The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

This just in from the FSM Board. Two new limited titles coming up next week from LLL:

ERASER - Alan Silvestri's machismo oozing score comes blasting out at ya courtesy of our ongoing EXPANDED ARCHIVAL COLLECTION. The project was produced by your's truly, mastered by James Nelson and liner notes written by Daniel Schweiger!

Limited Edition of 3000 units

DRAGONSLAYER - making it's OFFICIAL DEBUT on CD (that "other release" was a boot, sad to say) comes one of Alex North's last unsung masterpieces. Clocking in at over 70 minutes, Dragonslayer is chock full of some North's trademark tunes and delicious orchestrations. A must for any fan of the film or 80's film music! Produced by Lord Dan Goldwasser, mastered by Sir Mike Matesinno and liner notes written by the always chivalrous Jeff Bond.

Limited edition of 3000 units

See you all next Tuesday at Noon PST!

The first one was already known, but North's Dragonslayer is a very welcome surprise! I love that score.

The SCSE release was a bootleg? Seriously?

Does that mean all of their releases are phonies? If so that means I have to buy the new LaLaLand release and get rid of the SCSE release. Apparently LaLaLand's release will have more music on it.

Does that mean all of their releases are phonies? If so that means I have to buy the new LaLaLand release and get rid of the SCSE release. Apparently LaLaLand's release will have more music on it.

That does seem a bit strange, I thought it and KRULL were legit. Still, nice release.

The CD is, yes. The LP was legit.

MV

I know, I just asked after I typed my post here.

I've never seen (or heard of) the movie. Any good?

Interesting. I don't have SCSE's Krull release - I have the 2CD, complete release on Supertracks label... which, according to soundtrackcollector, is a bootleg! I had no idea!

That does seem a bit strange, I thought it and KRULL were legit. Still, nice release.

Yeah, Krull had several releases thru SCSE, a short 45 minute release and two 70+, one was a gold disc. I just noticed that Soundtrack Collector has the Supertracks release of Krull listed as a bootleg. Interesting.

Of course this could mean that the CD was made professionally but without the proper clearance. Or SCSE didn't realize they needed one since they pressed the LP.

****edit***

Jason beat me to it.

I've never seen (or heard of) the movie. Any good?

Interesting. I don't have SCSE's Krull release - I have the 2CD, complete release on Supertracks label... which, according to soundtrackcollector, is a bootleg! I had no idea!

Yes Dragonslayer is actually a good film and features some outstanding go motion/puppet work that outshines a lot of CGI.

I will give you a warning, if you don't like Alex North's music then this score isn't for you. It's very dissonant and atonal at times. Although it does feature his rejected docking cue from 2001.

I had the short SCSE release of Krull but gave it to a friend when the Supertracks release was issued.

If it is illegal, well too bad because it's a well done release. I'm not gonna feel guilty for purchasing it.

I'd love to pick up some more North if I had the money, 2001 is great. Hopefully it'll stick around for a bit.

I'll give you my old copy. :P

I'm not too familiar with Alex North's music at all, actually. Though I did listen to and enjoy 2001 (Intrada)

Was just reading about Dragonslayer on wikipedia. Sounds like an interesting film! It was released to theaters just 2 weeks after Raiders Of The Lost Ark, and was up against it in several Academy Award categories, including Best Score. Both scores lost to Chariots of Fire! :P

It's a fun film, with the coolest dragon ever to grace the silver screen. I think Del Toro mentioned while talking about Smaug that Vermithrax Pejorative (the dragon in the film) is the one to beat.

This just in from the FSM Board. Two new limited titles coming up next week from LLL:

ERASER - Alan Silvestri's machismo oozing score comes blasting out at ya courtesy of our ongoing EXPANDED ARCHIVAL COLLECTION. The project was produced by your's truly, mastered by James Nelson and liner notes written by Daniel Schweiger!

Limited Edition of 3000 units

Finally, an LE I'm interested in :P

The OST is a great listen, and Silvestri really hit me with that theme. Never seen the film or worn the footwarmer so I'm going on faith.

Southern Cross produced the original Krull release from the 45 minute LP master.

They then produced a 78 minute SCSE release, limited to 3000 copies, followed by another run due to demand, and they quickly became OOP collectors items.

Then SuperCollector produced the 2CD Complete Score release, which was actually pretty good, and is the release I currently have.

I have seen the 78 minute release, and it was a great CD for the time.

All releases, I believe, are currently OOP, and none were boots.

So Supercollector = Super Tracks?

My Krull 2CD says Super Tracks on it

EDIT: Yup, Super Collector = Super Tracks

I'm glad my Krull CD is legit!

I asked MV this on the LLL message boards:

Here's a question. A post by MV later in the thread seems to indicate that Dragonslayer is Complete.

What about Eraser?

Mars Attacks! was released as part of the "Expanded Archival Series" line, and that was not complete. Will Eraser be?

And he replied with this:

Just about. As per Mr Silvestri's request we retain his original main title at the beginning of the album. The album will not feature the one they end up using in the film composed by Walter Werzowa. Also, one cue on the album (Track 3) is the version Mr Silvestri originally wanted to use (less guitar), as opposed to the one they used in the film. There are a few :30 to :50 second tracks that didn't make the cut either. Nothing major. smile.gif

Track Listing:

1 MAIN TITLE (UNUSED) 2:39

2 NEED A LIFT* 4:04

3 YOU'VE BEEN ERASED* 2:43

4 SHE'S IN 6:14

5 CANDID CAMERA* 1:32

6 YOUR MUSIC*/COMPACT*/BALLOON ATTACK* 7:21

7 KRUGER'S STORY (EXPANDED) 2:13

8 CABIN RAID 4:43

9 KRUGER GET'S DRUGGED* 3:11

10 KRUGER ESCAPES 4:09

11 IT'S A JUNGLE* 3:16

12 "YOU'RE LUGGAGE" (AKA HOLD YOUR FIRE)* 3:20

13 "WHEN I HAVE PROOF" 3:21

14 CYREZ BREAK IN (EXPANDED) 8:24

15 UNION TROUBLE 2:47

16 THE WAREHOUSE* 3:26

17 THE DOCK FIGHT (EXPANDED) 4:47

18 FINAL SHOWDOWN* 3:18

19 REUNION 1:44

20 VAN EXPLOSION* 1:07

21 THE ERASER (EXPANDED) (AKA BRILLIANT PIECE OF WORK/FINALE) 2:59

TOTAL TIME 77:18:00

*- unreleased tracks

MV

Dragonslayer is a must have. Hope it will be there when I order it in April.

And Eraser, I already have the original release and listen to it often. There are many others score by Silverstri deserve a complete release, i.e. The Mummy Return.

If memory serves me right, the music in the film was edited around. Most of that scene's cue was tracked with part of the main titles.

Dragonslayer sounds fascinating! It's about time I added some North to my collection.

I haven't seen the movie since it came out. So it is well and gone from my memory. Sounds interesting though. I may have to get it.

Dragonslayer sounds fascinating! It's about time I added some North to my collection.

Same here. Very interesting to listen to. But it really doesn't match with the action on screen. Well, not in any conventional way at least. You'd expect to hear some blaring brass or some anvil crashes, and yet North scores the Dragon scenes with fluttering woodwinds. VERY interesting, and so unconventional. I'll be buying.

It's about time I did the same as well, though I plan to buy Spartacus as well whenever it shows up.

The comments on that YouTube link are certainly polarizing. Some consider it brilliant, and some want to put it in the same category as Ladyhawke.

Well if those few 30 to 50 second cues are not there but on the foot-warmer then I'll keep just those ones from the foot-warmer and delete the rest.

It's irritating (not in a way that it's the label's fault of course) that many scores from this period are just a tad too long to fit on one CD. I could see it presenting a dilemma if it meant leaving off a key sequence but I guess in this case you just have to hope that the foot-warmer has what you want

No sign of autographs for this one though?

With a total running time of 77:18, I feel like those few :30 to :50 cues could have fit, and they just chose not to include them. Fail.

And no, no autographs. MV said on the FSM boards that Mr. Silvestri has been busy and unable to sign, for either this or Dutch, but they hope to get him to sign booklets for their next Silvestri release (didn't say what it was though)

Same here. Very interesting to listen to. But it really doesn't match with the action on screen. Well, not in any conventional way at least. You'd expect to hear some blaring brass or some anvil crashes, and yet North scores the Dragon scenes with fluttering woodwinds. VERY interesting, and so unconventional. I'll be buying.

If memory serves me right, the music in the film was edited around. Most of that scene's cue was tracked with part of the main titles.

I went back and watched the last bit of Dragonslayer last night and the music is indeed tracked/edited as I mentioned. I'm curious to see the liner notes as the End Credits in the film are very short and doesn't use the piece composed by North.

I'm not going to link it but the film is on youtube.

Hmmm. I think I have a 10 minute suite of Blown Away music at the end of the ole Predator boot. I'll have to check it out

I believe that's where I first heard the score. A strange cue at the end that oddly I enjoyed more than Predator itself...

Thing is, it's a score for some sort of 90s thriller, yet every image the score projects is some sort of medieval fantasy. A very unique score IMO.

I never saw the movie.

All I remember is the demo to the PC game that a guy in high school lent me one time. In the game, a nurse would say "You keep drinking, Mr. Dove, and I'll keep emptying the bedpan."

Yeah, folks, "Dragonslayer" is a truly great score, from one of Hollywood's unsung heroes. The Southern Cross release sounds like a million dollars (and it completely legit!), so I'm already sailvating at the thought of what the remastered c.d. will sound like. One small point ("here it comes"); North reused parts of his score for "2001", for this score, but don't let that put you off. Now for "Spartacus"...

DRAGONSLAYER: LIMITED EDITION

DRAGONSLAYER: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1128

Music by Alex North

Limited Edition of 3000 Units

NOW SHIPPING

RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

ORDER "DRAGONSLAYER: LIMITED EDITION" March 23rd at www.lalalandrecords.com

Presenting the official CD release of Alex North's (SPARTACUS, A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, CLEOPATRA, BITE THE BULLET, PRIZZI'S HONOR) score to the 1981 Paramount Pictures and Walt Disney Productions feature film DRAGONSLAYER, starring Peter MacNicol and Caitlin Clarke and directed by Matthew Robbins. North's masterful orchestral score harnesses all the pathos, danger and heart in this beloved fantasy epic, which continues to build a devoted following decades since its original release. Produced by Dan Goldwasser and remastered by Mike Matessino from a 3-track LCR master recording, this expanded limited edition release presents the correctly-titled cues in film order and includes Bonus Tracks. CD booklet features in-depth liner notes and track analysis by Jeff Bond. This is a limited edition of 3000 units.

TRACK LISTING:

01. Main Title (2:46)

02. No Sorcerers – No Dragons (1:47)

03. Ulrich's Death and Mourning / The Amulet (3:29)

04. Forest Romp (1:32)

05. Maiden's Sacrifice (4:25)

06. Visions and Reflections / Hodge's Death (4:46)

07. The Lair / Landslide (4:14)

08. Galen Jailed / Galen's Escape* (2:20)

09. Jacopus Blasted (2:25)

10. Burning Village** (1:10)

11. The Lance / The Lottery** (4:40)

12. Galen's Search for the Amulet (1:09)

13. Valerian's Dragon Scales (1:29)

14. Still a Virgin (1: 57)

15. Elspeth's Destiny / Tyrian – Galen Fight (3:12)

16. 3 Darling Dragonettes / Triumphant Dragon (2:38)

17. A Slight Skirmish (3:15)

18. Dejection / Eclipse / Resurrection of Ulrich (5:27)

19. Dragon Sore-ing (1:13)

20. Destroy That Amulet! (2:46)

21. 'Tis the Final Conflict** (4:13)

22. Intro to End Credits / End Credits** (4:35)

TOTAL SCORE TIME: 65:43

BONUS TRACKS

23. Dance Montage (2:53)

24. A Slight Skirmish (alternate) (3:22)

25. Main Title (original) (1:22) [with hidden bonus]

TOTAL BONUS TIME: 7:38

* not used in film

** contains material not used in film

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 73:24

ERASER: LIMITED EDITION

ERASER: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1129

Music by Alan Silvestri

Limited Edition of 3000 Units

NOW SHIPPING

RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

ORDER "ERASER: LIMITED EDITION" March 23rd at www.lalalandrecords.com

Presenting the latest title in our Expanded Archival Collection -- Composer Alan Silvestri's (BACK TO THE FUTURE TRILOGY, FORREST GUMP, PREDATOR, DUTCH) full-throttle score to the 1996 Warner Bros. feature film ERASER, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Vanessa Williams and James Caan and directed by Charles Russell. Silvestri's blood-pumping orchestral score propels this big-budget actioner, enhancing all the film's non-stop suspense and thrills. Produced by MV Gerhard and remastered by James Nelson, this limited edition release features more than 30 minutes of previously unreleased music and includes exclusive, in-depth liner notes and track analysis by Daniel Schweiger. This is a limited edition release of 3000 units.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Main Title (Unused) (2:39)

2. Need A Lift* (4:04)

3. You've Been Erased* (2:43)

4. She's In (6:14)

5. Candid Camera* (1:32)

6. Your Music*/Compact*/Balloon Attack* (7:21)

7. Kruger's Story (Expanded) (2:13)

8. Cabin Raid (4:43)

9. Kruger Get's Drugged* (3:11)

10. Kruger Escapes (4:09)

11. It's A Jungle (3:16)

12. "You're Luggage" (aka Hold Your Fire)* (3:20)

13. "When I Have Proof" (3:21)

14. Cyrez Break In (Expanded) (8:24)

15. Union Trouble (2:47)

16. The Warehouse* (3:26)

17. The Dock Fight (Expanded) (4:47)

18. Final Showdown* (3:18)

19. Reunion (1:44)

20. Van Explosion* (1:07)

21. The Eraser (Expanded) (aka Brilliant Piece Of Work/Finale) (2:59)

* - denotes tracks that were previously unreleased

Total Running Time: 77:18

I'm surprisingly tempted by Dragonslayer too actually. Something about it being a fantasy score gives the clips an unusual light.

Clips on YT are very old school though. Not sure if it's worth the gamble when there's no way in hell I'm watching the movie.

Time for a hefty order on SAE: Dragonslayer, The Goonies and The Spiral Road... ouch, my poor wallet!

If you're ordering 3 titles. www.moviemusic.com would be far cheaper, as they offer $1 shipping when you buy 3 titles or more

Grabbed Dragonslayer, Eraser & Nate and Hayes.

I normally don't care about artwork but thank god LaLaLand improved Dragonslayer's artwork over the previous release.