The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

The Friday the 13th movies have some pretty cool music but I can't really picture myself picking up a box set of it.

I remember in a film music class a professor taught us about Dies Irae using the usual examples like Star Wars and Close Encounters. But when it came time for the exam we had to identify it in

(skip to 1:07). Hilarious.

All over the place in Star Wars, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. But the clearest usage is near the end of "Burning Homestead."

All over the place in Star Wars, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. But the clearest usage is near the end of "Burning Homestead."

Oh wow, I can't believe I never realized that. I've always loved that passage.

You can hear it subtly in a lot of the Tatooine material, especially the alternate "Binary Sunset." Also in "Anakin's Betrayal" and music of that vein in the prequels.

Oh wow, in those eight notes that connect the first two half notes of "Anakin's Betrayal." That's pretty clever. I hear it in "Binary Sunset (alt)" too. Thanks.

UPDATE:

Autographed copies of Uncharted 3 are SOLD OUT. Thanks, guys! You made Mr. Edmonson a happy chap -- Order #'s: 42574 - 42861

Also, slight change in shipping plans:

Both titles will start shipping out on Monday, October 31.

MV

Well, the yellow ship and octopus is CLEARLY from 1961's Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, the score of which was done by Paul Sawtell and Bert Shefter

%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CMM817lg.jpg

A lot of people on FSM say the other ship is from Space: Above and Beyond (composed by Shirley Walker), but I haven't been able to find a single image through google from the show that looks like it

Look at the space ships at 1:29... It's clearly SPACE: ABOVE & BEYOND !

Didn't see the entire show but I remember some parts of the score by the late Shirley Walker. It's not as melodic as BATMAN: TAS, for sure, but it's a great TV score.

First up:

SPACE ABOVE AND BEYOND - 3 CD SET

MUSIC BY SHIRLEY WALKER

LLLCD 1192

LIMITED EDITION OF 3000 UNITS

RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

PRODUCED BY MIKE JOFFE AND NICK REDMAN

MASTERED BY DANIEL HERSCH AT D2 MASTERING

LINER NOTES BY JEFF BOND

ART DIRECTION BY MARK BANNING

La-La Land Records and 20th Century Fox Music are proud to announce the world premeire release of Shirley Walker's classic scores to the Morgan/Wong sci fi television show SPACE ABOVE AND BEYOND. In many ways a precursor to the recent Battlestar Galactica, this sci fi show follows a group of Space Aces as they wage a war against an alien enemy. Ms. Walker's spectacular orchestral score was the highlight of the cult television series. If you liked her work on Batman, The Flash and Mystery Men, you will love what you hear on this out of the world 3 disc set!

NEXT UP:

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

MUSIC BY PAUL SAWTELL AND BERT SHEFTER

LLLCD 1187

LIMITED EDITON OF 2000 UNITS

RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

SPECIAL SALE PRICE: $14.98

PRODUCED BY NICK REDMAN

RE-MASTERED BY MIKE MATESSINO

LINER NOTES BY RANDALL D. LARSON

ART DIRECTION BY MARK BANNING

First we take you into the farthest reaches of Space and now we take you under the sea!

La-La Land Records and 20th Century Fox Music are proud to announce the 50th Anniversary Edition of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, the hit film that spawned the classic television series. This new Anniversary Edition has been remastered and touched up by Mike Matessino with new liner notes by film score and sci fi historian Randall D Larson. Art Director Mark Banning captures the majesty and whimsy of the film throughout the cd packaging. PLEASE NOTE: Content is the same as previous FSM release, but the damaged track has been fixed.

Both titles go on sale Tuesday, November 8, 2011 at 1 pm PST

See y'all back then!

MV

Definitely skipping those but cool to those who have been wanting the set. Hopefully those sell well. I'm waiting for MV's Black Friday announcement, three weeks from this Friday. :lick:

Definitely skipping those but cool to those who have been wanting the set. Hopefully those sell well. I'm waiting for MV's Black Friday announcement, three weeks from this Friday. :lick:

Be prepared for the wrath of God unleashing on this board when people will find out that Hook isn't one of those titles ;)

I like Space Above and Beyond. I actually have the show on dvd, but its been awhile since I watched it. I cant really remember the music right now. I agree with Trent, I'll wait for the Black Friday announcement.

MV just posted this on FSM regarding Ghostbusters 2.

"I want this score as well (plus it would continue my total domination of Summer of 1989 scores)

However, GB2 score elements simply do not exist. We can't find them at Sony nor does Mr Edelman know where they could be."

So those of you hoping for a complete expansion, looks like one may never come.

The now-rumored SCROOGED (Elfman) at least shares two common themes with HOOK (christmas + a man redeemed); it's not the strongest link for sure, but it's a glimmer of hope.

Here's MV's full quote about GB2 since Trent only posted part of it

Shit, I'm sorry La La Land, I didn't mean to turn this into a "I want this score" with my post, I know you guys work hard.

I'm positive I'm buying whatever you got going on for Black Friday. Hoping some of your other already released CDs get a special sales price.

I'll make a separate thread for Ghostbusters II right now.

LOL

No worries.

Believe me, I want this score as well (plus it would continue my total domination of Summer of 1989 scores)

However, GB2 score elements simply do not exist. We can't find them at Sony nor does Mr Edelman know where they could be.

Le sigh. . .

MV

Also, when going over the list of composers again, MV let us know that the Howard title he had planned for 2011 is now coming out in 2012:

I'll give you this -- got some Howard title(s) brewing for 2012. . .Howard didn't make the cut in 2011

MV

That list, once again:

Barry - The Golden Child

Debney - The Young Riders

Elfman -

Goldsmith - First Knight, Bad Girls, Forever Young, Sleeping With The Enemy

Horner - Commando

Howard - pushed back to 2012

Kamen -

Mancina - Money Train

Newman - A Certain Smile

Morris - Clue

Poledouris - Breakdown

Portman - Jim Henson's Storyteller, which was canceled

Snow - X-Files boxset

Tiomkin - 55 Day At Peking (also Fall Of The Roman Empire, which was pushed back to 2012)

Williams - 1941

Since he didn't mention anythin gabout Elfman and Kamen titles, I think we can DEFINITELY assume that two of the Black Friday titles are by Elfman and Kamen!!

I betcha the Elfman is Planet of the Apes and the Kamen is Die Hard 1.

Planet of the Apes just was released as part of the Elfman-Box, wasn't it? What a waste....(they did it vice versa for BATMAN RETURNS, so it seems a logical conclusion, i agree).

Planet of the Apes just was released as part of the Elfman-Box, wasn't it? What a waste....(they did it vice versa for BATMAN RETURNS, so it seems a logical conclusion, i agree).

POTA in the Elfman box was simply the existing 58 minute OST plus 18 minutes of bonus tracks added to the end.

There was enough music recorded from POTA to fill up 3CDs.

If the Kamen one isn't Robin Hood, I'm gonna puke. A lot.

Die Hard coming out now has nothing to do with whether or not Robin Hood can still come out.

20th Century Fox is notoriously easy to work with, hence why just about every score they have has been expanded. Fox owns both Die Hard and POTA.

If the Kamen one isn't Robin Hood, I'm gonna puke. A lot.

Die Hard coming out now has nothing to do with whether or not Robin Hood can still come out.

Yeah, but I'm a spoiled brat, and I want it now.

Threatning to puke always adds that special touch to an impatient demand.

MV just posted this on FSM regarding Ghostbusters 2.

"I want this score as well (plus it would continue my total domination of Summer of 1989 scores)

However, GB2 score elements simply do not exist. We can't find them at Sony nor does Mr Edelman know where they could be."

So those of you hoping for a complete expansion, looks like one may never come.

:|

That's a really crushing blow... I've been hoping for a release of this for some time now. For such a high profile franchise too!

I really really really want the Elfman to be Sleepy Hollow as it had the least additional material of the entire box, but I think the Fox aspect means it will be PotA. Although LLL is working with Paramount as well.

So I reckon we know 3 of the 4 releases - one Kamen, One Elfman, Jennifer 8 and an unknown fourth title.

Remember that MV said the 4 black friday titles had two "Themes" to them.

I don't know what Jennifer 8 has in common with either Die Hard or Planet of the Apes. Does Jennifer 8 have anything in common with some other score Kamen or Elfman did? It's possible Jennifer Eight isn't coming out until 2012 as well.

I think one of the themes is "Christmas", with Die Hard being one of the "Christmas" titles.

I think Scrooged is a very likely candidate, actually, with the christmas theme dying it to Kamen's Die Hard.

Now we just need to figure out what the other 2 titles are.....