The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If he did visit me, it would be the best offer I've had in years.

As long as he brought a mask, sanitized his hands, and kept to the "2 metre" rule.

But isn't Dracula an undead? The virus wouldn't survive on his lifeless body.

Sorry, I'll commit myself to improve my jokes moving on. ;)

Who are the masters of great jokes here at JWFan? I need to study and analyze their jokes in order to improve my own.

16 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

When will they release the Elliot Goldenthal Batman Collection?

They won't and it's a tragedy. 😞

Karol

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

They won't and it's a tragedy. 😞

Karol

Care to elaborate? Does Goldenthal have an issue with expansions? He was happy to sign off on an Alien 3 expansion (with LLL no less).

Where's the holdup? Surely not at WB if they approved the Elfman Batman set.

On 9/26/2019 at 10:42 PM, Jay said:

Shortly after the film was released, there was considerable controversy as regards Tyler Bates's score. It was pointed out that Bates' music heavily borrowed from Elliot Goldenthal's score for Titus (1999). In particular, Bates' "Remember Us" is identical in parts to Goldenthal's "Finale", and "Returns a King" is very similar to "Victorius Titus". There was talk of an impending lawsuit, however, on 3rd August 2007, Warner Bros. Pictures acknowledged on the film's official website, "a number of the music cues for the score of 300 were, without our knowledge or participation, derived from music composed by Academy Award winning composer Elliot Goldenthal for the motion picture Titus. Warner Bros. Pictures has great respect for Elliot, our longtime collaborator, and is pleased to have amicably resolved this matter." As a result, the Blu-ray re-release, titled "300: The Ultimate Experience" features the note "Derived in Part from Preexisting Compositions Not Authored by Tyler Bates" beside the composers credit.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0416449/trivia

Didn't know that... so Goldenthal just has a beef with WB, not the labels? Or WB just don't want to deal with Goldenthal after the legal issues with Titus?

WB and Goldenthal don't get along, so no Goldenthal scores to WB films will be expanded while he's alive.  Batman Forever was approved before the lawsuit was finalized.

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Didn't even realise Batman Forever got expanded. So Batman & Robin is in purgatory?

Yeah it came out in January 2012 and sold out fairly quickly. It was missing a couple of non-essential bits and few tracks were presented iut of order. Goldenthal collection would be a perfect opportunity to have an upgraded complete presentation. Such a shame. These are absolutely terrific scores.

Karol

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Didn't even realise Batman Forever got expanded. So Batman & Robin is in purgatory?

On 9/27/2019 at 8:41 AM, Disco Stu said:

Yes, unfortunately for expansions, he was rather closely associated with them for a run of films in the 90s.

All WB:

Demolition Man

Interview with the Vampire

Cobb

Batman Forever

Heat

Michael Collins

A Time to Kill

The Butcher Boy

Batman & Robin

Sphere

Hopefully, Paramount will be happy to cooperate. They seem to be quite good with licensing these types of things. I mean, ST is the best represented franchise of all and tackled by many labels at the same time.

Karol

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The old Indiana Jones films are all owned by Paramount, Disney will potentially never be able to release their own physical editions of the film nor stream them on Disney+; They basically now control the IP meaning only they can make new movies or shows with the character, but they didn't obtain the distribution rights to the existing movies.

This is different than Star Wars, because George Lucas had a different deal with Fox for those than he did for Paramount with IJ.  So Disney gained the permanent rights to distribute Star Wars movies except ANH (because that one film had a different deal than all the others) when they bought Lucasfilm.  Of course Disney later bought Fox anyway so now they own all of Star Wars in its entirety, including all rights to all the scores.

With IJ, it's actually still unknown if Paramount would have to sign off on new expanded releases or not; The mechanical rights to release soundtracks now lies with Disney (if you look up any of the releases on digital stores, they are Copyright Lucasfilm and no longer copyright Concord Records), but the creation of a NEW expanded edition MIGHT require Paramount to sign off of music that hasn't been released before.  Additionally, the scoring masters all reside in the Paramount vaults, not the Disney vaults, so they'd definitely be involved in some capacity.  This is different from Star Wars, where all the scoring masters always existed in Lucasfilm vaults, never Fox vaults.

It's amazing how you can keep track of these absurd situations! Seems like having to do a second, unpaid job.

Heat is a little tricky. When I pointed out to MV that technically it's now a Fox title since they bought the domestic distribution rights, he responded that since Disney bought Fox, the rights to an expansion might fall within Intrada's territory. Or it could be stuck in that Fox/Disney limbo...

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 1.30.24 PM.png

On 9/27/2019 at 5:41 AM, Disco Stu said:

Yes, unfortunately for expansions, he was rather closely associated with them for a run of films in the 90s.

All WB:

Demolition Man

Interview with the Vampire

Cobb

Batman Forever

Heat

Michael Collins

A Time to Kill

The Butcher Boy

Batman & Robin

Sphere

Of these, ATtK and TBB are the only ones I haven't seen leak in any form, so it could be worse. Though a proper release of B&R would be great, since all of the currently available boots each have their share of issues.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

The old Indiana Jones films are all owned by Paramount, Disney will potentially never be able to release their own physical editions of the film nor stream them on Disney+; They basically now control the IP meaning only they can make new movies or shows with the character, but they didn't obtain the distribution rights to the existing movies.

This is different than Star Wars, because George Lucas had a different deal with Fox for those than he did for Paramount with IJ.  So Disney gained the permanent rights to distribute Star Wars movies except ANH (because that one film had a different deal than all the others) when they bought Lucasfilm.  Of course Disney later bought Fox anyway so now they own all of Star Wars in its entirety, including all rights to all the scores.

That's interesting. I kind of wonder if this is how Disney got to inherit the Paramount MCU films, by a deal in which the latter could keep the older Indy films and the former being able to get everything else that was shared between them.

The could be behind the scenes deals we're not privvy to as well. Maybe Paramount kept distribution rights for 20 years then they go to Disney or something.  Who knows.

The Paramount logo is an integral part of the openings, though, it's not something that can just be cut off like the Fox Fanfare with SW (which isn't good either, the Main Title was written to follow it), I sure as hell wouldn't give it up in Paramount's place.

I assume new Indiana Jones movies would open with the silent Lucasfilm logo, like the new SW movies do

It still bums me out that Disney didn't ask John Williams to compose a new Lucasfilm logo cue (that would end on the same key as the Star Wars main title opens with, like how the 20th Century Fox logo ends similarly

8 hours ago, Holko said:

The Paramount logo is an integral part of the openings, though, it's not something that can just be cut off like the Fox Fanfare with SW (which isn't good either, the Main Title was written to follow it), I sure as hell wouldn't give it up in Paramount's place.

Well the last one morphed into a prairie dog mound so it's no great loss IMO.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:14 PM, HunterTech said:

That's interesting. I kind of wonder if this is how Disney got to inherit the Paramount MCU films, by a deal in which the latter could keep the older Indy films and the former being able to get everything else that was shared between them.

Paramount's deal to distribute Marvel's first set of films just had them putting up P&A, as well as picking up a flat distribution fee. They never owned the copyrights, which made it easier for Disney to acquire the remaining rights.

Indiana Jones is more complicated. Paramount maintains rights to the first four films, but will have financial participation in Disney-produced sequels that are released.

I took the time to look through the catalog today, and picked up the most recent X-Files release at the discount.  I considered Titanic, but it was out of stock.  I think I've probably picked them clean of things I'm interested in at this point.

Apparently one more 4-disc set to mop it all up, according to MV.  I have to say that outside of some highlights, a lot of it blends together for me - but I do like listening to it.  The moodier stuff more than the actiony stuff.

I actually haven't even finished watching X-Files.  I got one or two episodes into the last season when it was airing and listed off towards something else.  I'll have to pick it back up.