Most films I have no desire to hear the score on its own. I'm selective as hell, and really, the ratio of boring scores vs interesting scores is probably staggering. Most of them bring no added value other than being merely functional, so I struggle to see any leisure value from them. Not to mention I tend to watch a movie every night, so I often feel like I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The last film I watched that made me want to rush out and buy the score was Silverado, and that was a few months ago.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not to mention that very significant milestone anniversary in 2021........   It's so obvious now!                          

If Potter isn't announced on Friday, I'm going to buy 30 bags of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Jelly Beans, go through them each assiduously picking out just the vomit flavored beans, and mail them to La

Holy crap guys, it's finally happening!!!1!  

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

You've got me all wrong. I simply find his claim that he listens to the scores to every film and show he watches to be far fetched. Unless he doesn't watch much.

I haven't watched a film in ages.

11 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Most films I have no desire to hear the score on its own. I'm selective as hell, and really, the ratio of boring scores vs interesting scores is probably staggering.

I feel the same.

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

You've got me all wrong. I simply find his claim that he listens to the scores to every film and show he watches to be far fetched. Unless he doesn't watch much.

I watch on average probably about 5 movies per week.  I get 3 hours of uninterrupted listening time every day while I work, during which time my kid is up for nap/downtime.  Assuming that each of those movies a) has music available and b) I haven't already heard/listened to it, I would be able to listen to them in half of my workweek or less.

Even then, I do have a pretty big backlog, since I like to listen to things at least twice, and I also listen to other music too. 

Right now, I have OSTs for Night at the Museum, Stuart Little, Spirited Away, Nanny McPhee, Crank, Bumblebee, Songbird, The Secret of Kells, The Boss Baby, and Love and Monsters sitting there waiting for me to pick them when the mood strikes.

Finances are definitely somewhat of a stumbling block. Some stuff is cheaper digitally than on CD.  Since I don't care about artwork (or condition beyond playable), for a lot of these, I can get  used CDs on eBay or Amazon for real cheap.  I'm not neurotic about it - if something is financially out of my range (for instance, recently the OST for Thumbelina which is going for something dumb like $50 used), I just don't listen to it. and that's fine

Why should stuff only be released if someone arbitrarily decides that it "deserves" a release? For that same reason, there are constant (and justified) complaints about score X not being released/expanded because executives at the company owning the rights have no interest in it. To paraphrase Tharkûn, many scores that are released don't deserve to be, and many that do aren't.

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Why should stuff only be released if someone arbitrarily decides that it "deserves" a release? For that same reason, there are constant (and justified) complaints about score X not being released/expanded because executives at the company owning the rights have no interest in it. To paraphrase Tharkûn, many scores that are released don't deserve to be, and many that do aren't.

Because not all film scores are equal. Duh.

Plus those of you claiming you listen to every score to every film you watch when possible, do you, like, ever see movies where the score never gave you that impulse? I'm just trying to wrap my head around the mentality that compels one to consume absolutely everything, because not everything is worth the effort for pursuit and seems like a gargantuan waste of time.

11 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Plus those of you claiming you listen to every score to every film you watch when possible, do you, like, ever see movies where the score never gave you that impulse?

Yep.

In those cases, I may see whether the score exists on Spotify afterwards just out of curiosity, to see whether it got a release, but if it didn't do anything for me in the film, I likely won't bother with it standalone.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Have LLL announced a date for their next release? MV's recent update sounded exciting, I just don't remember seeing any dates.

On 2/7/2021 at 3:18 PM, Bounty95 said:

We hope to have some new releases first week or two of March. After that, fingers crossed, a great flood shall wash upon the soundtrack marketplace unlike ever before...at least for a period of time. 

MV

More updates from MV on the FSM LLL Questions page

MV, any chance of a heads up on the March releases? I recall there were some releases but no confirmation whether 1st or 2nd week of March. As always thanks for keeping us in the loop. Thanks.

We have 1 confirmed. Waiting on 2 more

Most likely mid March release for the 1 (or possibly 2 or 3 new releases)

MV 

No idea they could be but it's an exciting time now that two labels have mentioned long-delayed titles are finally coming up.

Now all we need is for Varese to drop a club batch too!

I was excited to get a "hopefully" in response to my question in the MV Questions thread from FSM:

Is there any chance of individual John Williams focused releases from the sold out box sets of Lost in Space and Land of the Giants?  I'm thinking something similar to the individual Superman movie releases.

Hopefully

MV

I'm with you.  I passed on the box because the cost vs. value for me wasn't there (I already have all the previous releases and LiS isn't my favorite).  If they released "The Complete John Williams Lost in Space" collection, I'd probably bite.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I'm with you.  I passed on the box because the cost vs. value for me wasn't there (I already have all the previous releases and LiS isn't my favorite).  If they released "The Complete John Williams Lost in Space" collection, I'd probably bite.

I'd go for "The John Williams Fantasy Worlds of Irwin Allen Collection" boxed set.

The first six scores do a great job of mixing creeping dread with horror, and are distinctive in a way that many horror scores are not.  7 and 8 (or at least 7, haven't heard 8 beyond a few listens of the old Mollin compilation) do a good job of mixing that style (including older scoring) with a more aggressive electronic style which is fun itself although not terribly distinctive.

It's a shoestring budget and they're very much horror scores - if you aren't into that genre of scores, I'd suspect there's not much for you.

BACK IN STOCK! SUPERMAN THE MOVIE - SCHINDLER'S LIST - 2 MULES!

These acclaimed limited edition CD soundtracks are back in stock NOW at www.lalalandrecords.com

SUPERMAN THE MOVIE: 40th ANNIVERSARY (3-CD SET) by John Williams
SCHINDLER'S LIST: 25th ANNIVERSARY (2-CD SET) by John Williams
TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA: 50th ANNIVERSARY (2-CD SET) by Ennio Morricone

SupermanTheMovieHiResiTunesWeb.jpg SchindlersListCover-Web.jpg twomules-cover_Web.jpg

Re-stocks on these titles always sell out quickly, so get yours now!

Also, our pricing on our KING COHEN and THE SPECIALS Blu-rays has been reduced to $15.98 each!

Coming 3/16: Our new releases of TIME TUNNEL VOL 1 (3-CD SET) and FRIDAY THE 13 PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN are available to order starting 3/16 at 12 noon pst!

© 2021 La-La Land Records. All Rights Reserved.
  • 5 weeks later...

Woohoo!! Surprise 25% sale! Plus heaps of great titles back in stock! 

LA-LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS
TUESDAY, APRIL 6, 2021

25% OFF SITE-WIDE SPRING SALE ON NOW
at www.lalalandrecords.com

TAKE 25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE.
The discount will be applied at final checkout.

This special applies to ALL in-stock titles EXCEPT our recent releases of THE TIME TUNNEL VOL 1., FRIDAY THE 13th PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN, and the purchase of e-Gift Certificates.

Our newly back in stock JOHN WILLIAMS DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (4-CD BOX SET) and Danny Elfman’s MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE ’96 (2-CD SET) are INCLUDED as part of the site-wide sale!

Sale runs through 4/20/21

BACK IN STOCK!
JOHN WILLIAMS DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (4-CD BOX SET), MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE ’96 (2-CD SET), MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – FALLOUT (2-CD SET), THE ORVILLE: SEASON ONE (2-CD SET), QUINN MARTIN VOL 3: STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO (2-CD SET), FRIDAY THE 13th PARTS 2&3 (2-CD SET), FRIDAY THE 13th PARTS 4&5 (2-CD SET), SUPERMAN THE MOVIE: 40th ANNIV (3-CD SET), SCHINDLER’S LIST: 25th ANNIV (2-CD SET), TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA (2-CD SET), BRAM STOKER’S DRACULA (3-CD SET), THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH (2-CD SET), QUINN MARTIN VOL 2 : THE INVADERS (2-CD SET), ROMANCING THE STONE and the very last 100 units of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA – TV SERIES (4-CD SET)