhood movies and a very memorable score. 

I remember thinking James Horner would make the perfect composer for JP3 once Joe Johnston was announced as director... 

Some of my hopes 

Gladiator

The Dark Knight Trilogy

Harry Potter 4 to 8 

The Mask of Zorro

The Perfect Storm 

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation 

Transformers (all the Steve Jablonsky scores complete: I hate the movies, but love the scores idk if that makes sense but its how I feel)

Pirates of the Caribbean 

I hope Bond scores start up again next year since NTTD has passed. 

I want them. I want them all. And not just the Arnold's...but the Barry's...and one-offs too!

I know I'm probably the only one, but I'd love an expansion for Lemony Snicket by Thomas Newman. It won't happen, but it would be cool. Lol.

HP4 would be nice, as would JP3. I'd also add myself to the Jumanji wishers! 

I don't know, I'm pretty strapped for extra cash these days so it would have to be a holy grail of mine or something else up there on the list for me to be able to go for it this year.

Just now, TSMefford said:

I don't know, I'm pretty strapped for extra cash these days so it would have to be a holy grail of mine or something else up there on the list for me to be able to go for it this year.

Just sell one of your best aspect ratios.

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just sell one of your best aspect ratios.

I do have a new one I'm working on. It's actually an ever expanding ratio. 3.14159265359 : 1

Here's a still from my pitch meeting I have coming up with Zack (Snyder, we're on a first name basis now.)

We're working on a new release for Justice League called "Justice Is Pi"

PiRatioMeme.jpg

8 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I do have a new one I'm working on. It's actually an ever expanding ratio. 3.14159265359 : 1

Here's a still from my pitch meeting I have coming up with Zack (Snyder, we're on a first name basis now.)

PiRatioMeme.jpg

When is pen version for? After all a movie with the aspect ratio of a pen would be a terrific homage to the original comics

13 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Pitch meetings are tight!

15 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

PiRatioMeme.jpg

I love it!

My favourite aspect ratio is 2.718281828...

Just now, MrJosh said:

Pitch meetings are tight!

They're super easy.

43 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

I hope Bond scores start up again next year since NTTD has passed. 

I want them. I want them all. And not just the Arnold's...but the Barry's...and one-offs too!

To want expanded Bond scores is to be human.

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

I know I'm probably the only one, but I'd love an expansion for Lemony Snicket by Thomas Newman. It won't happen, but it would be cool. Lol.

Agreed!

Anybody have a theory why the specialty labels have tackled so little of Thomas Newman's output so far?

I think the only ones are The Man With One Red Shoe, Whispers In The Dark, Shawshank Redemption, and Amazing Stories right?

Is it because so many of his scores are Disney or post-2005?  Or because his OST albums are genuinely very comprehensive?  Or many of the film he's scored aren't high profile enough?  What is it?

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Isn’t the OST pretty comprehensive?

There's some very fun gems left off as well as source music. It wouldn't be revolutionary, but I'd love it. Also rumors of unused cues and alternates.

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anybody have a theory why the specialty labels have tackled so little of Thomas Newman's output so far?

I think the only ones are The Man With One Red Shoe, Whispers In The Dark, Shawshank Redemption, and Amazing Stories right?

Is it because so many of his scores are Disney or post-2005?  Or because his OST albums are genuinely very comprehensive?  Or many of the film he's scored aren't high profile enough?  What is it?

I've heard that he doesn't like expansions of his material.