The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

i expect a reissue c&c main program this time. And as mentioned maybe better master for the album and film alternates from the same sessions

The original release is almost perfect in my eyes.

Literally the only thing they could improve is the audio quality of The E.T. Adventure but they'd need better elements to miraculously turn up.

Also the slim possibility of album sessions turning up and having unreleased suites JW didn't use for the OST.

Any extra music would require a third disc anyway.

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Have you made an official account at their website?

I think I signed up for the newsletter before I did then after the JP announcement, which I found out thru Facebook I think, I resigned up for the newsletter after making an account

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Literally the only thing they could improve is the audio quality of The E.T. Adventure but they'd need better elements to miraculously turn up.

And go back in time and have anyone other than Dan Wallin (speculation) record it.

I'd guess it's not a mixing issue, more that Mike probably only found a second or third generation copy of the music.

Which, given the lengths he went to tracking it down, is a miracle in itself!

2 hours ago, Amer said:

I get their emails in Duplicate mode. You guys should check your spam filters.

I’ve got nothing in my spam folder. I’ll redo it again

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'd guess it's not a mixing issue, more that Mike probably only found a second or third generation copy of the music.

I doubt it could really sound that much better.

If it can be fixed, that would bode well for Last Crusade if good elements could be miraculously found!

46 minutes ago, crumbs said:

If they keep the black & white design for TLW, would be cool if they inverted it (and added the rock texture from the TLW logo)

Like this:

jurassic inverted.png

Someone posted this picture of a copy of the novel in a Jurassic Park Facebook group. I’ve never seen this cover used for the book before, something similar was used for the VHS. I will say this is a better design than the Rex coming down from the top cover.

FDBBFC04-5D87-449F-8CC4-0DE07788FCDC.png

Here's a larger version

And the text that accompanies the banner on Facebook:

"

For those of you who missed out on the previous releases....

PLEASE NOTE: ET and CEOT3K are exactly like our previous versions with the exception of the catalog number and anniversary date on the cover. If you have the previous expanded editions we released no need to pick these up (unless you are a catalog completist 😁🤐)

"

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/pfbid02PNKyv1VFyTHt6TqhZWKBk4zKeMjntUnA7igVZz3tcCLJ4GcyM9pzHVdFhya25UEl

And the text on Twitter

"

Coming on 8/9 from La-La Land!  Celebrate #JohnWilliams' 90th Birthday with Limited Edition 2-CD Anniversary Editions of #ET and #CloseEncountersOfTheThirdKind  - Plus -- JamesHorner 's #StarTrek #WrathOfKhan and #Titanic back in stock NOW at http://lalalandrecords.com

"

https://twitter.com/LaLaLandRecords/status/1554136770358362112

i knew it was gonna be E.T. !! 

jay didn't douse any discussion on it and also didn't like any E.T. posts.

this is good for future reference!!

also super glad people who missed out on these can have a chance to scoop them up!

2 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

I already have the previous releases (they are amazing). I might have to dig them out for another listed, since they are now on my mind ... 

If there is anyone without them, I HIGHLY recommend leaping on them. They are MUST HAVES and DEFINITIVE.

I mostly agree with this.  Not a fan of "MUST HAVE" -- some people might not care for either one, but to say that both are essential would be okay in my book.

For WIlliams: how long of a list would the "essentials" be?  And what would be left off?  Empire over Star Wars?  

7 minutes ago, bruckhorn said:

For WIlliams: how long of a list would the "essentials" be?  And what would be left off?  Empire over Star Wars?  

Jaws

Fiddler on the Roof

Schindler's List

Raiders

A New Hope

Empire Strikes Back

E.T.

Jurassic Park

Close Encounters

Superman

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Why do Intrada need to remove all the bonus tracks from Jaws (1975) to re-release that score, yet LLL can release another 5000 sets of E.T. (1982) and Close Encounters (1977) with identical tracklists?

I don’t think they’ve commented on this, but I’d suspect (because the release was pulled mid-run) this has nothing to do with AFM rules.  Perhaps an issue with rights/clearances on some of the source tracks not written by Williams.

Because we hit the AFM max and in order to keep it in print we needed to reconfigure the program. Seemed like the easiest alteration.

That's really really dumb.

And btw they meant removing all the bonus tracks, including alternates and JW source pieces.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=81759&sid=042dbbabc6b2d23548d427a12c6b4d8a#p81759

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

And btw they meant removing all the bonus tracks, including alternates and JW source pieces.

Completely bizarre in light of what LLL have done with E.T. and CE3K.

The only explanation I can muster is that 10,000 is the AFM limit and Jaws sold 10,000 units. I don't believe they ever specified a quantity of that release.

20 minutes ago, Holko said:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=81759&sid=042dbbabc6b2d23548d427a12c6b4d8a#p81759

Why not just put the typewriter chord in the main program? There's your alteration!

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The only explanation I can muster is that 10,000 is the AFM limit and Jaws sold 10,000 units. I don't believe they ever specified a quantity of that release.

Even then, needing to reconfigure the program doesn't have to mean they go to the lowest possible effort consumerfucking solution of removing valuable material!

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Why not just put the typewriter chord in the main program? There's your alteration!

Or remove it and Wild Shark Theme if you're so hyped on removing something. Or the non-JW source cues, sure. Or move From Bad To Worse to the bonus section where it belongs (early version of Quint Thinks It Over)

I'd be down for a new edition of Jaws that integrates Typewriter Chord into the main program and moves From Bad To Worse into the bonus track section

And of course including all the source music recorded would be great, and fixing the description and/or title of "Marching Band No. 2" (it's actually the non-JW composition "Semper Paratus" as arranged by Robert Cray)

Finally! I missed both of them the first time and waited for them to be reissued. 

Since LLL has recently reissued three major JW scores, they must have the financial means to release a big title for BF. I can feel it! 

Cue @Holko's video... 

39 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Quick, someone buy both reissues to check if LLL accidentally used the wrong master!

Even if such a thing were to happen, is there any music of value for these two scores (such as vetoed source music) that wasn't already on the previous LLL releases?

For CE3K all I can think of is some clean openings/endings.  I literally can't think of anything recorded for that film that isn't on the set.  I guess maybe if Williams was involved in the chanting of the 5 note theme in the India scene?  Oh, and the "Inside" cue from 1980 had wrong take(s) released on the Pops in Space album, while the LLL set only has the same performance edit as used in the film.

For ET, I likewise can't think of anything recorded that isn't on the set, unless the "Adventure on Earth" concert version was recorded at the album sessions (but that burned up in the Universal fire if it was).  And again there are some wrong takes released on the 1996 and 2002 editions.

On a Legacy of JW podcast, Mike has spoken of some of the studio banter between Spielberg and Williams on  CE3K as being pretty damn magical, but unreleasable.  I can’t recall the cue in context.   It may have been some choir experiments or something.  Perhaps the India chanting Jay referred to?

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

On a Legacy of JW podcast, Mike has spoken of some of the studio banter between Spielberg and Williams on  CE3K as being pretty damn magical, but unreleasable. 

For legal reasons or for space on the discs?

On the podcast you're referring to Mike discussed listening to the raw takes of every cue recorded for CE3K on Superbowl Sunday 2017, and how interesting it was to hear all the various things they were trying out with the choir.  They would end up using some of that for the Barry's Kidnapping overlays I believe.

To be honest, only obsessive completists like me will notice the (inconsequential) tidbits missing from an otherwise excellent and comprehensive set, but from memory and from Jay's spreadsheet, what was left off was:

-an alternate take of "Watching The Skies"

-the full ending of the 6m4a "note demo", heard only in the SE version when the audience stands up and claps after Lacombe's presentation

-the orchestral overlay for 14m4

5 hours ago, Jay said:

On the podcast you're referring to Mike discussed listening to the raw takes of every cue recorded for CE3K on Superbowl Sunday 2017, and how interesting it was to hear all the various things they were trying out with the choir.  They would end up using some of that for the Barry's Kidnapping overlays I believe.

That 20-minute choir experiment that Mike referenced would have been beautiful to hear, similar to the 17-minute "main title archive" included on the RCA 2-CD set of Star Wars