The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

1 hour ago, Pellaeon said:

What does it mean E.T. is temporarily out of stock? Do they not actually manufacture the full run of 5,000 all at once?

Correct, they are licensed a set amount and print batches at a time, and have to manufacture more when that run sells out. Doesn’t make business sense to sit on 5,000 copies of something that might not sell out. 

I have the box, and I like all 4 movies.

In fact, I thunk anyone who love the series should get all 4 score, it is complete, presenting all the music.

Since the are no new music in the release, it will be a pass to me.

If you only want some good music, as good as the first one, it is still a must have.

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

Have you ever heard Superman IV?

Karol

The original is enough for me. I’m not *that* big a fan of it anyway. Might be my least favourite JW score from the second half of the 70s.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

The original is enough for me. I’m not *that* big a fan of it anyway. Might be my least favourite JW score from the second half of the 70s.

At least give it a try. It's fun. Major highlight of the Blue Box.

Karol

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

So you prefer The Missouri Breaks over Superman? :sarcasm:

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

If this forebodes the re-release of the original Superman by JW I am a bit miffed as I probably would not have bought the Blue Box if I had know these were in the works. Superman 1 and 4 are the scores I really appreciate from the boxed set.

And since this new release of the Quest for Peace doesn't have anything new on it, I'll pass.

I just have the Warner Archives edition from 2000. Will I need the La-La Land edition then?

Just Superman on Black Friday would be a little disappointing. There are more substantial releases to spend one's money on.

59 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So you prefer The Missouri Breaks over Superman? :sarcasm:

I forgot about that one. 

Yeah, I prefer Superman to that. 

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

I just have the Warner Archives edition from 2000. Will I need the La-La Land edition then?

Just Superman on Black Friday would be a little disappointing. There are more substantial releases to spend one's money on.

There is a substantial sound difference between Rhino and Blue Box. And that came out 10 years ago. Mike Matessino hinted at the brand new restoration quite recently and that would benefit from the latest technology. So I would definitely consider upgrading when it comes out. Hell, I've got both and still considering it!

Karol

18 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

What does it mean E.T. is temporarily out of stock? Do they not actually manufacture the full run of 5,000 all at once?

I e-mailed LLL last week and they advised that it should be back in stock in about one month.

• 5 weeks later...

Rio is the same master as the Kritzerland release. It's tossed on the release as a bonus. 

Rifles sounds as good as its gonna get. Both stereo and mono tracks.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=127160&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=317#bottom

I don't own either of the previous releases for the Goldsmiths so it looks fantastic to me as a twofer.  Expanding my Goldsmith collection slowly but surely.  Love the other scores I already have of his from the latter-half-of-the-60s period (Blue Max, Sand Pebbles, and POTA)

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

I already got the Kritzerland Rio Conchos.

That's why LLL described it as a "bonus" on this release...I suspect the price tag will be only $20, like some other Fox twofer reissues of theirs (i.e. their release with both Miracle on 34th St. scores). Even if it's $25, it'd be very much worth it for a superior sounding 100 Rifles...and they described this as "restored, remixed, remastered" so I have high hopes for greatly improved sound quality.

And though I also have the Kritzerland Rio Conchos of course, it was a very fast sell out at only 1000 copies, so I'm very glad they're making this amazing Mattesino restoration available again for folks who missed out. The new technological advances made since that early FSM release (which I'm still keeping for the superior liner notes, by the way) allowed him to restore all but three cues in stereo, and the sound quality is night and day.

Yavar

We try to have the cds in stock when they go up for sale, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Alien 3 HAD to hit April 26, so that's why we started taking orders then (it was also a perfect storm of hitting an exact release date AND UME changing manufacturing facilities that caused the massive delay)

On June 5, Jack the Bear will be in stock, but Crisis will most likely start shipping June 8 or June 11, due to a slight booklet credit setback that caused a 2 day delay in printing. Luckily, we caught it in before it went to print and crisis averted! (eh? eh? see what I did there?)

The Goldsmith twofer will be in stock and shipping June 19.

The other title is kinda frustrating...not because of the title itself (which some will find awesome, while others will think it's meh), but what it represents as a whole is what will get you guys drooling over. And until we can finalize a press release with the studio, we can't say anything about it. But trust me, the announcement is gonna be pretty special (and it should be considering it has taken 3 months just to finalize the the logo, the branding, the credits and the press release).

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=127160&forumID=1&archive=0

What could that be?

A fairly low-key release that also happens to be the first LLL release from that series/studio/company?

So maybe some nostalgia-y TV thing that portends bigger shows from that series (like My Little Pony giving way to a potential Transformers release or something).

Or a foot in the door with Disney (doubtful).

Right, it reads like some minor title from a studio or franchise that has other, more exciting titles that could be coming once this one's out.  Hmmm.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

People who don't like Korngold or old recordings or both, and it could be one of his lesser titles.

He specifically mentioned dealing with the studio over the logo and press release, so it has more to do with some franchise of some kind, not a specific composer, and certainly not a dead one

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Maybe LLL made a deal with Varese to release something they have the rights to in-perp?  A long shot.  I'm just thinking outside of the box.

Oooh, that'd be great!

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Maybe LLL made a deal with Varese to release something they have the rights to in-perp?  A long shot.  I'm just thinking outside of the box.

Best theory I've seen yet!  Especially if it's one of a few Varese held titles I'm too embarrassed to admit are low-key grails for me.

Oh, just some scores I truly only care about as nostalgic souvenirs.  The kind of thing you're not supposed to admit to nowadays.  You must mask your nostalgia with justifications for why a score should be remembered!  Well I have none, sometimes I just want it for the basest of reasons.

I'll admit to none of them!

I can think of very little financial incentive for Varese to play ball with something like that.  I wouldn't get my hopes up too high - just a fun idea.

It would be amazing if the Varese guess is right...but of course Varese is not a studio, but a record label. That said, reading MV's clue carefully...I think it's possible that it *could* be a first non-Varese expansion of a Varese-owned score, and just by some coincidence there's *also* something tricky to be worked out with the film studio involved as well.

Jurassic Shark, I'm right there with you in your Korngold hoping. Years ago on the FSM board, MV had named Korngold as one of the Golden Age composers they were looking at for releases, but nothing since then (or since that great FSM twofer of Kings Row/The Sea Wolf). BUT recently MV did say that they at "at least one Golden Age box set" coming up!

Yavar

Yup, he said that just this past week actually (and that amazing Waxman box was Intrada, not LLL, BTW).

"A few answers...

No more Trek this year
No Batman titles
Williams' titles be coming...same with Horner, Goldsmith and Newman
ANNE FRANK not this year
At least one Golden Age set in the works
At least 3 LP releases coming 

Oh and in June we are revamping our entire website.

MV

MV, when you say ‘No Batman titles’ do yo mean for 2018?

Yes for 2018"

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=67395&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=78&r=912#bottom

Also, just to point out (even though I'm not a huge Steiner fan)...we got an AMAZING looking box set of his "dark side" from BYU/SAE: http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/35255/CAGED-THE-DARK-SIDE-OF-MAX-STEINER-3CD/

So it's a good time to be a Golden Age fan!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Which Newman is he talking about? Thomas?

With his comment about it not being Anne Frank right after, I'd bet Thomas' father, Alfred.

I might be wrong, always tricky when someone just says Newman

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

If only... :wub:

Hasn't Varese been bought by another company recently? Maybe they wanted it like that. ;)