The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Why the need for another LLL Commando?

Was anything missing in the previous release?

By the way, I wonder what is the 1350 release.

I can't think of anything more important than John Williams right now. :lol:

Why the need for another LLL Commando?

Was anything missing in the previous release?

Its not further expanded; It's a re-issue because the 3,000 copies of the prior version sold out. Same reason as re-issuing 1941 after those 3,000 copies sold out.

The weird thing is, I got a secondhand copy of the LLL release a few years ago for like $10-15. So while it sold out quickly, it certainly isn't blowing up the aftermarket.

Unfortunately, this is why session leaks will almost always be the best way to get a score.

Rubbish

Anything more to add to that?

Name one session leak that is actually listenable without any editorial buggeration.

It went pretty fast, didn't it?

No idea why - it's dire!

Let's speculate on the DELAYED titles!

LLLCD1328

Not mentioned by MV, but this catalog number hasn't come out yet either!

EDIT: 1328 is for The Firm.

LLLCD 1331 - waiting on actor approval of image (a pet project of mine)

So it's live action, not animated, and a pet project of MV...... something with a monkey in it? An 80s movie he loves?

LLLCD 1333 - waiting on studio approval (Golden Age Classic)

I think MV has already said or strongly hinted on FSM which Golden Age title is coming up, but I could be misremembering. I don't really follow any Golden Age discussion, honestly.

LLLCD 1335 - waiting on production company approval (even though we have the record label and studio singed off on this one). Missed the anniversary last year. Very frustrating.

Oh boy. Lots of possibilities! Only going back 35 years, the anniversaries for 2014 would be:

1979 - Amityville Horror, Dracula, Mad Max
1984 - Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters, Romancing The Stone, Starman, Supergirl, Temple of Doom, The Terminator
1989 - Always, Back To The Future II, Born on the Fourth of July, Glory, Honey I Shrunk The Kids, Ghostbusters II, Last Crusade
1994 - Drop Zone, Forrest Gump, Interview with the Vampire, The Jungle Book, The Pagemaster, The Shawshank Redemption, Stargate, True Lies
1999 - The 13th Warrior, American Beauty, Angela's Ashes, Bicentennial Man, Chill Factor, Fight Club, The Green Mile, The Iron Giant, The Matrix, The Mummy, Mystery Men, The Sixth Sense, Sleepy Hollow, Stuart Little, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Thin Red Line, Wing Commander
2004 - Alexander, Harry Potter 3, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, The Terminal, Troy, Van Helsing
2009 - Angels & Demons, Avatar, Battle for Terra, Drag Me To Hell, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Fast & Furious 4, GI Joe 1, Sherlock Holmes, Terminator 4, Transformers 2, Twilight 2

LLLCD 1350 - waiting on actor/director/producer approval, then studio and record company approval. MEGA HUGE IMPORTANT RELEASE!!!!!

Is this the 10CD Lost In Space box set?

LLLCD 1353 - waiting on studio approval (JW release)

No comment.

I'm hoping that the anniversary release is the potential Ghostbusters/GB2 release that MV had hinted at once upon a time. Ghostbusters was definitely the movie that made the biggest deal last year about celebrating an anniversary, at any rate.

There are a handful in Jason's list that look like winners to me, though. I'd buy Temple of Doom//Last Crusade/HP3/Terminal (although they seem unlikely given the specific Williams reference in the next one), BTTF2, The Mummy, Sleepy Hollow. I'd even consider buying a complete The Matrix, although I'm satisfied with the Varese release TBH. It would likely just be for completist reasons.

Update: MV let me know that 1328 is The Firm, so scratch that one off the speculation list.

Boy, such an old catalog number means it was pretty long delayed! The other 1320's catalog numbers came out from September to December 2014.

From the FSM thread

X Files 3 will hopefully be out this Fall

As for Ghostbusters it's a bust for us. We tried our hardest though

Maybe someday they will come out

MV

By the way MV, do you have any Michael Kamen planned for this year? :)

I hope. lol

MV

Can't you read?

From the FSM thread

The link to the FSM thread was posted here:

If you're also incapable of scrolling up.

~~

I just had a thought about this title:

LLLCD 1350 - waiting on actor/director/producer approval, then studio and record company approval. MEGA HUGE IMPORTANT RELEASE!!!!!

Could he mean that the actor/director/producer is one and the same person? Or would 3 different people who worked on the film have to approve an expanded release of that film's score?

Why would an actor have to approve an expanded release of a film score? No, I think you're right, they're probably one and the same.

Actors have had to approve expanded releases before - Remember when Bad Boys came out without Will Smith or Martin Lawrence on the cover... or when Kevin Costner had to approve Wyatt Earp before it would come out.... or just mentioned today that MV is waiting on an actor to approve LLLCD1331?

BUT - if the entities are one and the same person... then what actor/director/producer made a film whose score was either never released, or was released but (I assume) never previously expanded - and would make MV say the new release is a "MEGA HUGE IMPORTANT RELEASE!!!!!" ?

BUT - if the entities are one and the same person... then what actor/director/producer made a film whose score was either never released, or was released but (I assume) never previously expanded - and would make MV say the new release is a "MEGA HUGE IMPORTANT RELEASE!!!!!" ?

Braveheart? :D

It's the 20th anniversary too!

Although there is the More music from Breaveheart cd (but i don't know if it's really more music from Braveheart)

And i'm sure they wouldn't call it a Mega Huge important release.

Why would an actor have to approve an expanded release of a film score? No, I think you're right, they're probably one and the same.

Actors have had to approve expanded releases before - Remember when Bad Boys came out without Will Smith or Martin Lawrence on the cover... or when Kevin Costner had to approve Wyatt Earp before it would come out.... or just mentioned today that MV is waiting on an actor to approve LLLCD1331?

To be fair Costner was also producer on Wyatt Earp. Same situation with Tom Cruise and the releases for his films.

I don't think the anniversary title will be The Matrix (sadly) as Varese still own publishing rights IIRC. I'm personally hoping for The Mummy - it's one of my favourite Goldsmith scores.

Although there is the More music from Breaveheart cd (but i don't know if it's really more music from Braveheart)

Far from it.

This album contains like 4 tracks tops with music from the actual score that wasn't on the original release. The rest was dialogue-only tracks, traditional Scottish music, or music that was on the previous OST, but this time with dialogue over it. Fantastic, isn't it?

Braveheart? :D

It's the 20th anniversary too!

While i'm cool on some facets of this score, i'd buy that for the film version of the love of a princess-montage alone.

But what could be labelled a mega important release nowadays? A big tv box set?

Far from it.

This album contains like 4 tracks tops with music that wasn't on the original release. The rest was dialogue-only tracks, traditional Scottish music, or music that was on the previous OST, but this time with dialogue over it. Fantastic, isn't it?

From faint memory i'd say there remain 30 minutes of music unreleased, some of them interesting (there was a huge battering ram/call to war scene i remember), some of them droning synth stuff but it would break the monotonous repetition of the love theme.

There is only one proper love theme that is repeated ad nauseam with little variation on the first half of the soundtrack - that for Murron and Wallace. But variation of his themes was never Horner's thing after learning a trick or two from John Barry after DWW.

What about Dances with Wolves?

Is the expanded cd complete?

It is an Oscar Awarded score and it's its 25th anniversary.

Although still I wouldn't think they would call just an addition of a couple of cues HUGE.

The cover of the expanded release from 2004 touts that it is the complete score but Burlingame says in his liner notes that Barry ultimately wrote over 100 minutes of music for the film. So go figure.

It's complete enough for me. I've never seen the movie so I have nothing to compare it to.

Yup. I basically wanted the complete opening and the film version of the Buffalo Hunt and the Sony release has both. Good enough for me.

It's complete enough for me. I've never seen the movie so I have nothing to compare it to.

I think you should see it ASAP.

It's one of my favourite movies and I'm curious to see what you think of it.

When I think of a film that calms me, it's this.

I'd suggest you see the theatrical cut.

I also think it's what Costner prefers.

Wojo, I think you and your fiancee would like Dances With Wolves. It's a good film. Watch the theatrical cut, not the director's cut for your first time.

Regarding LLLCD 1335, I would like to add 1979's Apocalypse Now to the list of candidates, but it was produced by American Zoetrope, and Intrada probably already has a relationship with them since they released Black Stallion

It's very likely that this release could be The Terminator, given Brad Fiedel's Facebook hints from last year; I would prefer Beverly Hills Cop, but MV previously mentioned that the original score was still tied up in legal red tape. Who knows, maybe they finally struck a deal with the various entities involved...

I thought about including Apocalypse Now in my original list, but didn't know if that film even had a lot of original score in it

I thought about including Apocalypse Now in my original list, but didn't know if that film even had a lot of original score in it

It does. We're missing the film versions of certain album tracks, additional variations of the "Dossier" theme, the "Colby" cue, the cue heard when Kurtz reads T.S. Eliot, and the end credits music.

Ah, cool. I wonder if a label's ever considered doing that one. I wonder if it would sell well?