The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

FIRST KNIGHT is top FIVE Goldsmith!

I just listened to it yesterday. Fantastic score, and using a chorus gives it an extra special touch.

48 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The only thing I don't like about First Knight is the generic Love Theme which does get repeatet a lot, but without any noticeable variation.

It's his customary Barry tune.

The theme is fine, but the bridge is perfunctory and if i ever had a beef with Goldsmith's style, it's that his thematic bridges often come off as 'let's get done with this with as few notes and surprises as possible', which often make a great theme appear less so, because the bridge doesn't carry it.

It works in cases like 'Rambo' or 'First Contact', but for every Long Road there are 9 others that sound shallow. 

21 hours ago, JTW said:

I just listened to it yesterday. Fantastic score, and using a chorus gives it an extra special touch.

Ironically, that's the one cue I don't like!.

Sounds like "Carmina Farina", a wornout cliche. I bet it was temped with that and JG was told to ape it😒

On 24/03/2022 at 4:41 PM, publicist said:

Goldsmith in knighthood mode was always a great match, but of course 'First Knight' is a much more conventional approach, with the Orff, Vaughan Williams et al. quotations being much more overt than in 'Lionheart'.

That being said, let's not forget that he did this as late replacement for Maurice Jarre and even though he only had a 4-5 week timeframe, he insisted on composing the big choral cue at the end - it was planned to just license 'Carmina Burana', afair. And it does profit mightily from its expansion.

I suspected that it was  originally planned to use CARMINNA. I guess Sucker didn't know it was used in EXCALIBUR😒.

No wonder it's such an inappropriate, cliched cue. I don't blame Jerry, though.

I never knew JG replaced Jarre!😳

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Funnily enough, I bought this over a year ago and still haven't actually listened to it. I must have about 8-9 still unopened Goldsmith albums from the past year or so.

Karol

Gosh I thought I was bad for not getting round to listening to things 😜. It took me a while to get round to the other scores in the set I have to say (and they didn’t actually interest me much in the end, even the other Jerry ones) but glad I got it anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Gosh I thought I was bad for not getting round to listening to things 😜. It took me a while to get round to the other scores in the set I have to say (and they didn’t actually interest me much in the end, even the other Jerry ones) but glad I got it anyway. 

I just counted. Still 33 albums in total to check out. That's pretty bad...

Just realised, I forgot Masada came out a couple of months ago! I wanted it for years, bought it when it first came out. And forgot about it?

Either way, I must have overdone it. This is what happens when you shop compulsively. Trying to cut back now.

Karol

14 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I just counted. Still 33 albums in total to check out. That's pretty bad...

Just realised, I forgot Masada came out a couple of months ago! I wanted it for years, bought it when it first came out. And forgot about it?

Either way, I must have overdone it. This is what happens when you shop compulsively. Trying to cut back now.

Karol

I totally sympathise. I get especially carried away when buying classical online at Presto as most albums are £5 to £7 for a lossless cd quality download and even less for Naxos or if they have a deal on. I usually set myself a limit of £20 but that’s still 4 or 5 albums. Plus all the other stuff… doesn’t help that I had a hard drive failure last year which wasn’t properly backed up (now my library is double backed up!) so I had several months of music to reimport and/or copy from the backup I did have so it all appears as “unplayed” in my iTunes. Think I still have like 2 weeks of solid listening to catch up on! Still, it’s an enjoyable problem to have I guess!

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

And (according to Facebook memories), exactly two years after I acquired it. Fun score. The most Joe Dante score that isn’t a Joe Dante score. I also got the Planet of the Apes set in the same order. And The Swarm. I was clearly in a Jerry scores wildlife mood… some other great titles in that delivery!

image.png

That is a great haul, Tom.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I bought it and listened to the album version a couple of times, but I forgot/was too lazy to listen to the whole thing (which I've had for years in the previous release, but without the new remastering and extra cues).

I generally listen to everything I get pretty much right away, at least once. Only with quite a lot of stuff these days I just play it once or twice and then forget about it and don't return to it for years.

On the other hand, I've got a pile of unbuilt LEGO sets that would probably last me for years even if I stopped buying more.

28 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That is a great haul, Tom.

While I always treasure a big box of CDs from LLL, Intrada or SAE, there are definitely a few that are more memorable or treasured than others and that’s definitely right up there. I think the package containing Jurassic Park and TLW and another with the 3 disc Star Trek: TMP would be at the top of my most exciting parcels. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, when expansions were rather fewer and further between, there was probably a greater frisson of excitement such as when I received the Star Wars special editions or the first time ET was expanded but there are still some pretty special collecting moments.

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I bought it and listened to the album version a couple of times, but I forgot/was too lazy to listen to the whole thing (which I've had for years in the previous release, but without the new remastering and extra cues).

I generally listen to everything I get pretty much right away, at least once. Only with quite a lot of stuff these days I just play it once or twice and then forget about it and don't return to it for years.

On the other hand, I've got a pile of unbuilt LEGO sets that would probably last me for years even if I stopped buying more.

I totally relate! I usually give anything new one listen but so easily if it’s not a grail, long sought after scores can still easily disappear from my consciousness. Ironically I made a point of listening to Masada a few months ago before the new version was released. I have re-ripped the new mastering into iTunes (just replacing the original files) plus the extra tracks, I’m not sure when I’ll actually get round to it all again! Oddly it’s not a Jerry score that I have ever really got into and listen to the re-recording more often. Nice to have that in better sound. 

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

There are too many great scores, there is so little time to listen to them. 

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Trying to cut back now.

Mission: Impossible. 

19 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I got the new set for the re-rec anyway. But I should give the full score at least one proverbial spin in its new incarnation.

Definitely. I decided that it would better divided into episodes as each one makes for a satisfying listen and is a more manageable length. Plus I can use a range of the custom artwork people have created in my library! One issue with tv albums is the length even with the best of them. 

28 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Definitely. I decided that it would better divided into episodes as each one makes for a satisfying listen and is a more manageable length. Plus I can use a range of the custom artwork people have created in my library! One issue with tv albums is the length even with the best of them. 

To be honest I only listened to the episodes that Goldsmith scored. I don't know much about Morton Stevens, but I'm sure he's a good composer, if he studied and worked with JG.

6 minutes ago, JTW said:

To be honest I only listened to the episodes that Goldsmith scored. I don't know much about Morton Stevens, but I'm sure he's a good composer, if he studied and worked with JG.

Fair. It’s more of the same to be honest. If you didn’t know you probably wouldn’t realise! 

30 minutes ago, JTW said:

I don't know much about Morton Stevens, but I'm sure he's a good composer, if he studied and worked with JG.

He ain't Jerry and it shows unfortunately. I would have prefered if Jerry had scored the main highlights of the entire show including the thematic material, and let Morton deal with the filler stuff. 

6 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

He ain't Jerry and it shows unfortunately. I would have prefered if Jerry had scored the main highlights of the entire show including the thematic material, and let Morton deal with the filler stuff. 

Stevens rescored the climactic scene from OUTLAND, and it shows. He's decent, but, and as @JTWfan77 says: "he's no Jerry".

57 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I see, but then again, NO ONE is Jerry. 

6 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

He ain't Jerry and it shows unfortunately.

There are long, dramatic cues like 'Sheva's Decision', 'Eleazar Speaks' (Masada's infamous mass suicide decision) and 'Silva's Soliloquy' that are very good. It's all i kept but when they play i feel in good musical hands.

They released the first Sonic OST on CD so this makes sense to me.

I do dimly remember they've been teasing a final Berman era Trek release just to clean up various fan favorite episode scores from across the series.

“STAR TREK TV SPECIAL!”

We’re celebrating our new release of STAR TREK COLLECTION THE FINAL FRONTIER with an amazing special offer on our other brilliant TREK TV SOUNDTRACK TITLES!

Get STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE VOL 2 (4-CD SET), STAR TREK: VOYAGER VOL 1 (4-CD SET), STAR TREK: VOYAGER VOL 2 (4-CD SET), STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE VOL 1 (4-CD SET), STAR TREK ENTERPRISE VOL 2 (4-CD SET) and STAR TREK: 50th ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION (4-CD SET) at a special sale price of ONLY $40 EACH!

Offer starts 4/5 at 12 noon (pst) and is good thru 4/18

Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

1 hour ago, Jay said:

“STAR TREK TV SPECIAL!”

We’re celebrating our new release of STAR TREK COLLECTION THE FINAL FRONTIER with an amazing special offer on our other brilliant TREK TV SOUNDTRACK TITLES!

Get STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE VOL 2 (4-CD SET), STAR TREK: VOYAGER VOL 1 (4-CD SET), STAR TREK: VOYAGER VOL 2 (4-CD SET), STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE VOL 1 (4-CD SET), STAR TREK ENTERPRISE VOL 2 (4-CD SET) and STAR TREK: 50th ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION (4-CD SET) at a special sale price of ONLY $40 EACH!

Offer starts 4/5 at 12 noon (pst) and is good thru 4/18

Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

Too bad I didn't see that before I ordered the new set. I was missing a couple and snagged them a few minutes ago with the discount... probably could've saved about $2 on shipping had I seen it earlier though. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if they could somehow reissue the JP or TLW expansions as a tie-in for the next Jurassic film, considering the original cast are returning. 

Would releasing the scores individually be considered a "new" item and not subject to the 5000 unit restriction? Or if they just added OST tracks to the assembly would that be sufficiently different to the previous version?

Would be doubly awesome if they could expand JP3 at the same time. No idea why that score hasn't been expanded yet, considering the paltry OST and resurgence of the franchise in recent years. 

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

I wonder if they could somehow reissue the JP or TLW expansions as a tie-in for the next Jurassic film, considering the original cast are returning. 

:nono:

Not before I've sold my spare copy.