The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

16 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

when really monthly flyers (which they're not) would never be more than a month away.

The May flyer would. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We are extending our 25% off Spring Sale until March 31, 2023. Remember these sale prices only apply to IN STOCK ITEMS ONLY.

Titles like Titanic, Transformers The Last Knight and ET are back in stock and ready to ship

X Files Event Series will be coming back in stock later in the week

In the meantime, we will not have any new titles for April 2023. As previously announced, the last batch of THE MATRIX RELOADED 2 CD SET AND THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS 2 CD Set will be in at some point in mid April.

Approvals are still not done on any of our new titles, but without a doubt, May will finally see at least 2 new titles come out. That planned release date is May 2, 2023

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=150741&forumID=1&archive=0

Actually I'm relieved that I won't have to spend anything after the big holiday haul. Althought I did pick a few Goldsmiths on their current sale..

So I'll save up for May.

Works for me. I bought a bunch of old Quartet and FSM CDs in January and February and I can’t really justify new soundtrack purchases this month anyway.

4 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Works for me. I bought a bunch of old Quartet and FSM CDs in January and February and I can’t really justify new soundtrack purchases this month anyway.

Which albums did you get?

Thanks! Chaplin and Mary Queen of Scots are newer releases, yeah. I think this edition of Sand Pebbles came out a year or two ago.

I mean I like it, though I honestly listen to the re-recorded tracks Tadlow included with their Blue Max album more than the original recording.

That’s me with Inchon and The Chairman. Boy do those deserve complete new recordings… but the Tadlow suites are fantastic even if too brief.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is The Pebbles any good?

romance:

action:

Yavar

The Jerry action is great, but that sound quality......I used to try to be a Goldsmith completist but had to stop with the Sand Pebbles in particular as it was just not doing anything for me.

On 22/03/2023 at 2:21 AM, thestat said:

The Jerry action is great, but that sound quality......I used to try to be a Goldsmith completist but had to stop with the Sand Pebbles in particular as it was just not doing anything for me.

Have you tried the Varese re-recording conducted by the man himself?

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/03/2023 at 9:27 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Is The Pebbles any good?

Yes. As it's set in the Orient, it could be seen as a forerunner to TORA! TORA! TORA!, but it stands on its own, very nicely.

The film is criminally underrated.

I saw the Rat Race poster and for one second I thought it was John Powell's score for the 2001 remake (one of the most hilarious comedies of my childhood)... :(

Is the Bernstein score any good?

Absolutely no idea - I'm not a Bernstein fan generally and I've no idea if anything from this one ever leaked.

I could've sworn I remembered Powell's score coming out, but a search only suggests a score album in 2001, and I might be confusing it with Agent Cody Banks.

The film's a lot of fun but musically I actually remember the needledrop from this scene more than anything from the score:

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Took me a few moments to click that Rat Race is Bernstein's rejected score from the remake, and not the older one.

What’s even weird is Bernstein scored The Rat Race in 1960 but that’s a totally different story. Rat Race (2001) being a remake of It’s a Mad Mad etc World which Ernest Gold scored. Maybe the producers hired Bernstein in error (although the films seems fairly perfect for him as a quasi retro/remake comedy). But I don’t put complete stupidity past Hollywood producers to be fair. 

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Absolutely no idea - I'm not a Bernstein fan generally and I've no idea if anything from this one ever leaked.

I could've sworn I remembered Powell's score coming out, but a search only suggests a score album in 2001, and I might be confusing it with Agent Cody Banks.

The film's a lot of fun but musically I actually remember the needledrop from this scene more than anything from the score:

There was a score album for Powell’s replacement. It’s fun if not exactly one of his most notable works. However you’re right, Agent Cody Banks didn’t get a score album at the time (but LLL - I think - released it a few years ago and very good it is too).

22 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Agent Cody Banks didn’t get a score album at the time (but LLL - I think - released it a few years ago and very good it is too).

Nope, Intrada

https://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6741&p=73283

LLL did Forces of Nature (and Ferdinand)

45 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

What’s even weird is Bernstein scored The Rat Race in 1960 but that’s a totally different story. Rat Race (2001) being a remake of It’s a Mad Mad etc World which Ernest Gold scored.

While we are on the subject of weird coincidences, Jerry Goldsmith also wrote a score for Babe (1975), as well as a score for Babe (1995), which went rejected (before being recorded, in that case… but a new recording for album could still be produced from the written music!)

One is about a real life athlete and the other is about a fictional pig. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

51 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Maybe the producers hired Bernstein in error (although the films seems fairly perfect for him as a quasi retro/remake comedy). But I don’t put complete stupidity past Hollywood producers to be fair. 

No way. Ray Race was directed by Jerry Zucker, director of Airplane… I’m pretty sure he knew who Elmer Bernstein was, and wanted him on this.

Also, from agent Richard Kraft:

“When Jerry Goldsmith was unable to score Jerry Zucker’s RAT RACE I gave Elmer an enthusiastic, unofficial recommendation. One day at baggage claim in LAX I bumped into Elmer’s daughter, Emilie, who was working as her father’s orchestrator. She had just flown back from London where the plug had been pulled on Elmer’s RAT RACE score. I offered a feeble joke about how he had already scored THE RAT RACE 40 years ago. We smiled, but deep down I felt awful that there are no “Get Out of Jail Free” cards for film composers, no matter how much they’ve accomplished. Every score is another testing ground and rejection is always a lurking possibility.”

https://perspectiveforum.net/2016/05/22/my-savior-elmer-bernstein/

Yavar

Yay! An unknown Bernstein works for me.

And Sabrina, absolutely fantastic! Also terrific artwork. Can only be Jim Titus.

I had no idea Alan Parker scored Gilbert Grape, I might have to pick up this whole batch.

Nice early surprise from LLL.

11 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

While we are on the subject of weird coincidences, Jerry Goldsmith also wrote a score for Babe (1975), as well as a score for Babe (1995), which went rejected (before being recorded, in that case… but a new recording for album could still be produced from the written music!)

Yeah I remember that one now you mention it. Presumably if a composer writes scores for two films of the same name where one isn't a remake of the other, it causes some kind of anomaly in time and space that could cause a rupture in the universe and an entire season of Doctor Who, therefore they always mysteriously end up not scoring the second film... just a theory ;-)

Fingers crossed for a rejected Babe (pig version) recording one day (if we will it enough, maybe it'll happen).

11 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

No way. Ray Race was directed by Jerry Zucker, director of Airplane… I’m pretty sure he knew who Elmer Bernstein was, and wanted him on this.

Also, from agent Richard Kraft:

“When Jerry Goldsmith was unable to score Jerry Zucker’s RAT RACE I gave Elmer an enthusiastic, unofficial recommendation. One day at baggage claim in LAX I bumped into Elmer’s daughter, Emilie, who was working as her father’s orchestrator. She had just flown back from London where the plug had been pulled on Elmer’s RAT RACE score. I offered a feeble joke about how he had already scored THE RAT RACE 40 years ago. We smiled, but deep down I felt awful that there are no “Get Out of Jail Free” cards for film composers, no matter how much they’ve accomplished. Every score is another testing ground and rejection is always a lurking possibility.”

https://perspectiveforum.net/2016/05/22/my-savior-elmer-bernstein/

Yavar

I was semi-joking in a way that doesn't necessarily come across in text alone and I was fairly certain it was a huge coincidence but good to know (if a depressing outcome). Funnily enough I listened to both Elmer's The Rat Race, Powell's Rat Race (not a remake of that) and Gold's It's a Mad, Mad etc. World (the actual thing it's a remake of) fairly recently and enjoyed all three. I think there should be a version of It's a Small World After All with the lyrics of It's a Mad World After All that just goes round and round in a psychotic loop at the end of the album to drive you to drink.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2023 at 2:08 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

Funnily enough I listened to both Elmer's The Rat Race, Powell's Rat Race (not a remake of that) and Gold's It's a Mad, Mad etc. World (the actual thing it's a remake of) fairly recently and enjoyed all three. I think there should be a version of It's a Small World After All with the lyrics of It's a Mad World After All that just goes round and round in a psychotic loop at the end of the album to drive you to drink.

I’m checking out the new Bernstein Rat Race sound clips and really enjoying what I’m hearing:

https://lalalandrecords.com/rat-race-limited-edition/

I particularly love that gorgeous theme that starts up near the end of the first clip. But overall, to me this sounds almost like Elmer’s equivalent of Looney Tunes: Back in Action. It’s like Gold’s Mad Mad World mixed with Carl Stalling but filtered through Elmer’s own style, with multiple callbacks to his own previous genre approaches. There are fun riffs including an almost Magnificent Seven sounding theme in the final cue… I look forward to hearing the whole thing!

Yavar