The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Now that you mention that, in ubeda they mentioned, i think it was tadlow's producer (james fitzpatrick) that the only composers to have the 100% of their rights (and therefore making re-recordings easy to come by) were Mancini and Rozsa. He mentioned that not even john Williams has his full rights.

Interesting!

Plus it included the full 13 minute final battle alternate, which the LLL version only gives us a snippet of. It's still a decent presentation of the score.

Too be fair the "alternate" for "Mutha Ship" is on the LLL set. The alternate versions for "Virus Uploaded" and "The Day We Fight Back" are on LLL's set on Disc 2. :)

WITH the boot, that CD becomes effectively worthless, because it's already out there and more complete. So because of 1 missing track, one bad take, or whatever the issue is, an otherwise good release suffers.

"Ghostbusters" -- missing about six and-a-half minutes of score on the boot (and also both the boot and official are missing score from the film), release by Varese Club: SOLD OUT

"Predator" -- only one extra track than the boot (as I have read), but still missing a cue or two, released by Varese Club: SOLD OUT

"The Sandlot" -- missing half the score on the bootleg (both still missing score from the film), released by Varese Club: SOLD OUT

"Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" -- duplicate of the promo(?) contents, released by Intrada Records: nearly sold out

"Top Secret!" -- again, as I recall only half the length of the bootleg, release by Varese Club: SOLD OUT

"Making the Grade -- half the contents of the bootleg, Varese Club again: SOLD OUT

"An Unmarried Woman" -- 2CD bootleg, Intrada Records releases some of the score and shares the CD with another score: SOLD OUT

That's off the top of my head with some quick fact checking.

thedavenport,

These examples tell me one of two things about each buyer:

- There are many who don't have the boot.

- There are many who DO have the boot, but decided to obtain it legitimately.

Regardless of selling out, it's still possible, and IMHO likely, that there are many who have the Boot who did NOT purchase the legitimate release.

No statistic in the world can reliably produce a count.

Many of the limited editions sold out because they were limited.

But again, The Matrix is an example of a commonly available footwarmer clearly interfering with sales as I've described.

thedavenport,

Regardless of selling out, it's still possible, and IMHO likely, that there are many who have the Boot who did NOT purchase the legitimate release.

But again, The Matrix is an example of a commonly available footwarmer clearly interfering with sales as I've described.

But where is your proof that it interfered with sales? You keep emphasizing this as if it's fact, but give nothing but speculation.

My theory for The Matrix not selling is because I don't think it's that good, and I've never seen people clamouring for it the way they did for ID4, to use one example. I've never even seen the boot offered or requested.

Charlie, you are correct, I have no stats either way, but an opinion was stated that The Matrix DE was not selling due to the fact that it was missing tracks.

It betrays common sense to believe that someone with a boot of the complete score, and no moral center, would somehow decide to obtain the official release.

thedavenport,

Yes, but it does also imply the same can be said for your arguement, so why are we even having it?

Your bone of contention seems to be illegal releases, when it comes down to it, so the number of people who have it and bought the legite version, is rather inconsequential, as all but one in my list example SOLD OUT. The legal version happened, sold out, and the money was made where possible. I say "where possible" because some composers have passed on, and many -- if not all (for anything pre-1980's) -- of the musicians have passed on, too.

It betrays common sense to believe that someone with a boot of the complete score, and no moral center, would somehow decide to obtain the official release.

I have a recent example of me doing that very thing with "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" (though, to be fair, I have a moral center).

You have to consider two issues even when both the boot and official contain the same contents:

1. The mix may be different (which may or may not bring up certain instruments you have wanted up before, or even have stuff "sweetened" in the new mix)

2. You are financially supposrting a label who will release stuff in the future that is superior to it's bootleg conterparts, or where there IS NO bootleg counterpart.

tharpdevenport,

My bone if contention is with the following:

- Those who obtain a footwarmer, and not getting the official release.

That's it !!!! Nothing more. :cool:

I have a recent example of me doing that very thing with "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" (though, to be fair, I have a moral center).

You have to consider two issues even when both the boot and official contain the same contents:

1. The mix may be different (which may or may not bring up certain instruments you have wanted up before, or even have stuff "sweetened" in the new mix)

2. You are financially supposrting a label who will release stuff in the future that is superior to it's bootleg conterparts, or where there IS NO bootleg counterpart.

1. Irrelevent to the morality here.

2. That's a good thing. :)

But if I get the Bootleg, but not the official release: My issue :)

If you got the boot of Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, but have not obtained the official release, then your moral center has betrayed you.

And again, I believe the biggest reason for that is how incomplete the official release is. I've seen the promos for all 3 scores and they seem to be widespread.

I really think that had it been the complete score, it would've sold a lot better because people would see little reason to keep the boot.

I really think that had it been the complete score, it would've sold a lot better.

I feel the same way and the same goes for the "Deluxe Edition" of Stargate.

I read on Wiki that Stargate was recorded in London so Varèse didn't have to worry about reuse fees. Why the hell they didn't make it a 2-CD set like it should have been is beyond me. The Matrix though clearly should have been 2-CD's.

And again, I believe the biggest reason for that is how incomplete the official release is. I've seen the promos for all 3 scores and they seem to be widespread.

I really think that had it been the complete score, it would've sold a lot better because people would see little reason to keep the boot.

You're right. But of course, that is how complete compared to what is out there. Footwarmer has more, right?

I have no issue with having both, since once one has purchased the DE, then the footwarmer simply fills the gaps.

You're right. But of course, that is how complete compared to what is out there. Footwarmer has more, right?

Yes the foot-warmer, which is the sessions has a lot more and NO EDITS at all in any of the cues either.

Yeah it's not just about missing cues. The DE is riddled with edits that the promo doesn't have. According to Trent's analysis here there are 16 cues that are either edited or not present - that gets a lot messier than 'filling in the gaps'. I would expect to have to fiddle to that extent with a 30 min OST, but not with a deluxe presentation. It should've been 2 discs. Plain and simple.

Trent, richuk,

Of course I agree with these comparative assessments. I ask (rhetorically), would someone pass on this release if you did not have the footwarmer?

I think we're going round in circles on this one, so I think we can leave it at that. :cool:

Finally received Speed 2: Cruise Control from MV. Unfortunately that was all in the package, when I had ordered that and The Edge. I think this was the second package he sent out, the first one being officially lost, and now a third one on the way which he sent out with tracking.

Finally received Speed 2: Cruise Control from MV. Unfortunately that was all in the package, when I had ordered that and The Edge. I think this was the second package he sent out, the first one being officially lost, and now a third one on the way which he sent out with tracking.

Was it sent that way or did someone open it?

I had a similar problem last December, a package got lost / delayed. LaLaLand was kind enough to resend the package (not once but twice by mistake :lol: ). The first one eventually arrived but it had been opened, although nothing was taken.

Trent, richuk,

Of course I agree with these comparative assessments. I ask (rhetorically), would someone pass on this release if you did not have the footwarmer?

I think we're going round in circles on this one, so I think we can leave it at that. :)

For me personally, if I did not know foot-warmers existed at all, I most likely would have still gotten it.

Plus it included the full 13 minute final battle alternate, which the LLL version only gives us a snippet of. It's still a decent presentation of the score.

Too be fair the "alternate" for "Mutha Ship" is on the LLL set. The alternate versions for "Virus Uploaded" and "The Day We Fight Back" are on LLL's set on Disc 2. :P

Ah sorry. I still like it being one single track though. ;)

Wow!

According to an FSM poster, La La Land had a SECRET title they did not announce ahead of time, but are selling at Comic Con:

A single disc CD, limited to 2,000 copies, of Mark Snow's music to The Lone Gunmen and Harsh Realm!

Cool!

Bear McCreary's blog confirms La La Land's upcoming 3disc "Human Target" set, and given more details about it:

http://www.bearmccre...om/blog/?p=4354

Seems like an interesting collaboration between La La and Water Tower Records, which can probably only lead to good things down the road (hopefully more B:TAS music, etc)

A digital download and a physical release that has a tad more music than the download. Can't get any better than that.

Very cool pictures of La La Land's Comic Con booth:

3-2.jpg

12-1.jpg

5-2.jpg

1-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

The green shirt is MV Gerhard; The red shirt is Neil S. Bulk.

Wait a minute, first Neil was showing up on Varèse credits, then he was editing for FSM, and now he's behind the counter at LaLaLand?

I smell some not-so-covert corporate intelligence work here!

Wait a minute, first Neil was showing up on Varèse credits, then he was editing for FSM, and now he's behind the counter at LaLaLand?

I smell some not-so-covert corporate intelligence work here!

All those guys - Neil, Mike Matessino, etc - work as contractors, and could be hired by any label to work on a CD release.

Thanks for the pics Jason ROTFLMAO

Looking forward to your review OneBuckFilms. And yep I am counting the hours till 3pm (EST) Tues, 7/27 ;)

My first impressions of the Batman CD: Oh yeah !!!

The film mixes seem to have MUCH sharper percussion than the Album mixes. Great fun, and great remastering.

Awesome, definitely looking forward to it.

The official email is out, not that it contains anything new:

LA-LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS

NEW RELEASES: Tues, 12noon (PST) JULY 27, 2010

New Releases available for order at www.lalalandrecords.com

Tues, 12 noon (PST), July 27, 2010

"BATMAN (1989): LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET"

Music by Danny Elfman

"KRULL: LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET)"

Music by James Horner

"PREDATORS"

Music by John Debney

BATMAN (1989): LIMITED EDITION

BATMAN (1989): LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET) LLLCD 1140

Music by Danny Elfman

Limited Edition of 5000 Units

SHIPPING JULY 27

RETAIL PRICE $29.98

ORDER "BATMAN (1989): LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET)" ON JULY 27 at www.lalalandrecords.com

As part of our Expanded Archival Collection, La-La Land Records presents the world premiere release of the film version of Danny Elfman's acclaimed original score to the 1989 Warner Bros. blockbuster BATMAN, starring Jack Nicholson, Michael Keaton and Kim Basinger and directed by Tim Burton. With a running time of 144 minutes, this 2-CD SET, produced by Dan Goldwasser, Neil S. Bulk and MV Gerhard, and remastered by James Nelson, features the previously unreleased film version (mix/edit) of Mr. Elfman's score, as well as a remastered presentation of the 1989 soundtrack album and never-before-released Bonus Tracks. 20 Page CD Booklet features in-depth liner notes by Jeff Bond. Limited Edition of 5000 Units

ABOUT THIS RELEASE: In order to present as much music as possible from Batman in the best possible quality, multiple sources were utilized with the best-quality elements selected for each cue on an individual basis. For disc one and the bonus cues on disc two, three sources were used: Eric Tomlinson's 35mm 4-track mixes, 1/4 inch stereo mixes and a stereo 35mm music only track. The album cues on disc two were sourced from the original digital album master featuring Shawn Murphy's stereo album mix.

TRACK LISTING:

Disc One: Original Score (film version)

1. Main Title* (2:42)

2. Family*/First Batman*/Roof Fight* (3:24)

3. Jack Vs. Eckhardt* (1:37)

4. Up Building*/Card Snap* (1:54)

5. Bat Zone*/Axis Set-Up* (1:55)

6. Shootout* (5:42)

7. Dinner Transition*/Kitchen Dinner* (**)/Surgery* (3:00)

8. Face–Off* (**)/Beddy Bye* (3:59)

9. Roasted Dude* (1:03)

10. Vicki Spies (Flowers)* (1:56)

11. Clown Attack* (1:59)

12. Photos*/Beautiful Dreamer* (***) (2:30)

13. Men At Work* (0:33)

14. Paper Spin*/Alicia's Mask* (0:30)

15. Vicki Gets A Gift* (1:13)

16. Alicia's Unmasking* (1:10)

17. Batman To The Rescue*/Batmobile Charge*/Street Fight* (4:25)

18. Descent Into Mystery* (1:33)

19. Bat Cave*/Paper Throw* (2:48)

20. The Joker's Poem* (0:59)

21. Sad Pictures* (0:38)

22. Dream*/Challenge*/Tender Bat Cave* (**) (4:28)

23. Charge Of The Batmobile* (1:43)

24. Joker Flies To Gotham (Unused)*/Batwing I* (0:31)

25. Batwing II*/Batwing III* (6:02)

26. Cathedral Chase* (5:07)

27. Waltz To The Death* (3:58)

28. Showdown I*/Showdown II* (5:05)

29. Finale* (**) (1:47)

30. End Credits* (1:29)

Disc One Total Time: 75:40

Disc Two: Original Soundtrack Album (remastered)

1. The Batman Theme (2:37)

2. Roof Fight (1:22)

3. First Confrontation (4:43)

4. Kitchen/Surgery/Face–Off** (3:09)

5. Flowers (1:51)

6. Clown Attack (1:46)

7. Batman To The Rescue (3:57)

8. Roasted Dude (1:02)

9. Photos/Beautiful Dreamer*** (2:31)

10. Descent Into Mystery (1:33)

11. The Bat Cave (2:35)

12. The Joker's Poem (0:59)

13. Childhood Remembered (2:43)

14. Love Theme** (1:30)

15. Charge Of The Batmobile (1:41)

16. Attack Of The Batwing (4:45)

17. Up The Cathedral (5:05)

18. Waltz To The Death (3:56)

19. The Final Confrontation (3:48)

20. Finale (**) (***) (1:46)

21. Batman Theme Reprise (1:31)

Bonus Cues:

22. News Theme* (0:11)

23. Joker's Commercial* (1:23)

24. Joker's Muzak (unused)* (1:15)

25. Main Title (alt 1)* (2:42)

26. Photos*/Beautiful Dreamer (alt)* (**) (2:33)

27. Batman To The Rescue (original ending)* (0:52)

28. Charge Of The Batmobile (film edit)* (1:47)

29. Main Title (alt 2)* (2:47)

Disc Two Total Time: 68:20

Total Running Time: 144:00

* Previously unreleased

** includes "Scandalous" composed by Prince with John L. Nelson

*** includes "Beautiful Dreamer" composed by Stephen Foster

KRULL: LIMITED EDITION

KRULL: LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET) LLLCD 1143

Music by James Horner

Limited Edition of 3000 Units

SHIPPING JULY 27

SPECIAL SALE PRICE: $19.98

ORDER "KRULL: LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET)" on July 27 at www.lalalandrecords.com and get it a special price of $19.98. For a limited time.

Presenting James Horner's newly remastered motion picture score to the 1983 Columbia Pictures sci-fi/adventure/fantasy KRULL, starring Ken Marshall, Lysette Anthony and Liam Nesson and directed by Peter Yates. Previously out of print, this 2-Disc re-issue of one of Mr. Horner's most striking film scores is produced by Ford A. Thaxton and remastered by James Nelson, and features bonus tracks. 16 Page CD Booklet features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by Jeff Bond. Limited Edition of 3000 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC ONE:

1. Main Title And Colwyn's Arrival (7:34)

2. The Slayers Attack (9:18)

3. Quest For The Glaive (7:23)

4. Ride To The Waterfall (0:53)

5. Lyssa In The Fortress (1:28)

6. The Walk To The Seer's Cave (4:10)

7. The Seer's Vision (2:18)

8. The Battle In The Swamp (2:39)

9. Quicksand (3:38)

10. The Changeling (4:04)

11. Leaving The Swamp (1:58)

Total Time - Disc One: 45:23

DISC TWO:

1. Vella (3:46)

2. The Widow's Web (6:18)

3. The Widow's Lullaby (5:01)

4. Ynyr's Death (1:41)

5. Ride Of The Firemares (5:22)

6. Battle On The Parapets (2:53)

7. Inside The Black Fortress (6:13)

8. The Death Of The Beast And The

Destruction Of The Black Fortress (8:31)

9. Epilogue And End Title (4:52)

BONUS CUES:

10. Colwyn And Lyssa Love Theme (2:35)

11. The Walk To The Seer's Cave

(Album Edit) (2:16)

12. Theme From Krull (4:48)

Total Time - Disc Two: 54:16

Total Running Time: 99:39

PREDATORS

PREDATORS LLLCD 1141

Music by John Debney

SHIPPING JULY 27

RETAIL PRICE $15.98

ORDER "PREDATORS" on July 27 and get your CD autographed by composer John Debney at no additional charge. Autographs are while supplies last and are not guaranteed. For a limited time.

Presenting the original motion picture score to the blockbuster 20th Century Fox sci-fi/action feature film PREDATORS, starring Adrien Brody, Laurence Fishburne, Danny Trejo and Topher Grace, directed by Nimrod Antal and produced by Robert Rodriguez (SIN CITY, DESPERADO, PLANET TERROR, MACHETE). Acclaimed composer John Debney (IRON MAN 2, PASSION OF THE CHRIST, SIN CITY, THE RELIC), ratchets up all the action and suspense of this latest hit installment of the legendary PREDATOR franchise with a propulsive orchestral score that skillfully incorporates Alan Silvestri's iconic themes from the original film. CD Booklet features exclusive art and liner notes from film writer Daniel Schweiger, composer Debney, producer Rodriguez and director Antal.

TRACK LISTING

1. Free Fall* 3:06

2. Single Shooter* 2:08

3. This Is Hell* 4:10

4. Cages/Trip-wire 3:51

5. Not Of This Earth 2:50

6. Hound Attack 4:08

7. We Run We Die 4:39

8. Predator Attack* 1:46

9. Meet Mr. Black 1:15

10. They See Our Traps* 2:26

11. Over Here 2:24

12. Smoke* 2:38

13. Nikolai Blows* 2:10

14. Stans' Last Stand 1:49

15. Hanzo's Last Stand* 3:08

16. Leg Trap 2:22

17. Take Me To The Ship 2:04

18. Edwin and Isabelle Captured* 1:33

19. Predator Fight, Royce Runs 3:15

20. Twisted Edwin/Royce Returns 3:25

21. She's Paralyzed* 6:05

22. Royce vs. Predator 2:39

23. Let's Get Off This Planet 3:01

24. Theme From Predator* 1:45

Total Time 68:37

*Contains The Original Theme From PREDATOR

Composed by Alan Silvestri

To celebrate the release of BATMAN

To celebrate the release of BATMAN, we're offering Shirley Walker's spectacular THE FLASH (2CD-SET), featuring Danny Elfman's main theme, at a special sale price of only $19.98. For a limited time. Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

Still no word on when The Lone Gunmen / Harsh Healm will go up for sale

A few more thoughts on Batman:

I can tell that the cues are from different sources, as there is a variation in the amount of hiss for each cue.

The film versions of the cues have a wide stereo field, and the mix on many cues is decidedly different from the album (Descent Into Mystery is a great example, wheren the Choir is far less emphasised, with less piano, and the Main Titles have far more up front and immediate percussion, which I like more than the Album mix).

The liner notes are fairly detailed, with a cue-by-cue breakdown, and there is a fun surprise tagged onto Main Title (Alt 2) that fits the dark, slightly absurd and humorously subversive nature of the score and film.