The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

I'd definitely buy a Die Hard box. I will also definitely be picking up The Edge, but I've got a week to be convinced to get Speed 2. I like what I hear, but it just doesn't feel like something I absolutely have to have. I'd also love a chance to be able to pick up Predator and Predator 2 (maybe one of these is the other Silvestri release for the year?).

Rumors also have the possibility of Goldsmith's Star Trek TMP and Star Trek V coming from LaLaLand this year.

I think we will see these releases but if anyone is going to do them it will probably be FSM.

I'd definitely buy a Die Hard box. I will also definitely be picking up The Edge, but I've got a week to be convinced to get Speed 2. I like what I hear, but it just doesn't feel like something I absolutely have to have. I'd also love a chance to be able to pick up Predator and Predator 2 (maybe one of these is the other Silvestri release for the year?).

Hopefully! I wasn't aware of the Varese Club edition of Predator until after it was already sold out. And I'd love a complete release of Predator 2.

I agree that B&R is probably cheaper and easier for them to release than EAC versions of the first 3. I hope LLL gets to do all 4!

MV *has* confirmed that they are releasing an Elfman title this year. Throwing Batman 1 & 2 to the side for the moment, what other possibilities are there?

I'm definitely getting The Edge, great theme and I love the low brass for the bear. Anyone want a copy of the original CD? ;)

Well, if you don't want it anymore... yeah :lol:

While it's not on everyone's list, Scrooged is one Elfman I'm to see soon. And I may be mistaken but I thought MV had mentioned Batman & Robin was the one he wanted to do first. And I know he wants to do the rest of the Batman films too.

Rumors also have the possibility of Goldsmith's Star Trek TMP and Star Trek V coming from LaLaLand this year.

I think we will see these releases but if anyone is going to do them it will probably be FSM.

For continuity with covers and the label it would be nice, but I don't want to keep waiting for each spring / summer to see a Trek score get released. :lol:

I just died and went to heaven. SPEED 2! YES!!!

One more holy grail crossed off the list, right after Brave Little Toaster.

Never seen or heard the music for The Edge, but I'll buy that one up as well. :lol:

MV *has* confirmed that they are releasing an Elfman title this year. Throwing Batman 1 & 2 to the side for the moment, what other possibilities are there?

Perhaps a complete Pee-Wee's Big Adventure? That's one of my grails, though between the foot warmer I've enjoyed for ten years and the DVD iso score, which dials out in some sections, I probably have enough of it.

MV concerning Speed 2:

Simply put its nearly the complete score. 14 tracks, but long ones (about 71 minutes of score).

The producers of the project felt this was the best way to present the music. It's a fantastic listen from beginning to end. A unique opportunity was presented -- The film itself was such a mess. Mr Manicina's score as recorded was chopped up all over the place. This version restores what Mr Mancina originally recorded. The album was culled together by all his cues (a lot longer than they appear in the final film).

I'm certain this release will upset some. That is inevitable, but we strive to bring the best possible presentation to all of releases. Like it or not, this is what it is and I for one am grateful to have an official release of this fantastic score!

MV

At this pace my CD shelf will soon feature nothing but music from all the specialty labels. :lol:

And that would be bad? ;)

Like FSM's release of Outland, I'd pick The Edge up if I had money to spare right now, all the Trek releases have sucked it all up. If it's still around down the road I'll get it.

Woah! Now in addition to teasing Die Hard, he's teasing an expanded Speed 1!

Concerning Speed 2...has there ever been a redone Speed by any label (and I missed it) or is just the original out there?
Not yet. wink.gif

MV

I'm on the fence about Speed 2, but I wouldn't buy the original. Has maybe 4 or 5 tracks I like.

I'd prefer something like Twister. There are a few cool cues missing, plus the final sequence with the F5 cuts out quite a bit of stuff on the OST.

Funny you mention Twister, because MV just stated on the FSM boards a few minutes ago that he wants to release a complete Twister, but there are legal entanglements preventing anyone from doing so.

I'd guess it relates to the Van Halen stuff

Ya there had been talks from a couple of years ago that MV wanted to release Twister but it wouldn't surprise me if there are entanglements from holding that one up.

I'm still on the fence in regards to get Speed 2.

As far as a Die Hard box...if LLL releases a complete version of the first Die Hard score (with better sound and complete!) and an expanded Die Hard 2 and Die Hard 3, I'll be down for that for sure!

Funny you mention Twister, because MV just stated on the FSM boards a few minutes ago that he wants to release a complete Twister, but there are legal entanglements preventing anyone from doing so.

I'd guess it relates to the Van Halen stuff

Booooo.

Well they said Honey I Shrunk.... would never come out, and it did, so there's hope and at least MV's trying :lol:

I'm still on the fence in regards to get Speed 2.

Me too. I do like some of the action sequences, but a lot of the rest is either very Caribbean or not particularly interesting twangy underscore. I'll have to give the promo more listens.

Funny thing is, when everyone became so sure that Speed 2 was one of the releases, my heart sank a little, but then something in the back of my mind was saying 'you know, there's always the possibility that the other release is from the 90s too...'.

I've wanted a complete The Edge for quite some time and I know the unreleased material very well, so this is definitely my first real grail.

I still have my Twister CD, won't give that one up. It was a pain in the ass to track down a copy of that one. It wouldn't surprise me if the Van Halen stuff is what is holding up a complete release for that.

If LLL does do a complete release for Twister at some point I for sure would pick it up. I mean grant not very much is missing from the actual score, but I'd love to have it full complete (especially for "Wheat Field") and the channels properly swapped (they're mixed incorrectly on the album).

There's surprising support for it, but I'm having a hard time getting excited about Speed 2. Someone convince me of its greatness.

ROTFLMAO

I'm funny with some of these releases. It's always exciting to get swept up and discover something you never knew you could love. So, in a way, I'd like to fall in love with Speed 2, but the youtube clips haven't ignited for me yet.

If you don't like "Fox Fanfare / Main Title", "Evacuation", and "Crashing Into The Island", then I guess this release isn't for you

I'm going to listen to the clips for SPEED 2 but I'm not a fan of what I've heard of Mancina. BAD BOYS is awful.

THE EDGE is essential, I just hope I can get in there before it sells out.

Speed 2 is closer to Twister than Speed 1 or Bad Boys

At 3500 units, The Edge should be around for a little while

Regarding The Edge, I just took a look at my DVD and looked for any music I could find that isn't in my expanded dvd-rip which is 53 mins long. I found one minor (< 1 min) cue that I must've missed when selecting material, and I shaved off a few starts/ends of cues where sfx became distracting, but at 'more than 65 mins', it looks like LLL's set will have the full score plus 10 mins of either unused or alternate cues. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the former, as there are vast unscored areas in the final film.

I just hope they've combined miniscule 'cue-ettes' such as the final brass outburst at the end of the sandwich-making scene. I'd hate to lose that little morsel.

Bring on the tracklist and cover ROTFLMAO

Nice! I'll be getting both. They go up for order on the 15th right, cause I can't see them on the main page?

Yep, that's right.

Speed 2 is closer to Twister than Speed 1 or Bad Boys

At 3500 units, The Edge should be around for a little while

Not sure about that, it lacks the Americana and choir that makes me love Twister so much. If I had to make a decision on the spot now, I'd decline Speed 2, but it deserves at least another full listen.

3500 is a strange amount - I wonder why not 3000? Limit of the deal they managed to get maybe?

I'm probably going to get The Edge. I love the score and I'm in dire need of more Goldsmith.

3500 is a strange amount - I wonder why not 3000? Limit of the deal they managed to get maybe?

A while agon La-La Land announced that they had closed a deal with Sony Special Products to release several titles. Part of the deal is that all these releases have 3500 copies. The Edge is one of the titles which is part of the deal.

I hope that Mr. Atlas lingers until next week so I can place an order for it as well as The Edge, and maybe Speed 2 as well. I, um, "found" The Edge OST online but only listened to 3/4 of it while I was watching baseball and keying in MIDI, so I really appreciate the chance to own an expanded version.

I've actually never heard the Edge. Any other Goldsmith scores similar in flavor?

You know I can't think of anything similar during that time period. There are some "Goldsmithisms" throughout the score but it's one of his better efforts from the 90's.

A while agon La-La Land announced that they had closed a deal with Sony Special Products to release several titles. Part of the deal is that all these releases have 3500 copies. The Edge is one of the titles which is part of the deal.

Not necessarily. Independence Day is also Sony Special Products and that was limited to 5000 copies.

I believe La-La Land sets the number of copies to be pressed based on what they believe demand for those soundtracks will be.

The Edge (film) was released thru 20th Century Fox. I forgot the original album was released under BMG / RCA.

I believe MV mentioned that you might see different quantities from Sony that ranged from 3500 to 5000.

Also keep in mind when MV posted which Star Trek score belonged to which label, he stressed "Sony, Paramount, Sony, Paramount mommy make it stop!" for Star Trek The Motion Picture....so surely that is an indication that they're working on it.

The album for Die Hard: With a Vengeance was also released by BMG/RCA, and the film is 20th Century Fox.

:(

I really really hope LLL can release Die Hard 3, its a total holy grail of mine.

Back in the day, i recorded the bank robbery and the finale/end credits off the VHS tape onto an audio cassette, which also had other random things like that on there (Predator main titles, The Abyss SE end credits, The Goonies opening titles, Stargate end titles, )... Predator and The Gooneis have since been released, I hope DH3 is next!

If LLL does do a Die Hard box set I would buy that in a heart beat. It would also be nice if for the first Die Hard it would have a lot better sound than Varèse' release.

The best thing Mark Mancina has composed is that scene in Twister where the truck drives by the crop fields. You know, the first scene with Bill Paxton's sexy red Dodge truck that felt like a commercial. Elicited a rare "wow" from me. The Speed theme is a guilty pleasure, but other than that...

I just listened to the Speed 2 intro and it's awful. Ugh.

Yeah, I'm really on the fence about Speed 2. I wonder if LLL will be doing a deal to buy the two releases. I don't mind Mancina, but I'm really not a fan of calypso-flavoured music.

Edit: OK, I think I'm on board for Speed 2 - the track Tuneman from the promo has swayed my thinking.