The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

On 13/01/2023 at 2:52 AM, Bryant Burnette said:

I'd be embarrassed to tell anyone the amount of Star Trek I ordered from La-La Land recently.

It must have embarrassed La-La Land as well, given the amount of time it's taking for them to ship it...

• 2 weeks later...

La-La Land is struggling recently.  That big batch of Trek I ordered, they crammed them all into a box that was too small, and the result of that was three cases with busted teeth on multiple trays.  The bunch of Friday the 13ths I got today, they sent me Part 1 instead of Part 2.  Sheesh.

15 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

When did you try? I think they might be taking a vacation. Maybe give email one more shot, and then try the FSM board because they seem to answer inquiries there.

Yavar

Been trying for about a week.  That's a good idea to try the FSM board.  I'll track 'em down eventually!

72 HR FLASH "FLASH" SALE!!!
"THE FLASH" has returned on the CW for its final season and we're celebrating with an amazing sale price on all of our THE FLASH and ARROWVERSE-related CD soundtrack titles! GET THEM NOW FOR ONLY $5 EACH!!! Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

ONLY $5 EACH: THE FLASH SEASON 1, 2, 3 and 4. ARROW SEASON 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. LEGENDS OF TOMORROW SEASON 1, 2 and 3. SUPERGIRL SEASON 1, 2 and 3 and CRISIS ON EARTH X. Act now - once these titles are out of stock, they are gone! THIS OFFER ENDS 8pm pst on 2/12!

Flash_TV_Show_Web.jpg flashS2-Web.jpg flashS3-Web.jpg flashS4-Web.jpg

arrow-s3-Web.jpg arrows-Web.jpg arrowS4-Web.jpg arrowS5-Web.jpg

arrowS6-Web.jpg supergirlS1-Web.jpg supergirlS2-Web.jpg supergirlS3-Web.jpg

legendsoftomorrowS1-Web.jpg legendsoftomorrowS2-Web.jpg legendsoftomorrowS3-Web.jpg CrisisOnEarth-Web.jpg

Also - this is the last weekend for our Danny Elfman DARKMAN and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, so pick up these incredible 2-CD sets now for ONLY $20 EACH! Special runs thru 2/12.

ONLY AT www.lalalandrecords.com

darkman-cover-Web.jpg missionimpossible-Web.jpg

© 2023 La-La Land Records. All Rights Reserved.

Sadly I just don’t find myself enjoying Neely’s Arrowverse scores. I like his other work and I like the other Arrowverse scores (like the unreleased Black Lightning), just not the combination. 

The following titles are GOING OUT OF PRINT

LESS THAN 75 UNITS

FAR AND AWAY
FIRST KNIGHT
THE WARRIORS
LOOPER

LESS THAN 100 UNITS

GALAXY QUEST
STAR TREK VOYAGER VOLUME 1

LESS THAN 10 UNITS

MILLENNIUM VOL 1
UNKNOWN KNOWN
RED 2

You can find them all listed on our website:

www.lalalandrecords.com

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=150523&forumID=1&archive=0

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

First Knight is a wonderful score, and the expanded album is really good. If you like Goldsmith and wants to discover more scores from him for your collection, this is a great choice.

Agreed and…

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Yep!  First Knight is an example of an expansion that offers so much more than just “more minutes of the same kind of stuff”.  Don’t miss it. 

…agreed. The original album of 30 minutes just isn’t enough for this kind of score. It needs the extra music for the score to breathe plus the OST commits the “Qui-Gon Jinn sin” (which is clearly how it should forever be called) of not featuring one of the major character themes at all which the expanded edition rectifies. It also fixes the weird issue of the last couple of tracks on the OST where the cue names are weirdly swapped. I’m sure it’s sacrilege to admit but in the pantheon of Jerry historical epics i probably enjoy this more than Lionheart and it’s not much below TWATL. It sounds like he’s having so much fun and he does the whole character theme/leitmotif thing really brilliantly too, which wasn’t often his style. 

Just now, Clockwork Angel said:

Qui-Gon Sin

I was toying with shortening it to that… I think it works better. It’s good to workshop the names for these soundtrack sins. I’ll take it to the focus group and report back. 

Struggling with an order issue - I ordered Chaplin and Clear and Present Danger when Chaplin was released, received the order a week ago and it had a copy of The Godfather rather than the Horner. I emailed LLL immediately but still no response a week later.

41 minutes ago, MattyO said:

Struggling with an order issue - I ordered Chaplin and Clear and Present Danger when Chaplin was released, received the order a week ago and it had a copy of The Godfather rather than the Horner. I emailed LLL immediately but still no response a week later.

This happened to me, albeit with different titles.  Took them forever to answer, and even after they did there's no sign of my order being fixed.  I'm going to give them another week and then file a claim with PayPal.  They owe me some replacement cases for some busted ones I received, too, and that's been an even longer wait.  I don't believe I'll be ordering direct from them again anytime soon.

10 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

This happened to me, albeit with different titles.  Took them forever to answer, and even after they did there's no sign of my order being fixed.  I'm going to give them another week and then file a claim with PayPal.  They owe me some replacement cases for some busted ones I received, too, and that's been an even longer wait.  I don't believe I'll be ordering direct from them again anytime soon.

I suggest you speak with MV Gerhard at La La Land on the phone. he is bound to resolve your issue. You can find their number on their website. Call around mid day.

4 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

So what is the name of the sin for a Noble End type spoiler situation?

Qui-Gon Sin the II? ;)

Hmmm yes. Maybe that is the Qui-Gon Sin and failing to include a key character theme on the soundtrack is the AI Failure (think I’m right in thinking the AI OST omits David’s theme?).

12 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

This happened to me twice with LLL before. They need to implement 4-eye checks with their picking and packing.

I’ve never had any issues with them although I think ordering from Music Box works out best if you’re in Europe in terms of postage cost and delivery time.

To be fair LLL might make the odd mistake but the Varese International store got at least one thing wrong in my order each of the four/five times I ordered from them. Indeed they said they would send the right disc but ended up sending a second copy of the wrong disc. Face. Meet palm.

13 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Indeed they said they would send the right disc but ended up sending a second copy of the wrong disc. Face. Meet palm.

I'm sort of fascinated to know from both a business and tech perspective, what's going wrong to allow that to happen!

I suspect it's just bad communication combined with someone not reading a message properly.

10 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm sort of fascinated to know from both a business and tech perspective, what's going wrong to allow that to happen!

I suspect it's just bad communication combined with someone not reading a message properly.

I know. It’s not like my orders were loads of discs where a mistake might be easier. I never ordered more than 2 or 3 things from them. I mean I got what I ordered in the end and they were quick to sort it but it’s not a surprise they went out of business!

I think Varese's Int'l store was a general wholesaler over here, dealing with all sorts of random crap, so they not only had far more stock, but unlike Varese's team who very much know what a soundtrack is, they probably had zero clue what on earth they were even shipping.

I was extremely relieved when my most crucial purchase from them (see left) arrived safely...

28 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I mean I got what I ordered in the end and they were quick to sort it but it’s not a surprise they went out of business!

My own experience with them was very positive. They surprise-split an order in two because Lionheart was not yet ready for shipping, so they sent that later - but they listed the total price of the full order on the first package, and then Lionheart again (plus shipping) on the follow up package containing only that, so customs ended up charging me twice for that. I send them an email and they quickly refunded the customs fees without any issues.

I guess the main reason they went out of business (or if not, I imagine it would have been the end of them sooner or later) was Brexit. It was supposed to be their European store, but with the entire EU suddenly having to pay customs and taxes for UK orders, buying there wasn't really affordable anymore.

38 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I think Varese's Int'l store was a general wholesaler over here, dealing with all sorts of random crap, so they not only had far more stock, but unlike Varese's team who very much know what a soundtrack is, they probably had zero clue what on earth they were even shipping.

I was extremely relieved when my most crucial purchase from them (see left) arrived safely...

I get that although it’s still just matching the titles of things to the title on the order. Still…

10 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

My own experience with them was very positive. They surprise-split an order in two because Lionheart was not yet ready for shipping, so they sent that later - but they listed the total price of the full order on the first package, and then Lionheart again (plus shipping) on the follow up package containing only that, so customs ended up charging me twice for that. I send them an email and they quickly refunded the customs fees without any issues.

I guess the main reason they went out of business (or if not, I imagine it would have been the end of them sooner or later) was Brexit. It was supposed to be their European store, but with the entire EU suddenly having to pay customs and taxes for UK orders, buying there wasn't really affordable anymore.

…they did have very good customer service despite being a bit rubbish at times so I definitely have no complaints in that department! I got the order in the end. Sadly when crap things happen, brexit is often the reason. Yay sovereignty…

29 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And yet the handful of releases I got from them were pressed in the EU. What a mess!

I think in the end, for those of us wanting quicker (and cheaper, to some extent) receipt of new releases, it didn't end up substantially improving things, really. You guys on the continent were hit with fees, and for us in the UK, on a bad day we could be waiting for 3-4 days after release for CDs to ship, due to the weekend, and I only ever seemed to be offered a 2nd class post option, meaning up to six days from ordering to receiving a package 5 hour's drive from where I am now.

Plus if you looked strictly at the $/£ conversion, we were definitely paying more for the product itself.

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I’ve never had any issues with them although I think ordering from Music Box works out best if you’re in Europe in terms of postage cost and delivery time.

I tried Music Box but they wanted me to order a total of 160 Euros worth of stuff for some reason.

9 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I tried Music Box but they wanted me to order a total of 160 Euros worth of stuff for some reason.

Random. Don’t remember that being an issue but then maybe I just always order shit tons of stuff… which seems likely. 

I've probably been over €160 for all my recent orders (simply because I mostly just order limited soundtracks two or three times a year these days), but I've never seen any indication that I couldn't just place a smaller order if I wanted to.

Probably!  For me, $5 is the perfect “give this CD you might not like a try” price.  Found myself listening to a $5 La La Land CD of Lennertz’s score to Baywatch a few times yesterday and I’m inclined to say the price was about right on there!

Update on these going out of print titles

WARRIORS...15 UNITS LEFT
FIRST KNIGHT...50 UNITS LEFT
FAR AND AWAY...40 UNITS LEFT
LOOPER...50 UNITS LEFT
GALAXY QUEST...50 UNITS LEFT
STAR TREK VOYAGER VOL 1....30 UNITS LEFT

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=150515&forumID=1&archive=0