The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Apparently it is. I have to admit I'm not at all familiar with the score, but after hearing the main theme on youtube, Twister is definitely an expansion I'll be looking out for.

La-La Land is cleaning up the 90s. I wouldn't be surprised if Twister and several other key action scores, or just key scores in general, get released/expanded in the near future. So far they're easily label of the year for me. Nice to see them becoming very formidable in the film score world.

The full score for Twister should run close to 60 minutes, if not a bit longer. It could easily fit onto one CD. There are definitely still some bits missing, most notably the opening notes of "Wheat Field".

The OST for Twister is 50 mins, if you include the credits, so I can't see there being much unreleased. In fact it seems a little disappointing that Mancina didn't put the full score on to begin with.

The only two bits I'm aware of from the last time I looked at the movie are when they leave Meg's house in a rush and you get some great guitar/rock work during the amazing panoramas, and the final sequence with the F5 which I think is missing some lower key action material when they're running along the fence.

Plus there are some other sequencs (trapped under the bridge?) that I don't remember off hand whether they were scored, or may have unused music.

I do own the original CD (found it surprisingly cheap on ebay years ago), but I'd buy a new set for the extra music, and no doubt boosted sound quality.

So far they're easily label of the year for me. Nice to see them becoming very formidable in the film score world.

Absolutely. And their releases accelerating to every 2 weeks (alternate weeks to Intrada I think) in a few months really makes them a label to watch. Unlike Intrada, I can get genuinely excited about LLL's announcements.

I do wonder if they are trying to license some of Varese's 30 minute atrocities from this period. Varese does too few club releases for these to be attacked in any number. There are a fair number of superb action scores on their pallet.

The 13th Warrior could be a good comparison, and the film is set in similarly remote/mountainous surroundings.

A lot of the underscore to The Edge reminded me of writing from Insurrection and Nemesis. I listened to it last night and there was no hardcore Viking chants to be heard in The Edge, but the main theme is gorgeous. It made me feel like I was outside gazing at mountains.

I think that after not buying any scores this week (with three orders still out there), next week's going to be expensive again.

I was thinking more the approach taken with the orchestra - the action technique and the use of woodwinds and low brass.

The main theme is a bit overused I think, but I've noticed that with Goldsmith - he seems to rely on thematic quotations rather a lot, instead of writing generic underscore.

This month's already expensive - Trek, The Edge and Mr Atlas, and yet another Intrada batch in 11 days.

I really need to make an umpteen hour long Goldsmith playlist so I can listen to all of these albums in chronological order.

A fun experiment would be to take all of the non-thematic tracks and see how many of them I can identify.

I think LLL's attainment of John Debney's Predators is a sign of excellent things to come from the label.

Quite amusing looking on Ebay for The Edge OST. There are 10 on ebay.com, and 3 on ebay.co.uk, one of which is going for £50!

I would feel bad at accepting that sort of money for my copy though :thumbup:

No worries, Mark, I'll make a good profit out of it!

:mrgreen:

(Seriously, though, I'll totally keep it for my own listening pleasure; but if you want to put your OST on eBay, I won't blame you!)

One seller on Amazon wants over $200 for a 'new' copy.

Wow. Just wow.

I find it laughable and pitiful that some people think they're going to get that much for an obsolete copy. I bet someone like that probably thought they'd get $300 for a copy of the Two Towers and Return Of The King complete recordings when they temporarily went out of stock.

That's not that laughable and pitiful to me. It's laughable and pitiful that people actually pay for it, I mean, that IS the only reason people are selling that high. Avatar promo anyone? I think that might just be the worst purchase of the decade made by any man or woman.

That's not that laughable and pitiful to me. It's laughable and pitiful that people actually pay for it, I mean, that IS the only reason people are selling that high. Avatar promo anyone? I think that might just be the worst purchase of the decade made by any man or woman.

I don't know...if I had ridiculous amounts of money, to the point where I could spend thousands of dollars and not feel the slightest impact, then I see no reason to not make the purchase.

Since LLL have a deal with Sony, I'd like to see them release the music from Seinfeld. There are all those funny variations of the Seinfeld theme and segues, plus all that faux action and ominous music, plus the short-lived music from the pilot episode "The Seinfeld Chronicles". I'd buy it!

Since LLL have a deal with Sony, I'd like to see them release the music from Seinfeld. There are all those funny variations of the Seinfeld theme and segues, plus all that faux action and ominous music, plus the short-lived music from the pilot episode "The Seinfeld Chronicles". I'd buy it!

:)

I'm laughing because I said the same thing to my friend last night. We were watching Seinfeld and kept cracking up at the music (alcohol was involved), and I said they should release a complete score to the series.

Speed 2 is really tearing at me, because out of the 40 min promo, I like maybe 25 mins. That's really borderline on whether I choose to support LLL here, given this has already been a pricey month.

Its highly likely the 71 minute LLL release will contain interesting score that wasn't on the promo. They'll put samples up on Tuesday.

Yeah, I'd definitely purchase music from Seinfeld. I'd also immediately buy a soundtrack to 30 Rock.

Yeah, that's right for Scrubs - there really isn't all that much score used in both Scrubs and Seinfeld. 30 Rock, however gets a score for each episode - season 1 did at any rate.

SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL: LIMITED EDITION

SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1138

Music by Mark Mancina

Limited Edition of 3000 Units

NOW SHIPPING

RETAIL PRICE $19.98

ORDER "SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL: LIMITED EDITION" NOW at www.lalalandrecords.com

Presenting the premiere release of composer Mark Mancina's (BAD BOYS, MONEY TRAIN, SPEED, FAIR GAME, SHOOTER) powerhouse score to the 1997 Twentieth Century Fox feature film SPEED 2, starring Sandra Bullock, Jason Patric and Willem Dafoe, directed by Jan De Bont. Orchestra and electronics combine in spectacular Mancina fashion, resulting in a full-throttle score that skillfully revisits the composer's classic SPEED music, while also spinning off from it in exhilarating new directions. Produced by Nick Redman and Mike Matessino, and digitally edited and mastered by Mike Matessino and Neil S. Bulk, this dynamic album presentation includes a notable amount of music that wasn't used in the film (due to the picture's ever-changing edits right up to its release date). More than 70 minutes of pure adrenaline! Exclusive, in-depth liner notes by Daniel Schweiger feature new comments from the composer. This is a limited edition of 3000 units.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Twentieth Century Fox Fanfare/Motorcycle Chase (4:18)

2. Alex and Annie / Caribbean Cruise (4:42)

3. Engine Room (5:02)

4. Overboard (8:40)

5. Last Lifeboat (7:01)

6. Goodbye, Alex (4:06)

7. Reunion (2:43)

8. Tanker Turn (5:02)

9. Gieger Grabs Annie (1:48)

10. Escape (7:31)

11. The Harbor (7:16)

12. Final Chase (7:23)

13. Underwater Rescue (1:46)

14. Cruising (2:58)

Total Time (70:24)

THE EDGE: LIMITED EDITION

THE EDGE: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1131

Music by Jerry Goldsmith

Limited Edition of 3500 Units

NOW SHIPPING

RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

ORDER "THE EDGE: LIMITED EDITION" NOW at www.lalalandrecords.com

La-La Land Records, with Sony Music (Custom Marketing Group) and 20th Century Fox, presents the remastered and expanded release of composer Jerry Goldsmith's (PATTON, THE OMEN, BASIC INSTINCT, FIRST BLOOD, INNERSPACE) powerful orchestral score to the 1997 Twentieth Century Fox feature film THE EDGE, starring Anthony Hopkins, Alec Baldwin and Bart The Bear, directed by Lee Tamahori. Considered by many to be one of Mr. Goldsmith's last great scores, his music to THE EDGE is at once thrilling, thoughtful and breathtakingly beautiful – managing to not only convey the film's majestic backdrop, but also it's complex struggles of Man vs. Beast, Man vs. Nature and Man vs. Man. Produced by Nick Redman, Mike Matessino, and Didier C. Deutsch, this expanded presentation of THE EDGE features more than 65 minutes of pure Goldsmith, including bonus tracks. CD booklet contains exclusive liner notes by Jeff Bond. This is a limited edition of 3500 units.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Early Arrival (1:32)*

2. Lost In The Wild(s) (2:59)

3. A Lucky Man/Open Door (1:41)*

4. Mighty Hunter (1:31)

5. The Spirit (0:36)*

6. Birds (2:22)

7. The Fire / Breakfast (2:31)*

8. Rich Man (0:58)*

9. The Ravine (4:36)

10. Bitter Coffee (3:01)

11. Wound (1:38)*

12 . Stephen's Death (2:26)*

13. The Cage / False Hope / No Matches (3:34)*

14. Stalking (5:46)

15. Deadfall / Bear Fight (6:21)

16. The Discovery / Trust Your Back (5:01)*

17. The River (2:26)

18. Rescued (6:03)

19. End Title (Lost In The Wild)(s) (1:59)*

20. The Edge (2:55)

Bonus Tracks

21. False Hope (Alternate Take) (1:08)*

22. Rescued (Film Version Ending) (1:19)*

23. The Edge (Alternate Take) (3:00)*

Total Time 66:15

* - Previously unreleased

NEW RELEASE SPECIAL:

NEW RELEASE SPECIAL: Order SPEED 2 now and get THE EDGE at a special sale price of only $14.98. For a limited time. Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

To celebrate our release of SPEED 2, we're offering Mark Mancina's classic BAD BOYS: LIMITED EDITION at a special sale price of only $9.98. For a limited time. Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

GOING OUT OF PRINT SALE!

GOING OUT OF PRINT SALE! The following titles are GOING OUT OF PRINT JUNE 30, 2010. Get 'em, now at www.lalalandrecords.com 'cause when they are gone, they are gone!

$1.98 each: HEADHUNTER/HEADHUNTER REDEMPTION (2CD SET) (Less than 200 remain), KING OF THE ANTS (Less than 150 remain), BOOK OF STARS (Less than 200 remain), THE BIG EMPTY (Less than 200 remain)

$4.98 each: HITMAN 1&2 (2CD SET) (Less than 200 remain)

Oh man, I didn't plan to get these, but Speed 2 sounds fun as hell. I'm not a huge Goldsmith fan, but I love the sounds of The Edge from the samples. Is Bad Boys worth 10 bucks?!

Yes! The main theme is great, as are the best tracks. Listening to the entire CD, it does start to drag a little... but you can make a playlist of the best tracks.

HOLY CRAP!

Just got a chance to listen to the samples.

"Caribbean Cruise" is a COMPLETELY differently orchestrated version of "Seabourn Legend"! I like the promo version much better!

EDIT: Apparently Seabourn Legend is actually a cue from the end of the film? Its been ages since I've seen the movie.

Ordered both Speed 2 and The Edge. I quite like this new Caribbean Cruise sample. The added saxophone... wow!

Grabbed The Edge and The Flash. I also like LaLaLand's cover for The Edge much better than the original album.

I suppose the old cover is appealing if you like Anthony Hopkins and Alec Balwin grimacing as if they were having a massive bowel movement.

I think the new cover reflects the human drama of the film much better.

I don't like either cover, but will probably use the original one. To me, the movie is about a giant bear. I know there is a human drama and the plot about the other guy's wife, but I don't watch the movie for the human drama. I watch it to see a giant bear.

If anything, The Edge deserves a custom cover using Bart:

4334599197_a5a32775da_o_d.jpg

But both covers are better than this video cover. It implies a "buddy/put your head on my shoulder" relationship not present in the film.

theedge.jpg