The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Braveheart!!!!! :w00t:

I will finally be able to correct one of the biggest gap in my Horner collection. Thanks to everyone at LLL for making this possible

After the Goldsmith year, this one surely looks like a Horner's year: already 4 score expansions

The Braveheart expansion first came out in November 2015 and had sold all 3,000 copies by late 2019.  I'd guess this reissue might just sell another 3,000!

I was just thinking that it must've sold well to justify another run, given MV's comments about all their releases that didn't shift.

I assume it's an identical reissue - I've got the original and don't want to buy it again.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Top Secret, heck yeah.  Definitely buying that.

What's great about this one other than that it's now a 2CD set? I have the previous Varese issue.

12 minutes ago, Amer said:

What's great about this one other than that it's now a 2CD set?

How could any of us know that yet?

25 minutes ago, Amer said:

What's great about this one other than that it's now a 2CD set? I have the previous Varese issue.

My assumption is that this will be the complete score and the songs.  I hope I'm right!

I've yet to really get too much into Braveheart myself.

I actually just looked over and saw the 2015 pressing is on my shelf of physical CDs I haven't listened to yet, in this case even opened yet.

I guess I should wait and see if there are any differences with the new edition before I do open it.

I love Braveheart, it used to be one of my favorite Horner scores. I listened to it a lot, so I don't think it has the same impact on me. But I still like it regardless.

Braveheart is a release I bought for a handful of moments not included on the OST, and not because I needed the full score. I find much of it heavy Horner melodrama, but there's about an hour of solid, memorable material.

For a recent unexpected use of Making Plans/Gathering the Clans, see the Always Sunny in Philadelphia season 15 finale.

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I was just thinking that it must've sold well to justify another run, given MV's comments about all their releases that didn't shift.

I assume it's an identical reissue - I've got the original and don't want to buy it again.

You.

Must.

Buy.

It is a fresh remaster.

😎

10 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Two discs of TOP SECRET?😗

MV just mentioned on the FSM thread:

This is one of my personal favorite releases we have done in a long time

It features:

Film score
Songs
Re-recorded lp presentation
Bonus tracks

The TER and Varese release that came out many years back ONLY had the re-recorded score Jarre did when the film came out. The actual film score has never been released.

MV

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I've yet to really get too much into Braveheart myself.

I actually just looked over and saw the 2015 pressing is on my shelf of physical CDs I haven't listened to yet, in this case even opened yet.

I guess I should wait and see if there are any differences with the new edition before I do open it.

Watch the movie again. It will work in better context. I prefer this over TITANIC. 

Just now, Jay said:

I never really liked the movie either

Shut the movie off after 40 minutes, the LLL samples just fly over me and just feel like they're... there. We are not alone!

• 2 weeks later...

LAST CALL on various LLL titles

The following titles are close to selling out and will no longer be available

ALTERED STATES - 12 UNITS

https://lalalandrecords.com/altered-states-limited-edition/

JUSTICE LEAGUE THE ANIMATED SERIES - 38 UNITS

https://lalalandrecords.com/justice-league-limited-edition-4-cd-set/

X FILES FIGHT THE FUTURE - 7 UNITS

https://lalalandrecords.com/x-files-the-fight-the-future-limited-edition/

SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISHER - 22 UNITS

https://lalalandrecords.com/searching-for-bobby-fischer-limited-edition/

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=147177&forumID=1&archive=0

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Jay said:

The LLL edition of Jerry Goldsmiht's LINK is going OOP

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=147254&forumID=1&archive=0

I’ve been collecting Goldsmith scores for decades, and I haven’t heard of this score. The man was a workaholic. 

10 hours ago, JTW said:

I’ve been collecting Goldsmith scores for decades, and I haven’t heard of this score. The man was a workaholic. 

It's from 1986. It underscores a very silly -  bordering on inexplicable - film, about an orangutan, starring Terrence Stamp, and Elizabeth Shue.

The score doesn't get much love, here at JWfan, but I am one of the exceptions who think it is, in fact, a really good score. Most people think I'm mad for thinking this, but I don't care.

It's a curious mix of standard film fare, and modern touches, in the shape of electronic drums, and synthesised ape noises.

As mid-80s Jerry goes, I'd rather have this, RUNAWAY, and EXTREME PREJUDICE, than LEGEND, SUPERGIRL, and POLTERGEIST II.

Told you I was mad :)

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's a very cheesy score.

Agreed. It's got more cheese than the Cheddar Gorge.

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's from 1986. It underscores a very silly -  bordering on inexplicable - film, about an orangutan, starring Terrence Stamp, and Elizabeth Shue.

The score doesn't get much love, here at JWfan, but I am one of the exceptions who think it is, in fact. a really good score. Most people think I'm mad for thinking this, but I don't care.

It's a curious mix of standard film fare, and modern touches, in the shape of electronic drums, and synthesised ape noises.

As mid-80s Jerry goes, I'd rather have this, RUNAWAY, and EXTREME PREJUDICE, than LEGEND, SUPERGIRL, and POLTERGEIST II.

Thanks for the recommendation, sounds like an interesting score, I’ll check it out. 
I want them all. :)

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's a very cheesy score.

I like cheese. I’ll take an old cheesy score by Jerry Goldsmith over 95% of “ingenious” new scores any day of the week. 

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, believe me, you don't want RENT-A-COP.

Don’t tell me it’s a Jerry Goldsmith score! :D

It is! Did this man even write music in his sleep? 

22 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hey, Link, Legend, Extreme Prejudice and Poltergeist II are all extremely awesome!:angry:

10 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, believe me, you don't want RENT-A-COP.

Or Not without My Daughter.

18 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Hey, Link, Legend, Extreme Prejudice and Poltergeist II are all extremely awesome!:angry:

Or Not without My Daughter.

They are excellent. My favourite being LEGEND, it’s a true masterpiece. 
I don’t remember NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER, neither the film nor the score tbh, but it can’t be worse than a film called Rent-A-Cop. :)

39 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The score doesn't get much love, here at JWfan, but I am one of the exceptions who think it is, in fact. a really good score. Most people think I'm mad for thinking this, but I don't care.

Link is the proto Gremlins 2. Nowhere as good as that (but what is), but it still means it can't be so bad. And it's certainly fun.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Link is the proto Gremlins 2. Nowhere as good as that (but what is), but it still means it can't be so bad. And it's certainly fun.

Now I definitely have to check it out.

7 hours ago, JTW said:

I don’t remember NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER, neither the film nor the score tbh, but it can’t be worse than a film called Rent-A-Cop. :)

It is, actually. The phase after 'Legend' (which must have struck him hard) until 'Basic Instinct' or even 'First Knight' was the weakest in his career with some borderline offensive offerings, but he was always the film music Tesla, with failure being at least a 50% option when he tried new stuff like the Fairlight.

'Link' is much better than many others of that time, but it's also unafraid being goofy, something especially hardcore Williams fans are understandably are wary about.

The only mistake is to introduce it so upfront in the main title, long before Link's appearance. The tone is irritating and hard to place before we get to know that Link is an old circus ape.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The score doesn't get much love, here at JWfan, but I am one of the exceptions who think it is, in fact, a really good score. Most people think I'm mad for thinking this, but I don't care.

Listening to LINK. I love it. 

50 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

FIRST KNIGHT is top FIVE Goldsmith!

If we are talking 90s Goldsmith that stands among his greatest work, I personally prefer THE SHADOW (in complete form).

For me, LIONHEART > FIRST KNIGHT (apart from the performance), even though I really love FIRST KNIGHT.

Yavar

I feel like the writing in Lionheart is a bit more complex and less streamlined (which is why the Hungarian orchestra has trouble playing it at times) compared to First Knight. Also, I really don't like Arthur's Fanfare much from the latter (every other thematic element I love).

Yavar