The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Would be doubly awesome if they could expand JP3 at the same time. No idea why that score hasn't been expanded yet, considering the paltry OST and resurgence of the franchise in recent years. 

JP3’s score is such a delight. The OST and promo or whatever it was with additional cues doesn’t do it justice. So many wonderful cues that will sound amazing someday.

The promo gets most of the way to correcting the OST's problems (loads of missing cues and mostly unneeded rearrangement) but still has a lot of alternates and the overall sound isn't right.

Hopefully a new edition would present the film takes and fix the sound.

Well those expansions are certainly out of left field!

Interesting and surprising. I’m all for more Thomas Newman expansions but the one I’m pining after is Little Women. To my surprise this one was a Varese 90s album so add another to the list that they apparently did NOT get perpetuity rights for!

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/5775/Flesh+And+Bone

As for the other…It blows my mind that B&B was Frizzell’s first ever film score album (I think he had one disc of TV work released before?) and that that film of all things got separate score and songs soundtrack albums… https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/8866/Beavis+And+Butt-head+Do+America

I’m thinking these two are either particular favorites of people at LLL, or the composers themselves were interested in new and improved expansions coming out. I’ll certainly check out the sound clips…

Yavar

38 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What's not to like?

Don't ask, if you don't want to know.

I just remember having a great time watching the Beavis and Butthead movie in cinema at the time.

Can the youngsters today still relate to such characters and that kind of humor?

I swear there was a time on FSM where I was using “Beavis and Butt-head Do America” as a gag guess for things like Black Friday releases, under the assumption that there wasn’t really any score to speak of.  Lo and behold there was!  And listening to a few samples of the OST, it was actually…interesting?

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

And listening to a few samples of the OST, it was actually…interesting?

And good. With "Mr. President, We're Never Gonna Score" and "The Walk Into The Sunset" being my personal favorites from Frizzell's entire music work. I hope he returns for the second movie that is debuting sometime this year on Paramount+.

The original score release was quite messy in terms of chronological order. And Frizzell composed around 45 mostly short cues which were assembled to few longer tracks ("Dallas And Muddy" contains 5 cues alone, I think). Regarding unreleased cues, there shouldn't be that much, maybe 3-4 minutes in total. But having his music in a more chronological order (I suspect that is what LLL is doing here) is worth buying the release, I think.

I am not familiar with Beavis and Butthead or Flesh & Bone, but I look forward to checking out the samples, as always!

I apologize to La-La Land Records and everybody who worked on these two titles - it was stupid of me to compare them to Intrada's May 3rd titles.  Every title that every specialty label puts out is the result of insane amounts of hard work and nobody needs to see me comparing anything against each other.  I humbly admit to being a huge fool and hope I can be forgiven.

I've heard one track from Flesh and Bone which implies I likely heard the rest of the OST at some point and decided it wasn't for me.

13 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Interesting and surprising. I’m all for more Thomas Newman expansions but the one I’m pining after is Little Women. To my surprise this one was a Varese 90s album so add another to the list that they apparently did NOT get perpetuity rights for!

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/5775/Flesh+And+Bone

I had the isolated score rip at one point - it didn't strike me that an expansion would add much that can't already be obtained from that iso - just a small handful of small unreleased cues and a different mix for Valley of the Shadow. Similar thing to Contact which has some nice unreleased bits, but all available on the DVD.

And yes I know there could be alternates and the whole thing would sound a bit better, but the simple availability of the music in a commercially available format tends to put them lower on my wish list.

The fact that they've got a Thomas Newman expansion here makes me excited for some future prospects. Lemony Snicket has it's 20th Anniversary in two years - A perfect time to put it out. Plenty of others that I'd be happy with too, but Snicket is among the top of my list.

I may give this one a whirl too. 

Decent deal for the next few weeks. 25% off all items:

“25% OFF SPRING SPECIAL!”
Spring has sprung and we’re leaping into it with 25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER! The special applies to IN-STOCK ITEMS ONLY and includes our new May releases of BEAVIS AND BUTHEAD DO AMERICA and FLESH AND BONE!

The 25% DISCOUNT will be applied to your order when you complete checkout.

Offer starts 5/3/22 at 12 noon (pst) and is good thru 5/17/22

Might just pick up Empire of the Sun by itself, seeing as that discount offsets the international shipping rates.

Ended up taking advantage of the deal to pull the trigger on most, but not all, of my maybes (a few of the bigger ones were out of stock) from LLL including my man Beavis.  I also ended up picking up the small handful of $5 CDs they had which I hadn’t already owned, since I think $3.75 is a steal even for a rando blind buy.

LA-LA LAND ALERT!!!

25% OFF - ONE WEEK LEFT - 100 RIFLES RETURNS!

Our 25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER SPRING SPECIAL at www.lalalandrecords.com

ends in one week (special good thru 5/17)

Includes all currently in-stock items!

JUST ARRIVED BACK IN STOCK - 100 RIFLES/RIO CONCHOS by Jerry Goldsmith (LAST BATCH!)

Also -- remember... these quickly selling titles are also on their in-stock LAST BATCH and will be out of print once they sell out... DANCES WITH WOLVES, THE WARRIORS, BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES VOL 1, HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, GALAXY QUEST, DAY OF THE DEAD, SHAFT, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, TIME TUNNEL VOL 1, ROMANCING THE STONE, THE PAGEMASTER and MILLENNIUM VOL 1.

Get them now before they are gone... and for 25% OFF!

Get them now at www.lalalandrecords.com!

I wondered that too. It hasn't said Last Batch for EOTS anywhere except the initial stock ETA post MV made last year.

So maybe the final batch got split in half and there's more to come?

I want to get some stuff during the sale, does anyone have any recommendations for 'must have' John Williams scores, assuming I can only buy 3 or so?  The only in-stock ones I already own are Schindler's List and Home Alone.

I’d easily recommend Superman the Movie and Far and Away if you’re just building a collection. They’re both easy to get into, more so than say Minority Report. 

Superman is absolutely essential. Don’t miss that one. 

13 hours ago, Toa_of_Pi said:

I want to get some stuff during the sale, does anyone have any recommendations for 'must have' John Williams scores, assuming I can only buy 3 or so?  The only in-stock ones I already own are Schindler's List and Home Alone.

After Schindler's List and Home Alone, there's only seven more La La Land John Williams titles that are currently in stock.

Fiddler on the Roof

Superman

Empire of the Sun

Always

Far and Away

Saving Private Ryan

Minority Report

(Plus the Time Tunnel volumes)

My personal three favorites on that list are probably Empire of the Sun, Always, and Minority Report, but the 3 most accessible scores are certainly Superman, Empire of the Sun, and Far and Away

La-La Land has released so many more great Williams titles that are temporarily out of stock (Harry Potter Collection, AI Artificial Intelligence, Disaster trilogy) or now out of print (ET, CE3K, Jurassic Park Collection, 1941, etc).  It's gotta be so hard to catch up in this hobby!

I just wasted twenty minutes trying to purchase THE BAD SEED.

Despite me being a returning customer the site kept me.from doing so.

If you read.this MV, can you try and complete my order?

My Top 5:

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

EMPIRE OF THE SUN

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND

Others:

JAWS

RETURN OF THE JEDI

INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

JFK

HOOK

FAR AND AWAY

just get everythang!! Man!

9 hours ago, Toa_of_Pi said:

A.I.

CE3K

SUPERMAN - THE MOVIE

16 minutes ago, Amer said:

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

JAWS

RETURN OF THE JEDI

INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

JFK

La La Land Records does not offer these titles