The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

I didn't buy anything.  I realized after poking around for a while, there was very unlikely to be anything I would get.  I have so many film scores, and I've been keeping up with specialty label output for over a decade.  The only thing I might not have is some old specialty label title that sold out quick and hasn't been reissued yet, but anything in that category would be expensive.  Or something that has a reissue making the old edition irrelevant, but I might want anyway for crazy OTT completeness; For example, they were selling a used copy of the FSM Towering Inferno, which I don't own.  But I own the disaster box, so the only reason to get it would just be completionism.  But they were charging $75 for it, so any thoughts of being a 100% collector vanished pretty quick

I picked up some interesting titles back in 2010. Prices weren’t as crazy as now.

The Herrmann NBNW re-recording is a worthy investment. I would have picked it up for trade.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

... having said that, the iso for TLJ somehow happened.

Same for Superman, but in that case it was years later. But speaking of isolated scores, do they have the get JW’s permission to make that a bonus feature? 

• 2 weeks later...

That Mission Impossible set is one of my favorite film score releases!  I hope everyone who wants it will be able to get a copy

Can't wait to see what their final 3 batches of the year bring.  Here's hoping for Walker and Co's Batman & Robin!

There's not really much left i still need, but imho it's time for one of the biggies by either JNH or JH that still aren't out expanded, say 'Postman', 'Mighty Joe Young' or 'Hidalgo'.

JNH's Major League, Ira Newborn's My Blue Heaven, or Kamen's Frequency for me!

I have isolated score copies for the latter two, but I would love it if they ever did official releases.

I agree it appears to be very luminiscent. The review of the disc in 4k is someting else. Goldsmith's score is something else on this surround mix I hear.

18 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Dreaming for Hook, Jurassic Park II and III, a little Tomorow Never Dies would be more than welcome and since they put a X-Wing on the Williams banner I'll say it no matter how unlikely it is: BRING STAR WARS baby!

I'm going to guess (slightly optimistically) a variation on that: a new JW title, TLW reissue, JP3 and two or three other smaller titles, based on there being 5 or 6 total.

I'm going to mention ye olde expectation management for Hook. I could swear that someone quoted MM as saying that it was news to him if a new version was in the works... I feel JWFanners have manufactured their own hype for it based purely on the fact that since LLL's set had issues then 'of course' another one must be on the way.

Absolutely do not get me wrong - I hope it does happen for those who want it (I can live with the LLL set's problems, but they're still problems) - I just don't see the immediate evidence :)

Has Mike ever reassembled & remastered a JW OST and not done an expansion?

Excluding any score where masters were lost and the OST was the only surviving element, of course... which clearly isn't the case for Hook.

It's a curious situation.

22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Has Mike ever reassembled & remastered a JW OST and not done an expansion?

Images is the only one that comes to mind, though in that case elements to expand it have never been located, unfortunately

EDIT: Nevermind, that wasn't a rebuild of course, since all that exists is the album master.  Nevermind!

The specialty labels have released ten JW OST albums without an expansion surrounding them:

1. Diamond Head (1963 / FSM 2006)
  2. Heidi (1968 / Quartet 2013)
  3. Jane Eyre (1970 / LLL 2012)
  4. Images (1972 / Quartet 2021)
  5. Cinderella Liberty (1973 / Intrada 2008)
  6. Monsignor (1982 / Intrada 2007) // later expanded, and OST rebuilt from original elements, by Mike for Intrada in 2019
  7. SpaceCamp (1986 / Intrada 2010 & 2014) // later expanded, and OST rebuilt from original elements, by Mike for Intrada in 2022
  8. The Witches of Eastwick (1987 / Perseverance 2012)
  9. The Accidental Tourist (1988 / FSM 2008)
  10. Hook (1991 / Mondo 2021)

I don't see Mike's name in the booklet of any of them except Images and Hook, and Hook is the only one of these that was rebuilt from original scoring elements.

Quartet's Heidi says "Album Produced by Jose M. Benitez and John Takis" and "Digital Mastering: Jose Vinader"

LLL's Jane Eyre says "CD Reissue produced by Lukas Kendall" and "Album mastered by Doug Schwartz at Mulholland Music"

Intrada's first Monsignor CD says "CD Produced by Douglass Fake"

Intrada's first SpaceCamp CD says "CD Reissue Produced by Douglass Fake"

Perseverance's Witches of Eastwick says "Reissue Supervised by Robin Esterhammer"

FSM's The Accidental Tourist says "Reissued [sic] Produced by Lukas Kendall" & "Digital Mastering by Doug Schwartz, Mulholland Music, Chatsworth, California

• 2 weeks later...