The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Im an easy mark for Friday the 13th, and given the improvement on part 1, I’m in for 2!

Are you able to list the differences and improvements? I was always curious

MV says

Chaplin was supposed to a Black Friday title but wasn't going to be in on time so BURBS filled it's slot.

FRIDAY THE 13TH PT 2 ULTIMATE is even more impressive than the Ultimate Part 1 we did in 2021. We think fans will be very happy.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Y'ALL!

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=150116&forumID=1&archive=0

I've never seen "Chaplin", and wouldn't have been able to tell you who scored it before this announcement

Who here has seen the film, and what are your thoughts on the film?

MV says

Happy to see the excitement over Charlie and Jason.

As I mentioned in late 2022, after we release these 2 titles on January 13, we will be taking a hiatus of sorts in February and March. We plan to be back with our monthly slate of new releases starting on April 4, 2023. During that time, we will be playing catch up on all things internally and externally at the office. We also plan on bringing in titles that are currently OUT OF STOCK (not OUT OF PRINT). So, expect to see a lot of final batches of titles coming in during the next few months.

Bram Stoker's Dracula is the first title to come back in stock. It is the final batch, so once it sells out it's gone for good.

Hot on the heels of Drac, will be Danny Elfman's scores to MISSION IMPOSSIBLE and DARKMAN. BOTH titles are going out of print. These will be the final batch for these two amazing scores. Once they sell out, they will be gone for good.

Expect MI 1996 and DARKMAN to be back in stock and up for sale in late January.

We aim to bring back in at least a dozen or so OUT OF STOCK titles over the next few months. Some of these titles include

DIE ANOTHER DAY
THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
TITANIC
CASPER
TRANSFORMERS LAST KNIGHT
THE SWARM
FIELD OF DREAMS
LESS THAN ZERO

As to when these titles will be back in stock and ready to ship, I don't know. As soon as I do, I will be posting about their availability.

Hope you all had a fabu Holiday Season!

Happy New Year!

MV and Co.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=150116&forumID=1&archive=0

18 hours ago, Jay said:

I've never seen "Chaplin", and wouldn't have been able to tell you who scored it before this announcement

Who here has seen the film, and what are your thoughts on the film?

It’s really, really good. Might be Robert Downey Jr’s greatest performance as an actor, honestly. And I think the score may be Barry’s greatest (if perhaps not my favorite) after Dances With Wolves. IMO it fits the film perfectly and not in a generic way. I think he was inspired.

Hear @Jay; check out the opening sequence of the film. This is not one-size-fits-all Barry; to me it seems very specifically tailored to this film:

Yavar

6 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Might be Robert Downey Jr’s greatest performance as an actor, honestly.

It was certainly intended to be at the time.

On 2/1/2023 at 8:05 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Looking forward to the inevitable Saturday the 14th spin-off. 

Actually, there was a spoof back in the day: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083033/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

And HBO ran it (and The Beastmaster) so often, one might think HBO was getting a cut in the profits.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

If I have even an inkling that I might end up buying a score, I'll find a high res version (ideally at least 1000px) right away just in case... I'm not trusting a computer with that task.

I don't think I have had a computer fail that badly.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

If I have even an inkling that I might end up buying a score, I'll find a high res version (ideally at least 1000px) right away just in case... I'm not trusting a computer with that task.

Oh I would add that I diligently look for good quality cover art online but obviously it still sticks something in itself first. Usually try and get different artwork for the bonus tracks too if it’s available. 

14 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Oh I would add that I diligently look for good quality cover art online but obviously it still sticks something in itself first. Usually try and get different artwork for the bonus tracks too if it’s available. 

You know, the only case where I've done that is the Sleepy Hollow bonus tracks where I liked the Horseman alternate cover.

Until about a year ago I settled for a nice 800x800 image but then I found one cover hosted (but not linked to anywhere) on Varese's hosting site at over 3000 resolution. That triggered a hunt for mega-high-res versions of all DEs I have, and generally a raid on CoverArtExchange for other scores.

So yeah, while most around here have other 'bugbears' in terms of releases, such as pinpoint accurate metadata, mine is perfect as possible cover art, as I display it using an app in the corner of one of my monitors.

I’ve been burning a hole in my pocket too recently.

And I’m out here giving no fucks, still about to spring for Godfather and Scarface. That just seems like a perfect combo. Too perfect to pass up. Looks like these three Andrew Jacksons aren’t gonna make it…

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

You know, the only case where I've done that is the Sleepy Hollow bonus tracks where I liked the Horseman alternate cover.

Until about a year ago I settled for a nice 800x800 image but then I found one cover hosted (but not linked to anywhere) on Varese's hosting site at over 3000 resolution. That triggered a hunt for mega-high-res versions of all DEs I have, and generally a raid on CoverArtExchange for other scores.

So yeah, while most around here have other 'bugbears' in terms of releases, such as pinpoint accurate metadata, mine is perfect as possible cover art, as I display it using an app in the corner of one of my monitors.

I'm pretty picky on meta data (although more so for classical) but same on cover art. Usually aim for 800x800 as well, although often the Spotify artwork is the best available and that's a pretty acceptable 640x640. In fairness, I don't think my cover art is ever displayed big enough that 800x800 is necessary but it seems a decent size to stick to in a quality versus data metric (just annoying that iTunes can't tag a single image file to all tracks it's attached to rather than attaching it each track individually, this massively multiplying the storage images take up, especially when it inexplicably converts them to PNG which it often, but not always, does for... reasons). I do often use custom cover art where it's better than (or an enhanced version of) the original artwork, but like to have different artwork for the main programme, original album, bonus tracks, sources cues etc. if the album has such things and there is a range of artwork. I think Sleepy Hollow was one of the several I had trouble picking artwork for as there are a lot of great custom covers around. Things like Star Wars and Avatar etc., have similar issues... some amazing digital graphic designers out there.

The big franchises are hell, in that there's usually no 'definitive' cover art, taking the different versions into account. As you say, very often the fan ones are better than the official ones. I'll never know the mindset of whoever thought the JP Dominion cover was acceptable, given all of the artwork at their disposal.

I also use Spotify as a fallback if all else fails - 90% of the time their art is fine and 640 is perfectly acceptable for most cases.

The only metadata I'm bothered about, apart from the standard (album, artist, track name) is album artist because that's important to getting albums to show correctly in PowerAmp, and I had to do a lot of retagging when I started using that app.

Hi, everyone ! :music:

I'm just asking me, if a (Public) Extended Soundtrack edition - 2CD for example -, from 2003's Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the black Pearl can be released this year (in LLL records or another edition), for the 20 years occasion of the movie/ the saga ? What are your feelings, about it ?

Thanks !

4lb4tard

Also even if a specialty label somehow got to release it, it would be Intrada.

Personally, I'd be down for expanded albums of the first three Pirates, though it seems obvious such releases would suffer from overly loud brickwalled mastering. There's also no way Hans would let them be released in 100% complete form.

Thanks for your comments, guys !

Hm, right, I forget that was a Disney franchise, crap!:D . However, they can possibly release an official edition a bit like "WD Records Legacy"... I don't know, I just imagine. Or by Intrada, why not ! For my part, "complete 100%" or not, I almost don't care, because if Zimmer can release at least tracks never heard who can be officialized in these 3 editions, that would be nice.

And yes, about Klaus Badelt, that would be a small pitty ; concerning CotBP, historically Badelt only had his name written on the main cover to be a bit better well-known...that's actually Zimmer who composed and produced (globally/mainly) the 3 scores of these 3 first films. Badelt, Zanelli, Djawadi, Jablonsky, (Nefertiti - wot ????) etc. only were his "pupils" at these times, for additional musics... :')

So, anyway, even today that doesn't change anything about asking to the composers for a possibly released like this one. Each composers would be payed for the works they've done. #WaltDisneyRecordscopyright... That's my opinion.

12 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Also even if a specialty label somehow got to release it, it would be Intrada.

Personally, I'd be down for expanded albums of the first three Pirates, though it seems obvious such releases would suffer from overly loud brickwalled mastering. There's also no way Hans would let them be released in 100% complete form.

Would they though? As I recall, the OST suffers from this, but not the sessions leak.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Would they though? As I recall, the OST suffers from this, but not the sessions leak.

A sessions leak is an unofficial leak of the raw, unmastered recordings.  A proper expansion would be mastered by a mastering engineer to the satisfaction of the album producer (in this case, that would likely be Zimmer).

So if Zimmer wanted the mastering engineer to brickwall his expansions, the mastering engineer would brickwall those expansions.

Thinking of the Lion King legacy collection, which would probably be the closest thing to what you’re asking for here.  Was that brickwalled terribly?  I don’t look at waveforms but if I recall correctly it didn’t sound dreadful in that regard.

I can't immediately recall any Zimmer expansions of his big action/adventure scores where a lot of short cues need to be handled.

(I hope that's not a sign that he doesn't want them expanded)

I'd buy At World's End but I'm not fussed about the other two.

3 hours ago, Indianagirl said:

I would personally love an expanded score to JFK this year

I'd love this any year but seems impossible due to the Warner Bros. licencing debacle (along with The Witches of Eastwick).