Douglas Trumbull's Big Comeback?

A24

2001 More Reasons To Be Excited For Malick's THE TREE OF LIFE!

Douglass Trumbull, who did the effects of 2001: A Space odyssey, Close Encounters, Blade Runner and who hasn't worked for another director since, might be involved in Terrence Malick's new film called The Tree Of Life. I really missed the guy! Will he go CGI or will he remain old school?

Alex

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw his work on In Search of the Oblisk, it was really poor.

That's one of his theme park works, right? After his own film Brainstorm flopped big time, Douglass Trumbull turned his back on movies altogether and went on to work exclusively for theme parks. Since I have zero interest in theme parks, I hope Terrence Malick can convince the old FX wizard to go back to movies. As to whether he has embraced CGI, I really don't have a clue. Was there any CGI involved in "In Search Of The Obelisk"?

Alex

I've never known you to be so enthused about special effects Alex. :thumbup:

Trumball is a genius though, and I really wanna watch 2001 again soon.

It's a pity Brainstorm flopped, it's certainly a very interesting film, even if it does not entirely work.

I've never known you to be so enthused about special effects Alex. :thumbup:

Trumbull worked on two of my favorite movies. And I love the effects of CE3K. Trumbull helped in the creation some of the most memorable images ever put to screen.

Let's not forget, Silent Running was better than Brainstorm.

Alex

I saw his work on In Search of the Oblisk, it was really poor.

That's one of his theme park works, right? After his own film Brainstorm flopped big time, Douglass Trumbull turned his back on movies altogether and went on to work exclusively for theme parks. Since I have zero interest in theme parks, I hope Terrence Malick can convince the old FX wizard to go back to movies. As to whether he has embraced CGI, I really don't have a clue. Was there any CGI involved in "In Search Of The Obelisk"?

Alex

there was CGI and conventional effects, but considering that the budget was not there to support superior quality.

As you I think his work has always been impressive in movies. I'm sure with the right money he'll produce eye popping results.

In those days, making special effects as good as Trumbull made them was considered an art.

It took an enormous amount of creative thinking and execution to make 2001 look as good as it did, and still does.

Just look at space scenes in movies before 2001? Even in a big budget film like You Only Live Twice they looked like models on strings.

Kubrick, Trumball, Unsworth, etc...etc...rewrote the book on how space should look on film, and did it before man had even landed on the Moon.

Trumbull seemed obsessed with light, its interraction with objects, and how they could produce scale and emotion. Close Encounters was indeed a work of art.

Isn't it a green film?

It is so green that even the LP of the soundtrack was green.

It does have a big flaw in it, but I like it over all.

Isn't it a green film?

It is so green that even the LP of the soundtrack was green.

It does have a big flaw in it, but I like it over all.

One could call it a "green" film. It was certainly one of the very first "eco-pics", with themes that "Medicine" Man" was to continue. Let's not forget that cilmate change-conscious as "Silent Running" was, it was beaten to the screen, by several years, by the marvellous "The Day The Earth caught Fire".

Medicine Man was green?

I thought it was about Sean Connery trying to shag Loraine Bracco in some foliage?

...and more power to him for trying! It has been a (very) long time since I saw this film, but I seem to remember that the camp got destroyed due to deforestation (or something). Like I said, I can't remember everything that went on (apart from the aforementioned shagging), but the score is rather nice.