John Williams has additional composers?

Koray Savas

I don't get it,why does the orchestration topic keep popping up? It's been discussed many times

Your right, we should all stop wasting our time on the subject and get back to discussing all the great new film music out there.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it,why does the orchestration topic keep popping up? It's been discussed many times

Your right, we should all stop wasting our time on the subject and get back to discussing all the great new film music out there.

We would if there were any.

JW pieces would sound almost exactly the same if they were recorded directly from his hand written sketches.

Actually, you wouldn't hear much at all. Those things are hard enough to read as a whole, not to mention if you were trying to sight-read just your own part out of all the mess. But I get your point, and it's true - Williams' sketches contain nearly all the information that's needed to make the music. For the most part, he just has other people to manage the tedious work of translating it into a form that's easier to read and so forth. While synth programming is probably beyond his area of expertise, simply copying sketches out into complete scores and parts certainly isn't.

We would if there were any.

Have a cookie!

I hate having to explain that I'm taking the piss.

While I have no problem with composers having to assign an occasional cue to an assistant or "ghostwriter", I would suggest that everyone find the BBC documentary and watch Williams and Herb Spencer discuss the Mynock cave sequence from TESB.

That should tell just how specific Williams is in his sketches and what he wants.

JW pieces would sound almost exactly the same if they were recorded directly from his hand written sketches.

Actually, you wouldn't hear much at all. Those things are hard enough to read as a whole, not to mention if you were trying to sight-read just your own part out of all the mess.

That could be a funny artyjeffrey comic actually. A bunch of bewildered orchestra musicians standing around, with Williams striding into the center, placing his little sketch on a music stand and saying;

around the sketch, a perimeter create...

While I have no problem with composers having to assign an occasional cue to an assistant or "ghostwriter", I would suggest that everyone find the BBC documentary and watch Williams and Herb Spencer discuss the Mynock cave sequence from TESB.

That should tell just how specific Williams is in his sketches and what he wants.

This is interseting, Mark. Which B.B.C. documentary is this; is it the one shown just before "Empire..." opened in 1980, and is called "The Risk Business"?

Didn't Alexander Courage orchestrate the Superman love theme?

I'm possibly wrong, but what i think i remember is courage talking about superman IV, and how he re-orchestrate the Love theme concert version in a 'flying sequence' cue for the film.

To hell with all these orchestrators. They should all be rounded up and flogged........except little Jimmy Horner.

It is blashphemous even to think that JW would use additional composers. He writes everything himself, his orchestrators are glorified copyists and he even carves out the woodwind instruments and string instruments for his orchestras to play with, casts horns, trumpets and trombones from different metals for his brass players and manufactures the paper on which the sheet music is printed on, kills and bleeds the squids from which the ink for the sheet music notation is manufactured and also furnishes the recording studios with self made superior recording equipment he has carved from magical whale bone. He is self sufficient and self reliant. End of story. Period. Nuff' said!

:)

I'm just reading this now, but...

you win Jay's Gold Start Post of the week (for last week)

stargold.jpg