Happy Birthday!

Marian Schedenig

Well, now my CD collection is half as old as I am. Someday during the summer of '94, I came across Gerhardt's Star Wars CD. It single-handedly changed and defined my taste in music and made me listen consciously to and care about music. Several weeks later I got my first CD player and bought my first CD:

firstbill.jpg

That was exactly 15 years ago today. And the wonderful thing about is: The great music I came to know back then is still great - and yet I still discover new great music virtually every day.

Here's to another 15 years.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you kept the receipt?!

That's impressive he has managed to keep the receipt for this long. Hell I barely keep receipts as it is. lol

You got into film score music only 15 years ago? I've been into film score music ever since I took band back in junior high.

My CD collection is 17 years old.

I noticed the receipt in the jewel case of my first CD, a couple of years ago.

It was only kept in case there was a problem with the CD.

But it ended up as a marker, it seems.

I believe I only have one CD left from my very first purchase, and that's John Williams & The Boston Pop's We Wish You A Merry Christmas. So that would make it 21 years as far as CDs go.

I believe I only have one CD left from my very first purchase, and that's John Williams & The Boston Pop's We Wish You A Merry Christmas. So that would make it 21 years as far as CDs go.

Yeah, but you're much older. :cool:

My first CD was the single disc Return of the Jedi which I bought in about 1988.

My first soundtrack was the two disk Empire Strikes Back which I got for Christmas in 1980.

My first LP was "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk, which I bought in 1975, at the tender age of 5!

Yes, I'm old. Next birthday will be the big 4-0. Ouch.

I only have like four CD's from my original collection when I still lived in Vegas. The others I have had to re-buy, even then I have not bought all the ones I used to have. I guess that's what I get for being young and stupid back then and not giving a damn about my CD's. These days I do, especially the Limited Edition stuff I buy.

Also my very first CD I remember buying was Star Trek III: The Search For Spock and that was back in 6th grade.

My first CDs were the soundtrack to The Lion King and a Yanni album, received Christmas '94 the same time as we received our first CD player.

My first soundtrack was probably Beauty and the Beast on cassette, though neither of these albums inspired my soundtrack collecting craze. There's a fine line between a childhood fascination with all things Disney, and a more mature advancement into soundtracks not built primarily around songs with goofy lyrics. That came with The Anthology in 1995.

My first scores were Star Treks II and VI on cassette in the late 80s/early 90s, followed by Treks V and Generations, and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (only for the awesome main titles overture). My first CD was the ANH SE, followed by the other two, in late '97/early '98. Then of course my famous Summer of 2000, when I got a hold of anything Williams I could get my grubby mitts on, and the rest is history.

My first score was Jurassic Park on cassette, I believe. I actually found it recently in my house.

I had the Labyrinth song/score album on cassette, but that was a gift, and I hadn't seen the movie either. These days, I have the CD. :)

The first c.d. that I ever bought was Jean Michel Jarre's "Zoolook", in 1986. It was always my favourite J.M.Jarre recording, and it always will be.

The first J.W. c.d., was "Home Alone", in 1990.

The first J.W. soundtrack l.p., was "The Towering Inferno", in 1975, the same year that I bought "Earthquake", "Jaws", and "POTA", my first J.G. l.p., begining a love affair with film music, that, I hope, will never end.

The first anything to do with film music was the 45rpm, 7inch single of "Theme From The Persuaders", which is still John Barry's finest hour (or, rather, 3 minutes)! That "wrong" note played on the bass synthesizer (Arp, Moog, anyone?) during the second half of the track is absolutely priceless.

Well, now my CD collection is half as old as I am. Someday during the summer of '94, I came across Gerhardt's Star Wars CD. It single-handedly changed and defined my taste in music and made me listen consciously to and care about music. Several weeks later I got my first CD player and bought my first CD:

firstbill.jpg

That was exactly 15 years ago today. And the wonderful thing about is: The great music I came to know back then is still great - and yet I still discover new great music virtually every day.

Here's to another 15 years.

Nice Marian. It must have been around the same time that I listened to my first Williams score too (Jurassic Park, rented from the library) :(

My first CD was the single disc Return of the Jedi which I bought in about 1988.

My first soundtrack was the two disk Empire Strikes Back which I got for Christmas in 1980.

My first LP was "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk, which I bought in 1975, at the tender age of 5!

Yes, I'm old. Next birthday will be the big 4-0. Ouch.

Believe me, Pixie, when you get passed 45, you just won't care anymore...

The first soundtrack I got was The Phantom Menace. I think it was a bit after the film had come out, so that'd be in 1999. For some reason I think it was in the fall. So I guess that'd make my collection's 10th birthday be fairly soon.

The CD that sparked my love for soundtrack was By Request, I believe I got that in about 2001.