The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

New Jerry Goldsmith release confirmed.

Yup just not from LLL :D 

This question has probably been put here a thousand times.

Is there a difference between the Shipping Status "Sold Out" and "Out of Print"?

Or do both more or less mean, that this title is in no way available anymore?

Jay is probably going to correct this, but at least usually on LLL's site,

OOP means they won't be pressing more copies.

Sold Out means they have sold out the current batch, but they will get it back in stock.

Isn't "Sold Out" more used for an expired licence as Alien3, Elfman Batman Collection and Die Hard 3 are all labeled as "Sold Out" each of them having less than 5000 copies while 5000 copies scores like Jurassic Park and E.T. are labeled "Out of Print".

Because I am still waiting for Die Hard 3 last batch which was announced before the pandemic or at its beginning and never happened

2 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

I am still waiting for Die Hard 3 last batch which was announced before the pandemic or at its beginning and never happened

I found this thread from September 2020, in which MV indicated they planned to get Die Hard With A Vengeance back in stock in 2021:

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=141488&forumID=1&archive=0

And I found this thread from January 2021, in which MV indicated Die Hard With A Vengeance had an "unknown" restock date:

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=142714&forumID=1&archive=0

I haven't found any posts where he's mentioned it since then.  It could still be planned to come back, or maybe they changed their minds?  

It is unusual that the product page says "Sold Out" if they plan on bringing it back:

https://lalalandrecords.com/die-hard-with-a-vengeance-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

So maybe it said "Temporarily Out Of Stock" for a while, and then recently changed to "Sold Out" when they decided not to make more.  That would explain everything.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

But maybe it said "Temporarily Out Of Stock" for a while, and then recently changed to "Sold Out" when they decided not to make more

That's what happened. I think it was around last september that it changed from "Temporarily Out Of Stock" to "Sold Out"

But yes that's confusing

Oh, well there you go then.  Clearly in January 2021 they were still planning on bringing it back, but by September 2021 they decided not to any more.

That's a bummer - it's a wonderful release of a great score.

Maybe with any luck, it means they are rebuilding it from scratch for a 30th anniversary edition in 2025?

Over in the FSM LLL thread, I asked MV about the difference between Sold Out and Out Of Print on their website, and he said :

"It all depends on what our webmaster chooses to write when we tell him that the cd is gone from the catalog. At some point I will probably have him either delete them entirely from our website or just label them SOLD OUT because OUT OF PRINT confuses some people.

MV"

On 03/02/2022 at 8:06 AM, May the Force be with You said:

I am still waiting for Die Hard 3 last batch which was announced before the pandemic or at its beginning and never happened

I have a terrible update for you.  Just posted by MV in the LLL thread on FSM:

"contract expired. No plans for a re-release. No reason to

MV"

In the FSM thread, MV posted this about what sells best and worst for them:

"The sweet spot is

60s TV
Films from '75 to '98
Animated shows from the 70's and 80s' and early 90's

There are exceptions of course, but that seems to have worked for us over the last 2 decades.

MV" 

I replied with surprise that he choose to end their sweet spot at 1998 specifically, and listed all their 1999-2004 titles I could think of that they've released. MV relied with some pretty shocking news about how each release I listed sold for them:

"1999 - Forces of Nature - tanked

1999 - Galaxy Quest - will sell out

1999 - Mystery Men - tanked

1999 - Office Space - tanked

1999 - The World Is Not Enough - might sell 4000 units of the 5000

2000 - Shaft - tanked

2000 - Titan A.E. - tanked

2000 - X-Men - will sell 3000 units

2001 - A.I. Artificial Intelligence - stellar release. 1st batch sold out

2001 - Planet of the Apes - tanked

2001/2002/2004 - Harry Potter Collection - stellar release. Will sell out

2002 - Die Another Day - might sell 4000 units of the 5000

2002 - Minority Report - will eventually sell 3000 units

2002 - The Sum of All Fears - sold 2000 of the 3000

2003 - Love Actually - tanked

2003 - Matrix Reloaded - did 2000 of the 3000

2003 - Matrix Revolutions - tanked

2003 - Willard - tanked

2003 - X2: X-Men United - had to unload to our distributor, put on sale. Will finally sell out

2004 - Passion of the Christ - tanked

2004 - Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - tanked

2004 - The Stepford Wives - tanked

And when I write tanked that means only pressed once...dumped them at a loss or inventory still sitting here.

MV"

Some titles like X-2 were not coveted by folks like me who had the excellent ost presentation.

I suspect this is also true for SKY and some other titles.

Fans didnt desire another version.

Too bad though.

I want LLL to be sucessful

8 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I want LLL to be sucessful

His list is only talking about 1999-2004 restorations that didn't sell well. As he said in his post, they still release plenty of other music that sells great 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

This is so sad. It's my favorite score from the trilogy! But I guess the OST covered all main highlights.

I'd have gladly picked up that release but I discovered these scores late and Revolutions was never in stock from the moment I wanted it.

Fortunately I was able to get one of their "lost and found" copies of Reloaded last year, but it's now left me with an incomplete set :(

La-La Land Records Presents!

JOHN WILLIAMS BIRTHDAY SALE!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN WILLIAMS! The Maestro is 90 and we're celebrating with $5 OFF each of our IN-STOCK John Williams CD titles! Get FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, SUPERMAN THE MOVIE, SUPERMAN IV THE QUEST FOR PEACE, MINORITY REPORT, FAR & AWAY, ALWAYS, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, TIME TUNNEL Vol 1 and TIME TUNNEL Vol 2 at a $5 OFF sale price now thru 2/15.

https://lalalandrecords.com/

MV posted on FSM about restocking!

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=146835&forumID=1&archive=0

Giving you all a head's up on titles we will be restocking in the near future. Hopefully we will hit these dates

Late February

PEACEMAKER (FINAL BATCH)
KINGSMAN SECRET SERVICE (FINAL BATCH)
SOMEWHERE IN TIME

EARLY MARCH

BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES (VOL 1) (FINAL BATCH)
DIARY OF ANNE FRANK

MID MARCH

JOHN WILLIAMS HARRY POTTER COLLECTION
EMPIRE OF THE SUN (FINAL BATCH)
BEVERLY HILLS COP (FINAL BATCH)

APRIL

THIN RED LINE
SCHINDLER'S LIST

That is all that is planned for right now. Please don't ask the predictable "BUT WHAT ABOUT" question some of you are bound to ask. I will not be addressing those titles until the next update.

Thank you.

MV

MV also indicated that all the 20th Century Studios releases they've had in the past 2 years were greenlit before the Disney acquisition, and more are coming

Disney buying Fox has had no impact on any label's potential to release scores from 20th Century Studio's back catalog.

Four volumes of Goldsmith at 20th, two volumes of Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Diary of Anne Frank, X-Men, X-Files Volume 4, The Orville Season 2... the 20th Century Studios hits keep coming!

Is it safe to say things are fully in the clear though? I seem to remember several of those titles being in the works for so long they actually predated the sale.

Correct. All our deals were done beforehand, but thats not to say more deals can't take place in the future.

As of right now we have at least three more Fox titles in the works.

MV

I recall MM saying in a podcast that more Fox scores were indeed coming (all signed before the acquisition) but none of them were JW.

He did mention approaching Fox/Disney about doing Valley of the Dolls, "once the dust has settled."

On 07/02/2022 at 1:10 AM, Jay said:

In the FSM thread, MV posted this about what sells best and worst for them:

"The sweet spot is

60s TV
Films from '75 to '98
Animated shows from the 70's and 80s' and early 90's

There are exceptions of course, but that seems to have worked for us over the last 2 decades.

MV" 

I replied with surprise that he choose to end their sweet spot at 1998 specifically, and listed all their 1999-2004 titles I could think of that they've released. MV relied with some pretty shocking news about how each release I listed sold for them:

"1999 - Forces of Nature - tanked

1999 - Galaxy Quest - will sell out

1999 - Mystery Men - tanked

1999 - Office Space - tanked

1999 - The World Is Not Enough - might sell 4000 units of the 5000

2000 - Shaft - tanked

2000 - Titan A.E. - tanked

2000 - X-Men - will sell 3000 units

2001 - A.I. Artificial Intelligence - stellar release. 1st batch sold out

2001 - Planet of the Apes - tanked

2001/2002/2004 - Harry Potter Collection - stellar release. Will sell out

2002 - Die Another Day - might sell 4000 units of the 5000

2002 - Minority Report - will eventually sell 3000 units

2002 - The Sum of All Fears - sold 2000 of the 3000

2003 - Love Actually - tanked

2003 - Matrix Reloaded - did 2000 of the 3000

2003 - Matrix Revolutions - tanked

2003 - Willard - tanked

2003 - X2: X-Men United - had to unload to our distributor, put on sale. Will finally sell out

2004 - Passion of the Christ - tanked

2004 - Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - tanked

2004 - The Stepford Wives - tanked

And when I write tanked that means only pressed once...dumped them at a loss or inventory still sitting here.

MV"

That's a shocking list, especially with regard to Shaft, Matrix Revolutions, Passion of the Christ, Stepford Wives, and the James Bond scores. These are all terrific scores and editions.

Someone once pointed out to me that there are die-hard James Bond fans who have every movie, every book, posters in the house... And it never occurred to them to buy a Bond score outside of a songs collection.