The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Well, it is a JW forum, for those who haven't noticed. Not a Tolkien forum.

Regarding the 500th release, I'm guessing it's something from the early days of cinema, such as The Erich Wolfgang Korngold Swashbuckler Box.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

I do find it funny that anytime LLL says something big is coming, everyone on this forum assumes it must be John Williams related.  That doesn't happen on other forums!

I always like to assume it’s Child’s Play 2 because I’m hopeless. :D 

It's a bit of a doozy from my point of view. The biggest things I and most others can think of for this release are Star Wars and Indiana Jones, but because of the rights for the music it couldn't happen...supposedly. 

Now I'm not sure if Jay knows anything more than we do, and even if he did he's always going to play the "I don't know" card (see Harry Potter). Every time Jay reminds us that LLL couldn't release SW or IJ, I get this funny feeling like that's going to be exactly what we get.

Until Tuesday,

Jerry

Just now, crumbs said:

Have a bonus section on the spin-off films and video game scores. 

I'll bet twenty bucks that Giacchino's RO gets reverted to a brief footnote on the last page.

5 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'll bet twenty bucks that Giacchino's RO gets reverted to a brief footnote on the last page.

Williams gets his revenge by microediting that entire section from existence, other than an obligatory footnote.

"Mikey, baby, can you please delete any reference to that score from the index?

How about James Newton Howard's King Kong? Epic score, 3 discs, fits the "big" comment in obvious ways. No idea if that was an LA score though. December 05 falls under the new licence fees I believe. 

Session leak makes it a little unexciting I guess. 

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

LLL have only two Sony scores left in the pipeline. One of those??

Hook & Star Wars confirmed!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Regarding the 500th release, I'm guessing it's something from the early days of cinema, such as The Erich Wolfgang Korngold Swashbuckler Box.

That would be AMAZING.

22 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Regarding the 500th release, I'm guessing it's something from the early days of cinema, such as The Erich Wolfgang Korngold Swashbuckler Box.

That would be AMAZING.

In amazing tinny sound if they managed to salvage the original recordings!

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That would be AMAZING.

It certainly would, but very likely just wishful thinking... few soundtrack fans care about these oldies anymore.

48 minutes ago, Incanus said:

In amazing tinny sound if they managed to salvage the original recordings!

Haven't you heard the isolated score on the Robin Hood DVD & blu? The quality is good, definitely better than on the Tsunami release!

I've talked to various different boutique label guys about that one, and apparently there are complicated legal entanglements and it's very unlikely the score could be commercially released.  Perhaps if someone can get ahold of the sheets and re-record the whole thing would be more likely.

It's shocking a promo still hasn't leaked after all these years, I'd love to hear it

Yea an album presumably was assembled since the rejection and replacement happened so late, which is why it's shocking no one who might have gotten it has seen fit to share it with anyone else by now.  And so many of Horner's later recording sessions had leaks so it's kinda weird that never leaked either.  

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/10/16/james-horner-to-score-carlo-carleis-romeo-and-juliet/

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/recording-of-romeo-and-juliet/

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/06/04/sony-classical-to-release-james-horners-romeo-juliet-score/

As you can see it reunited Horner with Sissel, too

There's quotes from an FSM user who works as a projectionist and saw the film with Horner's score in it more than once:

From February, 2013:

Just screened this (I'm a Film projectionist) and heard Sneakers, Apollo 13 and The Pelican Brief everywhere in the score and it doesn't sound like the original scores cut into a temp track. Sounds like all new score, but heavily influenced by the above three. Weird! 

Horner recorded the score this past December, but it sounds so much like his mid-90's work.

I take it you don't buy a lot of Horner! ;)

Actually I do. Love the danger motif and hearing the 90's stuff in this was pleasing, but just weird. I'll likely get it when it comes out.

How many times did you hear the infamous Danger Motif?

Can't remember to be honest. What I do remember hearing was, if we were in an alternate universe, alternate versions of the cues "Too Many Secrets", "Four More Amps" and "Garage Chase", which I thought were one of the best cues for their films, but hearing it in R&J was just weird.

By the way, there's a lot more swashbuckling action in this version than in previous R&J adaptations, hence the 90's action Horner sound.

From June, 2013

Im currently running (for the third time this year) a screening of Romeo and Julliet in NYC. Its really cool (albeit weird) to hear James Horner reuse musical passages from Apollo 13, The Pelican Brief and Sneakers in this remake. Some people will not approve, but i really love the 90's sound. In case you asked, it wasn't a temp score. All new recording in the picture. Get ready for a cheesy end title song too.

I'd be very happy if Darby's Theme from The Pelican Brief is used, and maybe even expanded, in this score. That tune was gorgeous and hardly used over the course of the Pelican Brief.

No Darby's Theme. Just the garage chase danger motif from The Pelican Brief. You will hear a variation of Master Alarm from Apollo 13 in the opening tournament sequence and later in a chase sequence. The R&J Theme has Sneakers written all in it with hints of Braveheart and Glory. And what I heard was NOT a temp track.

It's pretty much the basis of Apollo 13's theme as well, but in a more streamlined way. It does get quoted almost verbatim (albeit briefly) in the Re-Entry & Splashdown cue, though.

The only peice of Apollo 13 reused here is the track "Master Alarm". The main Theme sounds more like parts of Sneakers and a hint of Braveheart.

From July, 2013 (when the rejection and replacement was announced)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Now a really dumb movie (which barely stood together if not for Horner), is truly dead in the water.

Given that the film is designed for the teenage girl audience and the score (as I heard in three preview screenings) is a mix of 90's Horner with a true emotional theme, it makes sense that they would throw out a score with anything close to a thematic and tonal sound in favor of the numbing emotionless we've come to expect these days.

Shame on you Swarovski Entertainment!

Any score recorded with union musicians in LA after the summer of 2005 have re-use fees so high the specialty labels probably can't afford them

I can’t reveal much about the missing pieces except to say that it’s effectively righting a, not a wrong per se, but rather giving overdue attention. 

I can say that LLL has nothing to do with it though. Sorry.

Now how about I vague it up a little more. 

But are those re-use fee rules set in stone? I mean, couldn't someone one day just decide they're good for nothing and do away with them? Or will all the labels go bankrupt after they've tackled everything pre-2005?

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's not true - the music can be licensed for other uses than a geeky soundtrack release.

Um, way to completely miss the point. We were specifically discussing the viability of LA-recorded soundtrack expansions post-2005, of which there appear to be 2 options:

a) expanded soundtrack release with reduced payments to union members, so the label can break-even financially

b) no expanded soundtrack and no payment for union members, because the release is financially unviable (a loss-leader)

I have no idea what argument you're attempting to muddy the discussion with, but it couldn't be more irrelevant to the topic at hand.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

But are those re-use fee rules set in stone? I mean, couldn't someone one day just decide they're good for nothing and do away with them? Or will all the labels go bankrupt after they've tackled everything pre-2005?

The music was recorded under that contract.  If some new financially permissive contract were negotiated in the future, it would only apply to future scores.