The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

I ordered The Fugitive from Movie Music, looking forward to getting the complete score for that. Hmm, if that info on Alan Silvestri's site is accurate I'll pick up The Eraser for sure and toss the boot.

Alternatively, you could order from www.moviemusic.com

And add a third title to get $1 shipping!

I did just that, adding Dragonheart. Somebody I know asked me to buy it if it exists, and so it does.

Order placed at 12:08 and I just received an e-mail less than two hours later that my order has shipped.

Damn, that was fast!

Now, if USPS would be that fast... ;)

Well, after much dithering I took the plunge. I really, really hope there's nothing else released between now and Christmas. I also took advantage of the sale on older titles, too good to pass up. I got:

Innerspace

Blazing Saddles (on sale for $9.98)

Farscape, Vol. 3 (on sale for $9.98)

I listened to the samples to The Fugitive. They were nice, but not enough to get me to buy the score. Didn't sound much like the JNH I've been exposed to.

It's early JNH. I'm not much of a fan of that period in his career, but The Fugitive is easily the best one from that time. JNH is an interesting composer. He was pretty successful for 10 years and then he underwent a serious change in style in 1999.

I would say that this score doesn't click with me because it's JNH in 'early' mode, but then I really want a complete Falling Down (1991) which is actually a few years before. It's a very rustic, raw score with a lot of 90s synthy effects - maybe that's it. I do like the main theme though.

Thing with JNH is that I enjoy his work over a wide period, but not all of it, so it's almost pot luck to pick a score as to whether I'll enjoy it. But I've known him as a composer who can do any style whatsoever - animation, western, thriller, drama, comedy - he's literally done every genre there is. I think it's difficult to like everything.

It's early JNH. I'm not much of a fan of that period in his career, but The Fugitive is easily the best one from that time. JNH is an interesting composer. He was pretty successful for 10 years and then he underwent a serious change in style in 1999.

The Prince of Tides is another early score of his that I like. Has he written a theme that catchy since? It's not a great score - so much mawkish romantic music - but the nostalgic main theme is just wonderful.

I hate syrupy romantic music; don't really care who wrote it - it rarely has orchestration that truly comes from the heart.

Maybe one exception is JNH's My Best Friend's Wedding' which has some catchy moments.

WooHoo!!! Got a shipping confirmation yesterday.

:D MovieMusic's orders will be in first of next week I believe. I can wait though. ;) However, my BTTF copy is on it's way to me.

Interesting they are doing Eraser and Mv Gerhard did confirm it over at FSM.

Folks I think the floodgates are opening and we are gonna get a lot of stuff we've all wanted.

Minus Lucasfilm and Sony. :D

Well Lucasfilm doesn't have much I'd want, the OT (the most important scores there are) are pretty complete, I could live with the Concord Indy boxset although I would certainly like a complete TOD, but it's not anywhere as vital as it was once, the Concord release included all of my most wanted unreleased stuff. The Prequels are going to happen eventually no matter what (may take some years though), besides the only really good prequel score is pretty much complete between the two releases and some videogame music, although I would of course buy a version that is not a mess on CD. That only leaves a complete Willow as something I would buy but may not happen.

Sony is more troublesome as I think Hook is a Sony release and that's the expanded/complete score I want the most.

I

Would

LOVE

Complete prequel scores.

As would I. Just because their level of amazingness is somewhat lower than that of their predecessors doesn't make them terrible or something. If the prequel scores were given the sort of treatment the OT scores were given in '97, I'd buy all three in an instant.

As would I. Just because their level of amazingness is somewhat lower than that of their predecessors doesn't make them terrible or something. If the prequel scores were given the sort of treatment the OT scores were given in '97, I'd buy all three in an instant.

I'm sure the Prequel scores will be given the same treatment as the OT scores in due time. It's just a matter of when. Maybe when the Saga is finally released on Blu-Ray we'll get the intended editions of the Prequel scores as part of the soundtrack tie in.

I think that while we'll eventually get expanded prequel scores it may take some time. Right now Clone Wars is very popular so they have a lot of toys to sale to kids. Once the popularity of Clone Wars is over, or when the show is over and kids move on to other things, Lucasfilm will have to rely on the older, long time SW fans and one day they'll notice they could make a buck or two by selling the scores with more music, they might even doubledip (like with the Anthology and SE) and give us expanded and then complete releases.

Also, the newest prequel isn't even 5 years old, when we got expanded OT music ROTJ, the newest one, was 10 years old.

So have I. The race is on: will I get this or BttF first?

Yes, the suspense is what keeps us collectors going.

For me, the suspense is whether I'll receive it before Monday or not, since I hope to get a few listens before my hellacious next week.

I'm sure he means 200 left at La-La Land. Other distributors probably have copies to sell once La-La Land is sold out. For instance they sold out of Airplane! very quickly, but Screen Archives still has new copies for sale.

Neil

I'm sure he means 200 left at La-La Land. Other distributors probably have copies to sell once La-La Land is sold out. For instance they sold out of Airplane! very quickly, but Screen Archives still has new copies for sale.

Neil

Ah yes, good point.

Just because their level of amazingness is somewhat lower than that of their predecessors doesn't make them terrible or something. If the prequel scores were given the sort of treatment the OT scores were given in '97, I'd buy all three in an instant.

I'm sure the Prequel scores will be given the same treatment as the OT scores in due time. It's just a matter of when. Maybe when the Saga is finally released on Blu-Ray we'll get the intended editions of the Prequel scores as part of the soundtrack tie in.

Yes, I must have all complete Star Wars scores, starting with the two we have the least music on: AotC and RotS. I'm still bummed that some of the Jabba'a palace and sail barge music masters are lost or destroyed.

I'm blind buying it too, but lately I've been really discovering Goldsmith (with Secret of NIMH, The Great Train Robbery, Total Recall, First Blood, Lionheart) and is awesome, he has surpassed Elfman as my second favorite composer and at times he's even got me thinking he's better than Williams. I then play some SW or Indy and think "no, no... Johnny is the best, sorry I doubted you, Master", but it's close. Also Mark O. said it was like Rebirth from Poltergeist, I couldn't pass this score after a statement like that.

I'm blind buying it too, but lately I've been really discovering Goldsmith (with Secret of NIMH, The Great Train Robbery, Total Recall, First Blood, Lionheart) and is awesome, he has surpassed Elfman as my second favorite composer and at times he's even got me thinking he's better than Williams. I then play some SW or Indy and think "no, no... Johnny is the best, sorry I doubted you, Master", but it's close. Also Mark O. said it was like Rebirth from Poltergeist, I couldn't pass this score after a statement like that.

Just wait 'til you start listening to John Barry!

^^^Diego...Innerspace is nowhere in the league of Poltergeist .I don't recall anything that sounds like Rebirth

Before Poltergeist was released on c.d. I remember driving many hours while on vacation in the US looking for the LP in record shops and never found it. I wanted to hear Rebirth outside of the film really badly

Well, I think Mark (the other Mark) said it sounded like Rebirth, maybe I'm wrong, maybe he was refering to something else. Still, the samples sounded good, what I found on YouTube sounded good so I ordered it. I'm not really expecting another Poltergeist, as I rank Poltergeist among my very favorites, to me, it's pretty much on the SW OT, Indy, Jaws, Superman, E.T. level, it would be hard to top it. However I've been enjoying Goldsmith a lot and have yet to be dissapointed, but like I said I'm pretty much starting to discover him (other than Poltergeist and a few others which I've known for years). With the great number of scores he did, there's got to be a stinker or two, but I've yet to found one.

Everyone has stinkers. It's just that Jerry's (and Williams and others at their level) stinkers don't stink as much as other's stinkers.

...Man, that has me thinking about the Williams' musical farts thread again. ;)

Probably the weakest Jerrys I have are ST: Insurrection and Air Force One, but I would call neither a stinker, they're still very listenable.

The Haunting isn't a stinker, it's a pure autopilot score with a wonderful main theme. Insurrection has some of Goldsmith's best action writing in an otherwise unremarkable but solid score.

But Hollow Man, that's Goldsmith's last Great Score.

The Haunting isn't a stinker, it's a pure autopilot score with a wonderful main theme. Insurrection has some of Goldsmith's best action writing in an otherwise unremarkable but solid score.

But Hollow Man, that's Goldsmith's last Great Score.

Yeah, but it's short on hum-along melodies and strong on concept and motivic development. That's akin to high treason for a lot of fans.

As simple as Air Force One is, Goldsmith and McNeely composed a fun, solid action score that satisfies my listening.

"The Hijacking" is just 8 minutes of pure fun and adrenaline.

As simple as Air Force One is, Goldsmith and McNeely composed a fun, solid action score that satisfies my listening.

"The Hijacking" is just 8 minutes of pure fun and adrenaline.

Sometimes simple is better. I personally love Air Force One. Haven't actually got 'round to buying it yet though! :P

Got my copy of The Fugitive today! :rolleyes: Been listening a LOT to "The Trial", "Kimble Saves The Boy", and "Kimble Calls Gerard", they're probably my favorite cues out of all the previously unreleased material.