The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Does anyone know when La La Land will restock Home Alone I was hoping to get it for some good christmas music 

Well, MV's January update said "Unknown": https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=142714&forumID=1&archive=0

Then, MV's July update said "September": https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=144368&forumID=1&archive=0

Then, MV posted in September that "Dances, Superman and Home Alone will be back probably in October": https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=145068&forumID=1&archive=0

So, keep your eye on tonight's email newsletter, maybe it's going to be available tomorrow when their Nov 16 titles (Call of Duty and Wonderful Life) go live

Here is Mike Matessino's explanation:

"For AFM recordings made before July 3, 2005, NO reuse needs to be paid to the musicians at all, provided a) that it’s for a physical format release with a 5000 unit maximum, and b) that the musicians list is published, preferably in the packaging. For recordings made after that date, whatever the musicians were paid to record the score for the film has to be paid to them again, 100%. That’s why it’s called “reuse”. They were paid to play music for sync purposes, but an album is a new use.

So, hypothetically, if 120 people were paid $360,000 to record the music for the film (musicians, orchestrators, copyists, at an average of $3K a person), then a label would have to pay that exact same amount to AFM in order to put out an expanded album. That makes it impossible to consider even before you get to licensing, publishing, production and manufacturing.

The 2005 date was established in 2015 and applied to recordings going back 10 years prior, but unfortunately it was not a “sliding” date as it really should have been.

Mike"

In case you don't know what the AFM is: https://www.afm.org/

Well I hope they make that a "sliding" date because some of my favorite Hans Zimmer, Michael Giacchino, and John Williams scores have come out after 2005 and I'd love to have complete releases for them. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Or because his OST albums are genuinely very comprehensive?

This is definitely part of it.

The one I'm always advocating to get the specialty label treatment, Fried Green Tomatoes, I don't think has much missing but (a) the score album is long out of print, even digitally (only the songtrack album is streaming) and (b) it's super under-appreciated and deserves more attention because it's actually a very important milestone in Thomas Newman's career.  As far as I know, it's his first orchestral (or at least primarily non-electronic) score for any film and the first that is recognizably his "signature" orchestral style.

The two pre-'94 scores that are most in this signature orchestral style (as opposed to the more experimental electronic/exotic style) are Fried Green Tomatoes and Scent of a Woman, but the latter at least has the score album released digitally/streaming.

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Little Women is the expansion we really need. Plenty more good music in the film, and un-edited versions of cues…

Yavar

You mean Newman used to actually  curate his albums, not just dump the recording sessions😉?

13 hours ago, Jay said:

If the date had been established as sliding we might have expansions of Geisha, War Horse and Tintin by now and be looking forward to Lincoln next year!

It's really a lose-lose situation, we're not gonna get expansions, they're not gonna get any money.

18 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

It's really a lose-lose situation, we're not gonna get expansions, they're not gonna get any money.

Exactly. It's mindbogglingly stupid on the part of the AFM, everyone loses.

At the very least they could reduce the fees after 10 years for specific circumstances, like expanded albums limited to 5000 units.

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm guessing such things are just footnotes to them, not worth bothering about.

Probably. But if they just changed it from 100% to 20%, at least they would create a new income stream for their members (which is the entire point of their existence, no?)

Track list for Wonderful Life and the other one, via email

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2gwkri--x1pro-ag4kqz4

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE: 75th ANNIVERSARY REMASTERED LIMITED EDITION
LLLCD 1575
Music by Dimitri Tiomkin
Limited Edition of 2000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $21.98

STARTS SHIPPING NOV 16

IAWL-cover-Web.jpgOrder yours starting Nov 16 at 12 noon (pst) at www.lalalandrecords.com

La-La Land Records and Paramount Pictures proudly present a limited edition, remastered 75th anniversary CD release of renowned composer Dimitri Tiomkin’s (MEET JOHN DOE, GIANT, WILD IS THE WIND) original motion picture score to the 1946 Holiday classic IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE, starring James Stewart, Donna Reed and Lionel Barrymore, and directed by Frank Capra. Arguably the most famous and most seen American holiday film of all time features an equally classic score from Dimitri Tiomkin, one of cinema’s pioneering composer giants. An expert meld of romance, emotion, reflection, brooding darkness and playful joviality, the maestro’s legendary score returns on CD, remastered, and in time to mark the film’s 75th Anniversary.

Produced by Dan Goldwasser, restored and mastered by Chris Malone, and featuring art design by Goldwasser and new, in-depth liner notes by writer Frank K. DeWald, this special limited edition release of 2000 units features track sequencing that more accurately reflects Tiomkin’s original intensions. The presentation also includes the film version of the “Main Title” and music from the film’s trailer.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Main Title / Heaven 3:46
2. Ski Run 1:31
3. Death Telegram 1:59
4. Gower's Deliverance 2:03
5. George And Dad 1:45
6. Father's Death 0:30
7. Love Sequence 2:12
8. Dilemma 0:37
9. Bank Crisis 0:55
10. Wedding Cigars 0:41
11. George Lassoes Stork 2:03
12. This Is The Army, Mr. Jones / Dankgebet 2:20
13. Uncle Billy's Blunder 1:15
14. Search For Money 2:01
15. Potter's Threat 0:50
16. Clarence's Arrival 2:20
17. George Is Unborn 2:24
18. Haunted House (With Chorus) 2:40
19. Pottersville Cemetery 1:14
20. Wrong Mary Hatch / The Prayer 2:05
21. It's A Wonderful Life 3:24
22. Auld Lang Syne / End Title 0:53

BONUS TRACKS
23. It's A Wonderful Life (Vocal) 3:52
24. Main Title (Film Version) 1:16
25. Father's Death (Alternate) 0:21
26. Wedding March 0:51
27. Big Band 0:20
28. Haunted House (Alternate) 2:40
29. Pottersville Cemetery (Alternate – Without Chorus) 1:19
30. Auld Lang Syne (Alternate) 0:30
31. Trailer Music 1:03
TOTAL DISC TIME 51:43

AUTOGRAPH CD EXCLUSIVE
CALL OF DUTY: VANGUARD 
SNS4040
Music by Bear McCreary
RETAIL PRICE: $15.98

STARTS SHIPPING NOV 16

Call-Of-Duty-Vanguard-Cover-3000-web.jpgOrder yours starting Nov 16 at 12 noon (pst) at www.lalalandrecords.com

LA-LA LAND in collaboration with SPARKS AND SHADOWS is proud to exclusively offer 500 autographed CD copies of acclaimed composer Bear McCreary’s astounding original score to the videogame CALL OF DUTY: VANGUARD. 

GET YOUR AUTOGRAPHED COPY NOW, exclusively from La-La Land Records!

From the composer: “For the score to CALL OF DUTY: VANGUARD, creative campaign director David Swenson and I both felt we wanted to tell the story of unique individuals – ordinary people who rose to meet the challenges of extraordinary circumstances. While we knew there would be a home for epic, cinematic orchestral writing, we were both intrigued by the idea of leaning on more intimate sounds. We wanted players to sense the fingers on fretboards, bows rasping against strings, and other artifacts that only get picked up by close microphones on individual soloists. From there, the score to VANGUARD emanated…”

TRACK LISTING:

1. Vanguard
2. Operation Tonga
3. Into The Lion’s Den
4. The Whole World Is Burning
5. The Gun Battery
6. Before The Storm
7. Polina’s Vengeance
8. A Hunt In Stalingrad
9. Freisinger And Richter
10. Bombing Run
11. Wade Into The Weeds
12. Welcome To Bougainville
13. Pacific Heat
14. The Rats Of Tobruk
15. Shrapnel
16. The Sixth Operator
17. Showdown
18. Riggs And The Hunters
19. Light Of El-Alamein
20. Project Phoenix
21. Valor And Ash
22. Arthur’s Elegy
23. Bloodlust

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Exactly. It's mindbogglingly stupid on the part of the AFM, everyone loses.

At the very least they could reduce the fees after 10 years for specific circumstances, like expanded albums limited to 5000 units.

It's a bit like everyone in the AFM put on their rosy-tinted glasses, looked at the deal they had, guaranteeing themselves full repayment for any post-2005 reuse, and no one put their 'logical' glasses on and wondered on how many occasions anyone would need to use their music enough to pay that fee.

unfortunately it was not a “sliding” date as it really should have been

Understatement of the century there.

Our release of A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: 20th ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION by John Williams is finally BACK IN STOCK and available NOW!

The previous master issue regarding this anniversary re-issue has been fixed. You will have no need for any replacement discs.

OUR END OF YEAR TITLES WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON OUR FACEBOOK AND TWITTER starting at 12:01 am (pst) on 11/26

They will then go on sale at www.lalalandrecords.com at 12 noon (pst) on 11/30!

Grab these titles before they are SOLD OUT and no longer available. When they are gone, they’re GONE…!

MILLENNIUM VOL 1, TIME TUNNEL TV VOL 1, GALAXY QUEST, X2, DAY OF THE DEAD, X-FILES FIGHT THE FUTURE, SHAFT, HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, ROMANCING THE STONE, KRULL, TAKE A HARD RIDE, THE PAGEMASTER, BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, GOD OF WAR, LOVE HAPPENS, SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, AIRPLANE II, THE ACCUSED and ALTERED STATES.

SHIPPING NOTICE: Please be patient with shipping. We are working steadily, safely and within local ordinances to get orders out in a timely fashion. Expect up to 10 business days from the date you place your order for it to ship from our warehouse and, then, we respectfully ask customers wait up to 4 weeks to inquire about packages/deliveries not yet received. All such inquiries should be made to info@lalaland-ent.com – Thank you.

https://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2gwkri--x1pro-ag4f6q4

By "available NOW!", that means available at 3PM EST today when the new titles go on sale

15 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

You mean Newman used to actually  curate his albums, not just dump the recording sessions😉?

Don’t think Thomas Newman ever changed his approach.

Since your preference is clear and has already been met with the existing album, don’t begrudge me my hoped-for release of the complete score as composed and recorded. :) 

Yavar

Any chance “Home Alone” will be back in stock for the holidays this year?

Trying to.

For sure coming back in

SUPERMAN 40TH
PLANET OF THE APES BOX SET
STAR TREK 2

Possibly coming in

DANCES WITH WOLVES
HOME ALONE

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=142714&forumID=1&archive=0

On 16/11/2021 at 7:30 AM, bruce marshall said:

Newman's never been one or the other. While he does tend to be a session dump composer more than others, I've found that the more serious the film is, the more he tends to arrange the album.

Although you do realise that even if he made an album with 15 tracks instead of 40, they'd play exactly the same, it's not like you can tell where your player is switching tracks.

There isn't a single Newman score I can think of that I'd buy expanded (except Shawshank which we have), but then I'm not into his earlier (90s) work much. My favourite Newman score, The Horse Whisperer plays absolutely beautifully as an album, and I have no idea whatsoever what might be missing.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Sheesh!

This country is going straight to hell.

Maybe I'd like it now. It was a long time ago. It just isn't high on my priority list to revisit. I always found the "beautiful" plastic bag to be terribly pretentious, which it's probably meant to be but induced a lot of groaning and eye-rolling from me at the time despite my intense love for Thora Birch.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Universal Music and Sony Music are like the gatekeepers of all the biggest score expansions right now! 

Indeed. Here's hoping they'll be something I'm after! If not, oh well. Someday!

43 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

I was hoping for ST Search for Spock for BF, maybe next year!

Since that's a UMG title, I cant imagine they'd consider it until their extensive UMG backlog is smaller. Maybe they'll do it for the film's 40th in 2024

Info from today's flyer...

Our release of A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: 20th ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION by John Williams is finally BACK IN STOCK and available NOW!

The previous master issue regarding this anniversary re-issue has been fixed. You will have no need for any replacement discs.

ALSO BACK IN STOCK: SUPERMAN THE MOVIE: 40th ANNIV LIMITED EDITION (3-CD SET), PLANET OF THE APES ORIGINAL FILM SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (5-CD BOX SET), THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL: LIMITED EDITION, TREMORS: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)

LA-LA LAND in collaboration with SPARKS AND SHADOWS is proud to exclusively offer 500 autographed CD copies of acclaimed composer Bear McCreary’s astounding original score to the videogame CALL OF DUTY: VANGUARD.

GET YOUR AUTOGRAPHED COPY NOW, exclusively from www.lalalandrecords.com !

Grab these titles before they are SOLD OUT and no longer available. When they are gone, they’re GONE…!

MILLENNIUM VOL 1, TIME TUNNEL TV VOL 1, GALAXY QUEST, X2, DAY OF THE DEAD, X-FILES FIGHT THE FUTURE, SHAFT, HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, ROMANCING THE STONE, KRULL, TAKE A HARD RIDE, THE PAGEMASTER, BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, GOD OF WAR, LOVE HAPPENS, SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, AIRPLANE II, THE ACCUSED and ALTERED STATES.

OUR SHIPPING IS CLOSED DEC 19 – JAN 2: Our shipping department will be closed DEC 19 thru JAN 2. Online orders placed during this time will start shipping out when shipping resumes on Jan 3, 2022.

Please be patient with shipping. We are working steadily, safely and within local ordinances to get orders out in a timely fashion. Expect up to 10 business days from the date you place your order for it to ship from our warehouse and, then, we respectfully ask customers wait up to 4 weeks to inquire about packages/deliveries not yet received. All such inquiries should be made to info@lalaland-ent.com – Thank you.