The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

I remember the old OST for The Ring was an abomination, mixing Zimmer's score for the first movie with some other dudes' score from the second in a really bizarre way. 

At last this score (his first for Gore Verbinski) will have a decent release.

16 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

What was the first LLL disk?

Here's a list of their first 600 CD releases, I believe LLLCD1000 (Zulu Dawn) was also the first one released? 

16 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

2002 was about when the James Bond expansions hit, wasn't it?

Those were all released on a major label, not by our specialty label heroes 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Those were all released on a major label, not by our specialty label heroes 

True. But Lukas Kendall worked on them. I was just trying to put my mind to where these guys were really starting to get it done. And those were apparently 2003. I was close.

Wow. I didn't realize how off of my RADAR they were until Star Trek V. I bought the Battlestar Galactica discs, but I totally missed out on Innerpace!

InnerSpace really put LLL on my radar back then. 

A new reissue with the Ost arrangement + songs would be nice. Same with EXPLORERS but thats Intrada.

Well another month and no JW goodies... The lack of JW expansions or premier releases for his 90th birthday celebration has been very disappointing.  Only 2 so far this year?!  Yeah I know there’s been reissues and concert works but they’re not the same caliber as a premier or expanded release.  I am looking forward to the Fablemans OST but I’m not expecting an earth-shattering work.  

Hoping for at least one or multiple for Black Friday!

2 minutes ago, Dr. Rick said:

Well another month and no JW goodies... The lack of JW expansions or premier releases for his 90th birthday celebration has been very disappointing.  Only 2 so far this year?!  Yeah I know there’s been reissues and concert works but they’re not the same caliber as a premier or expanded release.  I am looking forward to the Fablemans OST but I’m not expecting an earth-shattering work.  

I think they said the next JW release would be Black Friday and that’s the last one

11 hours ago, Dr. Rick said:

What, were you really expecting the speciialty labels and studios to be in tune with reasonable and logical expectations?

14 hours ago, Dr. Rick said:

Well another month and no JW goodies... The lack of JW expansions or premier releases for his 90th birthday celebration has been very disappointing.  Only 2 so far this year?!

Yes, but a notable anniversary doesn't magically make all studio/licensing/misc issues suddenly go away.

They could for instance have a release or two prepared far in advance, knowing his 90th was approaching, and then something or muliple things get in the way and delay them.

Oh, I'm fully aware the labels or MM aren't to blame. I just don't understand why, in 2022, when JW turns 90, waiting for approvals is still an issue. How many expansions will these labels have to put out before the bureaucrats can just say: LLL, sure, approved. Why can't they drop this circus and worry about other things? Surely they've got more interesting stuff to tackle?

Things have gotten slower much more difficult in terms of working with multiple different studios. Mike talked at length about this specifically in regards to Fox stuff (how it used to be so simple and quick and easy, and now takes so much more time and work -- for a variety of factors which he explains!), on these two Goldsmith Odyssey podcasts:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/6920147-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-take-her-she-s-mine-1963

b49cbe86cb411762753e730c58953bb88ad958a9

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/11302249-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-goldsmith-at-20th-vol-v-music-for-television-1968-1975

ab1c92e34c31b71f2c9b4764ea20c07e2ea05db0

(I'm personally really hoping Mike gets to revisit Williams's Conrack and The Paper Chase from Fox sometime soon, so I can retire my old FSM album where they are paired with The Poseidon Adventure... I'm sure the sound can be greatly improved with a quarter century of new tech advances, plus we need decent cover art for both!)

Yavar

27 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Stéphane Humez (project consultant on Drop Zone/Weather Man releases and basically runs the hans-zimmer.com website) has confirmed a few tidbits about the release:

Is she the real identity behind Hybrid Soldier?

GOING OUT OF PRINT - less than 25 each remain of BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES VOL 3 (4-CD SET) and NAKED GUN TRILOGY (3-CD SET). Get them NOW as part of our site-wide 20% OFF birthday sale. When they're gone, they're gone for good! Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/pfbid02Cm3UgD6NJDh9ubC7XcEvF2JGHZpq3i9nYzLGVZB8KcmQxSFCpNXfyjx5s6oENLJxl

34 minutes ago, John F said:

With all the Bond music concerts and documentaries airing lately seems like an opportune time to include something in the Black Friday batch.

MV's last comment on Bond expansions didn't inspire confidence. From January this year:

Everything is off for a variety of reasons.

You know after 20 years of doing this I really should learn to keep my big trap shut and not mention anything until a title is ready to come out. Thank you for reminding me why I should embrace this from here on out.

See yall in the funny papers

MV out!

Sounds like the project is dead in the water after Amazon's MGM acquisition.

• 3 weeks later...

In my head I think of Black Friday titles as December releases because most of the time the Tuesday you can actually buy them is early December, and nobody ever receives them in the mail until December anyway

The real oddity for me is the small handful of years where they released titles in between their Black Friday batch and the first batch of the next year

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

most of the time the Tuesday you can actually buy them is early December

If you'll excuse deeply, deeply pointless and annoying pedantry, this is not technically true.

The Tuesday after Thanksgiving can be:

11/27

11/28

11/29

11/30

12/1

12/2

12/3

4 out of 7 are in November.  Now Leap Years make it tricky, but if you're looking over a long enough period, the Tuesday after Thanksgiving will be in November 57% of the time :) 

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

In my head I think of Black Friday titles as December releases because most of the time the Tuesday you can actually buy them is early December, and nobody ever receives them in the mail until December anyway

I'll have them before next year if I'm lucky…