20th Century Fox Fanfare

Dole

One thing I've always wondered... Alfred Newman composed the studio's fanfare in 1933 (according to wikipedia), and the original King Kong came out the same year. I've always heard a similarity to Newman's fanfare at the opening of Steiner's cue "King Kong March." I was wondering if people who are more knowledgeable about music could tell me whether or not there is a striking similarity or if I'm just hearing things. I was also wondering if anyone knew which was written first, and if there's any evidence of influence or just a coincidence (assuming they're similar). Thank you.

I'm assuming most people here have heard Newman's original fanfare (sans the Cinemascope extension that's tacked on to the logo today and on the RCA Star Wars albums). Steiner's cue opening can be heard at about the 8:20 mark here.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly a similar fanfare. But as far as I know, neither is terribly groundbreaking in the category. (Which isn't to say they're not excellent!) I don't know who copied who, though, or if they were both simply working in the existing idiom and stumbled into very similar musical ideas.