There Will Be Blood Extended Score

Henry B

Yeah, he was the only one I could (sort of) think of. I dunno why...maybe I'm just too much of an optimist, but I usually need someone in a story who I can side with or at least relate to on some level. When there are few redeeming qualities to be found in the characters, I usually have trouble finding them in the film, too.

I couldn't divide There Will Be Blood into sympathetic and unsympathetic characters. There are sympathetic edges to them all, but the film really revels in how flawed human beings are.

Yeah, he was the only one I could (sort of) think of. I dunno why...maybe I'm just too much of an optimist, but I usually need someone in a story who I can side with or at least relate to on some level. When there are few redeeming qualities to be found in the characters, I usually have trouble finding them in the film, too.

There are aspects of Daniel Plainview's character that I could identify with- like his misanthropic outlook. Not saying this us an admirable quality but I can understand it. Plus I like how the film portrayed organized religion but won't elaborate due to forum rules.

I don't find anything inherently wrong with a film that has slower pacing. It just needs to have an interesting story that really draws me in. For whatever reason, this film failed to do that.

Ohh, I found it a 5 star film. A wonderful exploration of capitalism and ambition. And generally symbolic of society as a whole, with the direction the oil industry is going to take, and it's affect on us (we may end up in a Mad Max like world after it all, who knows).

For this, I consider it one of the best films of the decade.

Characters don't have to be nice or sympathetic. They have to be interesting or intriguing.

Not every character has to be nice or sympathetic, no. (Again with the all-or-nothing attitudes in this thread! :P) I'm just saying that I tend to be put off by films that have none in them. I need someone to be okay.

Disney films? Some of 'em, sure. Depends on the film. I also enjoy Dexter, in which the protagonist is a serial killer whose actions are frequently gruesome and deplorable, yet who manages to be...a sympathetic character.

EDIT: Alex, are you really going to tell me your tastes aren't "limited" to certain types of films as well? :P The only difference is that you react to somewhat different criteria, which isn't my fault - I don't choose what I enjoy.

In the end J.R. Ewing (from Dallas) was a bad, bad, bad person and yet I felt a certain sympathy for him.

EDIT: Alex, are you really going to tell me your tastes aren't "limited" to certain types of films as well?

That's exactly what I'm saying, Datameister. Like you, I love characters that get to you on an emotional level (Rocky, Shawshank Redemption, E.T., Midnight Cowboy, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Tootsie, etc.) but I also enjoy characters on an intellectual level (Citizen Kane, Raging Bull, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Fight Club, Lost Highway, Barry Lyndon, There Will Be Blood, etc.).

Alex

• 3 years later...

A quick look at Nonesuch Records' http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/there-will-be-blood-soundtrack'>web site shows that the three digital bonus tracks are still available. The Pärt and Brahms pieces are available on commercial recordings. As for the stuff I ripped from the DVD? It's... around...