The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Even for people who are obsessed with a particular movie or series, listening to the score decoupled from the movie just isn't something that appeals to most

Something I will never understand.

36 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I've got 18 of those. Some really realeses on that list.

Karol 

Really?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Even for people who are obsessed with a particular movie or series, listening to the score decoupled from the movie just isn't something that appeals to most

They are probably satisfied with the OSTs.

Don't know what to say... I just don't find that incomptehensible at all. Collectibility/geekery for physical mementoes from a film are way more accessible than some CDs with music, which the average person could easily confused with the original releases.

I'm surprised at some in that list which tanked, but not Love Actually. I might at some point buy it digitally, or a few tracks from it, but I absolutely did not need it on CD.

And you know, this strengthens my resolve that some people around here should give the labels a break when they don't get things entirely perfect. The capital they spend repressing CDs for these minor issues, is capital they could be using for their next project, or to offset losses from a release that doesn't sell.

27 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The capital they spend repressing CDs for these minor issues

Which they wouldn't have to spend after a couple more QC rounds...

31 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I meant that it's incomprehensible that people collect time-turners, elder wands and first editions of the Philosopher's Stone while insisting that JW wrote 21 songs for POA.

Yeah. So obsessed with this surface level casual filth and still just filthy casuals aiming for those instagram likes for movie quotes.

A few others that don't surprise me:

1999 - Forces of Nature - it's Powell, but early, i.e. not the Powell we're accustomed to. I'd suspect a small curious bunch would've gotten it, but it seems niche even for our market.

2003 - Matrix Revolutions - the sessions damaging sales?

2003 - Willard - I had to look this one up. Probably no one's heard of it

2004 - Passion of the Christ - I'd be skeptical that many people were asking for more music from this one.

On 13/02/2022 at 1:41 PM, Richard Penna said:

I can barely explain why I find instrumental/incidental music so interesting. I absolutely understand why 99% of the world does not.

I mean ... what is there to explain?  I don't know what need there would even be to explain beyond gesturing at it wordlessly with a look of confusion on one's face at being asked to explain.

Hmmm, does "remastered and expanded" refer to it being remastered and expanded since their own last edition?  Or remastered and expanded compared to the OST album?

I doubt this is simply discs 1 and 2 of the old release without disc 3.  I am sure some care was given to what material out of everything recorded makes the most sense to include in a 2-disc only version.

Will "Inner Workings" include the extra wind machine heard in the film that wasn't on the last LLL edition, but was later released on LLL's 50th anniversary collection?

Will "End Credits" include the louder bouncy electronic chimes that weren't on the OST album, or the film, or the last LLL edition, but was on the Sony expansion?

I recently shared with Mike that I felt that the Track 01 Main Title (Movie Version) sounded a little tinny and thin, with a reverb that lacked some of the deeper frequencies of the ba-bum snare that kicks it off.   

Mike kindly responded:

Well, the problem is you're handing a multi-track to Bruce Botnick and you sort of have to respect his quarter century working with Jerry and let him mix. Increased clarity also lets you hear things differently and the fact is that the live 3-channel mix from 1979 is incredibly muddy.

Still, it's hard to unlearn hearing it the way you have for decades.  Here's a change I would love to see happen, as this YouTube video demonstrates.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Will "End Credits" include the louder bells that wasn't on the OST album, or the film, or the last LLL edition, but was on the Sony expansion?

I wasn't aware of this difference, but wow do I love when the bells are mixed prominently.

On 15/02/2022 at 3:57 PM, GerateWohl said:

For Videodrome I am content with the OST. I hardly ever listen to it actually.

VIDEODROME???

Oh waw!  I need this remasterisation!!!

:o

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've also seen him act in 2 episodes of Alias!

Loved those.

I also want to see more Cronenberg, but I'm also a bit wary of his earlier stuff. I did buy and watch Videodrome last year, and felt it was probably much easier to relate to in the 80s.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Dead Ringers is one of the most unsettling viewing experiences I've ever had.  I remember watching it with my best friend and we just sat there for like 5 minutes after it ended, not speaking.

Chang and Eng they were joined at the chest...

Great score too!

28 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

You should see The Fly. 

27 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Dead Ringers is one of the most unsettling viewing experiences I've ever had.  I remember watching it with my best friend and we just sat there for like 5 minutes after it ended, not speaking.

Those two I definitely have on my watch list. I've seen The Fly ages ago (on TV, i.e. dubbed) and remember little, and I only once caught a snippet of Dead Ringers.

Warning: Dead Ringers is a psychological thriller, often described as an horror movie, but it is not. Jeremy Irons play the two twin brothers and it's a movie from the 80s... with "special effects" from the 80s (so basically none)... So... You have been warned! :D

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I need to see more David Cronenberg films.  So far, I've only seen Existenz, A History of Violence, and Eastern Promises

I've also seen him act in 2 episodes of Alias!

VIOLENCE and PROMISES are good!

I like them more than his weird and  horror films

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

VIDEODROME???

Oh waw!  I need this remasterisation!!!

:o

It's FRESH!

19 hours ago, Jay said:

I need to see more David Cronenberg films.  So far, I've only seen Existenz, A History of Violence, and Eastern Promises

While it's a conventional choice, i recommend his King movie 'The Dead Zone'. A rare case of a Dino De Laurentis production that didn't suck.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Now, The Dead Zone had a decent score by Michael Kamen. I would like to see that one re-issued.

Karol

Have it.

It doesn't match the film in many places so a new version may be illuminating