The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

What are the chances of OHMSS getting released this year? Wasn’t a bond release back on the table?

For some reason I had never seen OHMSS until yesterday (probably because of Lazenby) but I was so impressed! It’s definitively one of the very best Bond movies and Barry’s score is insanely good. The main theme and the love theme are all time greats and an expansion and remaster is really needed!

After just one listen, I’d say that OHMSS is the best Barry bond score. My precious favorite was Golden Gun but the themes in Majesty are just so good.

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If any Bond score is crying out for a rerecording, it's MOONRAKER.

Well, James Fitzpatrick did successfully kickstart a re-recording project in 2015, but then cancelled it. I don't remember the details, but I guess the necessary rights aren't (or at least weren't) available. And considering it wasn't Fitzpatrick's first - nor his last - re-recording by far, it probably means the rights situation is more complex than expected.

20 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, James Fitzpatrick did successfully kickstart a re-recording project in 2015, but then cancelled it. I don't remember the details, but I guess the necessary rights aren't (or at least weren't) available. And considering it wasn't Fitzpatrick's first - nor his last - re-recording by far, it probably means the rights situation is more complex than expected.

Wasn't the Kickstart just a stunt?

I don't think so. I think James Fitzpatrick is just a guy who has invested years of his life and a lot of his own money into making soundtrack recordings, but ultimately hasn't gotten much to show for it. Remember how he had the entire score for The Ten Commandments reconstructed for a new recording, but then abandoned the project when he found out Intrada would be releasing the original tracks? I think that was mostly a financial decision for him. In the case of Moonraker, I think that despite all his experience James underestimated both the cost and the rights issues required to make a new James Bond recording and when he realized the complexity of the task at hand, he decided it was more than he wanted to deal with.

24 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

I don't think so. I think James Fitzpatrick is just a guy who has invested years of his life and a lot of his own money into making soundtrack recordings, but ultimately hasn't gotten much to show for it. Remember how he had the entire score for The Ten Commandments reconstructed for a new recording, but then abandoned the project when he found out Intrada would be releasing the original tracks?

Did he have to reconstruct the score? The parts I would assume.

42 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Did he have to reconstruct the score? The parts I would assume.

I mean, I don't know how involved of a process it is, but most of the scores Prometheus/Tadlow have tackled mention "reconstruction" in the press release, e.g. Ben-Hur, King of Kings, Duel in the Sun, Lawrence of Arabia, Is Paris Burning, QB VII, The Blue Max, The Salamander...

11 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

I mean, I don't know how involved of a process it is, but most of the scores Prometheus/Tadlow have tackled mention "reconstruction" in the press release, e.g. Ben-Hur, King of Kings, Duel in the Sun, Lawrence of Arabia, Is Paris Burning, QB VII, The Blue Max, The Salamander...

I expect it's quite involved unless there's a full set of clean instrumental parts. Assuming not, they would likely need to prepare them based on whatever material is available (which may just be the conductor's score) and there's probably lots of little adjustments that were made at the original recording sessions that would need to be reflected in the new orchestral parts (unless the decision is made to go with the composer's original intentions which is sometimes the case).

12 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

I don't think so. I think James Fitzpatrick is just a guy who has invested years of his life and a lot of his own money into making soundtrack recordings, but ultimately hasn't gotten much to show for it. Remember how he had the entire score for The Ten Commandments reconstructed for a new recording, but then abandoned the project when he found out Intrada would be releasing the original tracks? I think that was mostly a financial decision for him. In the case of Moonraker, I think that despite all his experience James underestimated both the cost and the rights issues required to make a new James Bond recording and when he realized the complexity of the task at hand, he decided it was more than he wanted to deal with.

That is a real shame as I have to admit that The Ten Commandments isn't a full score I'm likely to listen to, well, ever, as the sound of the original tracks is rarely above passable and is often downright terrible so like many am likely to stick to the 1960 Dot soundtrack album which was the version most widely available previously on CD (and sounds pretty decent).

Given that the original Moonraker tracks aren't as lost as was thought and, unless they have been significantly damaged, could quite likely be remastered quite effectively (if the other Bond scores of the era are anything to go by) then I'm not sure I'd consider it a super high priority. Having said that, it does have the cache of Bond and Barry which would likely make it a good seller to support more niche recordings. Of course a key issue with recording a Bond score is what to do about the title song... I'm pretty sure Shirley would be out of their price range.

On 07/05/2023 at 10:10 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Do you mean the score, in which case, I agree 100%

Yes, the score. No way I'm putting OHMSS the movie against Moonraker the movie. (Although I do love Moonraker.)

Every time I think about watching OHMSS I think of the comment Barry made about Lazenby being like "oh wow, it fits!" at one of the recording sessions after hearing a cue played to picture. Needless to say Barry was about as amused as Her Majesty would have been.

• 2 weeks later...

LA-LA LAND MEMORIAL DAY SPECIAL!!!

Join us in honoring MEMORIAL DAY with great sale prices on these dramatic CD titles...

GLORY (2-CD SET) and QUINN MARTIN VOL 4 (2-CD SET) are ONLY $20 EACH

Glory_CoverWeb.jpg QMv4-12oclockhighWeb.jpg
GOLDSMITH AT 20th VOL 1 and VOL 4 (2-CD SETS) are ONLY $15 EACH

GoldsmithVol1-Web.jpg GoldsmithVol4-Web.jpg
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and APOCALYPSE NOW are ONLY $10 EACH

SavingPrivateRyan20th_Web.jpg ApocalypseNowDS-Web.jpg
FIELD OF LOST SHOES, DOGS OF WAR and THE OUTPOST are ONLY $5 EACH

fieldoflostshoes-Web.jpg Dogs_of_War_Web.jpg outpost-cover_Web-A.jpg

Sale prices are good NOW thru 5/31

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2on0jo--13j5vg-ag4f6q6

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, mstrox said:

I wonder if this Munsters thing is Mike’s non-Williams project that has a quote from John Williams.  IIRC new Williams comments have been included in previous Marshall releases

Didn't Williams score an episode of Wagon Train?

15 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Didn't Williams score an episode of Wagon Train?

Nope. He scored (at least) SIX. :john: The old Wagon Train LP re-recording that was released in the late 50s included three cuts by Williams on it. (Alas, there's never been a licensed CD produced of it.)

But his original association with Jack Marshall I believe was playing piano on Marshall's second film score:

https://lalalandrecords.com/thunder-road-the-film-music-of-jack-marshall-limited-edition/

"Produced by Mike Matessino and Frank Marshall (producer/director and son of the composer), this special release of 1200 Units, meticulously restored by Matessino, features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer Jon Burlingame, a candid forward from Frank Marshall and a personal introductory note from Jack Marshall’s friend, composer John Williams, who performed as pianist on THUNDER ROAD in one of his early Hollywood session assignments."

Yavar

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

At least he could have contributed with an anecdote for the expanded Schindler's List.

“I was ideally placed to score this film being a highly talented, respected and thoughtful composer working with my longest and closest directorial collaborator who knew I’d be more than up to the challenges. And I’m still alive.”

47 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

At least he could have contributed with an anecdote for the expanded Schindler's List.

That's two jokes in one right there.

2 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Funny that JW gives quotes on other people's expanded CD releases, but not his own.

Humility, I guess. And maybe he thinks that his music speaks for itself. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He already did with *the* anecdote. That’s the anecdote of anecdotes. 
A short reminiscence about the score like what he did for the JWSS scores would be lovely, though.

• 2 weeks later...

The JOHN WILLIAMS DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION- EARTHQUAKE, TOWERING INFERNO, POSEIDON ADVENTURE (4-CD BOX SET) is arriving back in stock and is available to order NOW - STARTS SHIPPING AGAIN ON 6/20/23

THE FOLLOWING TITLES ARE GOING OUT OF PRINT ON 6/30/23 (or when the stock sells out...whichever happens first)

LESS THAN 200 UNITS REMAIN

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (3-CD SET)

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE '96 ELFMAN (2-CD SET)

LESS THAN 100 UNITS REMAIN

FRENCH CONNECTION COLLECTION (2-CD SET)

BEVERLY HILLS COP

UNSTOPPABLE

LESS THAN 30 UNITS REMAIN

THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER

QUINN MARTIN VOL 2 - THE INVADERS (2-CD SET)

LESS THAN 500 UNITS REMAIN of KINGSMAN THE SECRET SERVICE- KINGSMAN SALE PRICE ONLY $5 EACH

AND THE FOLLOWING CDs WILL GO OUT OF PRINT ONCE STOCK SELLS OUT!

Get them at a great SALE price NOW while they last. Less than 300 of each of these left!!!!

ONLY $25 EACH:

DARKMAN (2-CD SET)
TIME TUNNEL TV VOL 1 (3-CD SET)
WONDER WOMAN TV (3-CD SET)

ONLY $15 EACH:

DAY OF THE DEAD (2-CD SET)
BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (2-CD SET)
LADYHAWKE (2-CD SET)
THE PEACEMAKER (2-CD SET)
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE TV '88 (2-CD SET)

NOTE: New orders may not be combined with previous or current orders.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=151424&forumID=1&archive=0

• 3 weeks later...