New details on Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Eric_JWFAN

I think you need to see this in person. Photographs can be harmful to these kinds of things anyway, especially when they're taken from distances with zoom functions and in construction zones with workers in hardhats on smoking breaks. Don't even get me started on flash photography on dark rides, which makes the animatronics look freakish and ultra-fake. That tree is probably half a mile away.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to drive to Orlando, cut that tree up with my chainsaw, and drive it back to Pennsylvania to use as firewood. While the CO2 I put into the atmosphere from the combustion of the evil tree will be compounded with that of the saw's engine and the 2,060 miles of driving, it will be quite worth it.

You could get a job at Disney cutting down the trees. But then there's not much left to take out.

http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disney-world-resort/117128-magic-kingdom-tree-massacre.html

The "secret" television commercial scheduled to debut during this Sunday's Super Bowl has leaked. It stars Daniel Radcliffe, but sadly there is no OST music. I think it's safe to say at this point there will be no Williams, which is very sad.

Super Bowl commercial

Well, in all fairness, I think that composer was going more for the stereotypical movie trailer music sound, albeit informed by the notion that celesta = magic = Harry Potter.

But it's true that no one can do Williams like Williams can.

• 2 weeks later...

But seeing Hogwarts castle surrounded by palm fronds and trees is so...wrong.

Just to follow up, it now definitely appears Universal is removing any trees that will mess with the theming and forced perspective.

Here is a pic taken a month ago.

hogwartswithtrees.jpg

And here is a pic from the same spot taken a couple days ago.

hogwartswithouttrees.jpg

Trees are a renewable resource.

I'm actually looking forward to this, despite how little I care about the movies nowadays. The next time I go to Disney a day is going to be set aside to go over to Universal and check this out.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait now there's using John Williams music in the TV commercials for the theme park instead of the generic music we heard before

Wait now there's using John Williams music in the TV commercials for the theme park instead of the generic music we heard before

Where did you see it? What was the commercial like?

I just saw it during a re-run of The Office at 11PM . It was a similar commercial from before (where we see a bit of Dan Radcliffe flying on his broom) but with Harry's Wondrous World and Hedwig's Theme

I just saw it during a re-run of The Office at 11PM . It was a similar commercial from before (where we see a bit of Dan Radcliffe flying on his broom) but with Harry's Wondrous World and Hedwig's Theme

Ah okay. I haven't lost all hope yet, but I am still under the belief that there will be no JW. I'll find out soon enough though.

This is such a shame, as it would have been a gteat oppertunity for J.W. to re-establish himself with all things H.P., before (hopefully) scoring "D.H. Part II".

Agreed, but maybe he doesn't want to? :D

This is such a shame, as it would have been a gteat oppertunity for J.W. to re-establish himself with all things H.P., before (hopefully) scoring "D.H. Part II".

Agreed, but maybe he doesn't want to? :D

Agreed. I don't really think that he will score "D.H. Part II", no matter much I might want him to.

No, because it's not Star Wars so he's not interested.

Seriously, how many Star Wars theme park attractions has Williams scored? I know of, hmm, none.

I didn't say he had. I was hinting that JW always seems to be more interested in the SW Franchise than any other he's been involved with.

Didn't JW "painstakingly re-write" over 2 hours of music for that Star Wars: In Concert malarky? Would he do that for Harry Potter? No. Would he do that for Indiana Jones? No.

I didn't say he had. I was hinting that JW always seems to be more interested in the SW Franchise than any other he's been involved with.

It's also his only six film franchise. I can't say he's as interested in it anymore after how well his music was treated for the first prequel.

The bottom line is that as long as he was alive, there was no way JW was not going to score additional Star Wars movies.

No, because it's not Star Wars so he's not interested.

Seriously, how many Star Wars theme park attractions has Williams scored? I know of, hmm, none.

Didn't JW "painstakingly re-write" over 2 hours of music for that Star Wars: In Concert malarky? Would he do that for Harry Potter? No. Would he do that for Indiana Jones? No.

I don't know, has anyone asked him to? You seem to have a vendetta against Star Wars just because you don't like it and a lot of other people do. As Wojo said, it's the series he's invested most time (and arguably effort) in, it's what made him as a composer in the mainstream. Also, SW is arguably the most popular mainstream musical franchise around. There isn't going to be enough of an audience for an Indy concert, at least not on the same scale, and if they were to do Potter - although I'm not convinced the music is popular enough to warrant the same kind of treatment as SW or even LOTR - he'd potentially have to collaborate with other composers or re-orchestrate music that's not his, which I can't see him doing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay I've heard from a reliable source that they are now playing soundtrack music in the park, and that the Hippogriff roller coaster will have JW's music from PoA. There just might be OST music throughout this place, contrary to what I feared. I am starting to get my hopes up again.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2010/05/wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-preview-party-produces-new-photos-and-details/

Trees look good now.

The Hogwarts frog choir is comprised of live singers with puppets who sing the “Something Wicked This Way Comes” song heard on the third Harry Potter film.

:(

Looks pretty sweet...the castle still looks like a miniature to me in those photos, but it's entirely possible that it's a lot more convincing in person. Sometimes forced perspective just doesn't translate with photography.

Looks pretty sweet...the castle still looks like a miniature to me in those photos, but it's entirely possible that it's a lot more convincing in person. Sometimes forced perspective just doesn't translate with photography.

I think it will look even better at night. And... no more Florida palm trees!

And most importantly, there IS Williams music throughout the place. I was definitely wrong about my prediction on that.

I think I need to drive down there my July 4 vacation week. It'll be horribly crowded but so worth it. Just waiting in line for the ride in the castle looks like one of the coolest experiences ever.

Wow, that looks really cool. I'd love to get a chance to go down there, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I can already see JWfans holding recorders while visiting the park ."I don't want the stupid wand, give me the music that's playing"

Mmmm, yeahhhhh...not really a fan of this. That's a pity, because the idea sounded cool to me. I really like the frogs and costumes, but the arrangements and performance style really aren't doing it for me. No offense to the performers - they've got quite a bit of charisma. But this isn't my thing. Very inconsistent with the world of Harry Potter, even though it's based on music from the films. Would have been better if they'd just stuck with a traditional arrangement of "Double Trouble" (preferably with medieval percussion and recorders), an in-tune version of "The Patronus Light", and perhaps music in the vein of that song being sung in POA, in Hogsmeade. (Better yet...get together a musical troupe comprising recorders, medieval percussion, and string instruments to play "Diagon Alley" from the HP:SS Children's Suite, and new music in the same style. But I know that would never happen.) Trying to make a whole elaborate, contemporary show out of it really doesn't work.

At least the redhead isn't just waving her arms meaninglessly, though. That really would have killed it for me.

That last piece was god awful. I actually moderately enjoyed the others, minus the much too modern beat-boxing. Where does that fit into the Harry Potter universe?

I do appreciate how music-based a lot of the park seems to be. Seems like the right place to be for fans of the Potter soundtracks.

Eh, I thought it was all right for what it was, but screwing with the harmony on Double Trouble was pretty bad. (Have we learned nothing from John Ottman?) I understand you have to simplify it for a quartet, but I think they went too far there.

And were those false arms under the frog pillows? :lol: