The Official 2012 Thread

MSM

Star Trek overall grade C

direction, B, Abrams manages a very good cast, who are enthusiastic, and become their characters.

writing, F, the story is terrible, the reboot makes little sense, and the plot holes are larger than a Dyson sphere.

set design, C, A for the bridge, F- for the engineering sections

music, C, not terrible, but not outstanding, the best part was by Alexander Courage.

acting, A-, The casting was dead on, except for Eric Bana, he's a weak link

visual effect, C, not special, not bad, but not Oscar winning quality.

continuity, F-, Nero's ear keeps going from pointed to cropped to pointed again.

biggest gaffe: Spock watching Vulcan be destroyed by the black hole. Vulcan is closer than our own moon, yet he's lightyears away.

It's very clear this Star Trek universe is clearly technologically less advanced.

Its time to bring back some continuous phaser fire.

Didn't you call it brilliant just a few months ago?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahahaha, I finally saw 2012 a few nights ago. You know what? It was fun. It was totally stupid for the most part, but I'll be darned if that wasn't the most convincing CGI I've seen since Davy Jones graced the screen in the second Pirates, and since I went into the film expecting nothing more than a silly ride, I really enjoyed it on its own terms. The whole family did, in fact. Not much in the way of profundity or depth, and there were certainly some plot holes and instances of very wooden acting, but...like I said, it was fun. I wasn't expecting anything more than that from a movie like this.

Now the whole Star Trek vs. 2012 debate makes a lot more sense to me. I'd say 2012 takes the prize for sheer realism - at least in theaters, there were a fair number of moments that looked CGI-ish to me in Star Trek, whereas 2012 had a very unsettling lack of those sorts of moments. But Star Trek is so artistic with its VFX...there are so many shots that go for a gorgeous hyperrealism that's nowhere to be found in 2012. Anyway, consider me impressed with both.

Why is this thread being polluted with constant talk about Star Trek? isn't there already a fucking thread for it?

I want to read about 2012 dammit!

I liked the film, for what it is.

Why is this thread being polluted with constant talk about Star Trek? isn't there already a fucking thread for it?

No, but we have a fair number of normal threads about it.

I want to read about 2012 dammit!

I liked the film, for what it is.

We're doing it just to annoy you.