The Official Abel Korzeniowski thread

Neimoidian

I know it's a long shot, but imagine that film being Diana!! I would be thrilled!! He was my first choice for this film.

And still I don't see any composer credit in imdb, although we had heard the news about Rachel Portman.

I asked him about the title, too, but he didn't tell. There is no news on it on his agency's web page either, so it's highly possible it's a substitute score. This is good, because he may finally get a top-profile project which is essential to boost his career. I only wish he wasn't type-casted for sublime lyrical scores, because he can also write grand and bold music.

Exciting news in any case! Let's hope the film will be revealed as soon as possible. :)

I have been listening to Kaas Chante Piaf for a couple of days and Abel's arrangements for the songs are generally stupendous. Some of them are very unexpected, like very dramatic rendition of La vie en rose (this one is a little overdone for my taste, though). There are also two original instrumental pieces written especially for this project - The 9th Hour and Song for a little Sparrow. As usual, both are brilliant.

Here is official clip from the album.

This sounds to me like writing a substitute score for a film that its original score was rejected.

Absolutely correct. It turns out that Abel Korzeniowski has replaced none other than JAMES HORNER for Romeo and Juliet!!

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/07/11/abel-korzeniowski-scoring-carlo-carleis-romeo-juliet/

Horner already recorded his score last year, and there have been screenings of the film with Horner's score in place. Check out this FSM thread, where a member who has seen the film discusses Horner's score!

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=92203&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=696#bottom

Wow!

Here's a trailer for the film BTW

In either case, I'm excited for the new score.

But I'd like to hear the old one. Who knows? Maybe Horner gets to release an album at some point.

Karol

He was rejected several times in the 80s.

Really? I knew he did several replacement scores in the 1980s, but I'm not that well-versed in Horner's canon. And I wouldn't count Horner's The New World score as completely rejected, as portions of it were still used and he got credited on the film.

He was thrown off STREETS OF FIRE; YOUNG GUNS and HEAVEN HELP US. Either way, it seems like studio madness to fire a prestige composer with a keen eye for temporary audiences and set another composer on a rush job to do a fundamentally better score. I'm sure the Horner works, even if it's cribbing country.

This sounds to me like writing a substitute score for a film that its original score was rejected.

Absolutely correct. It turns out that Abel Korzeniowski has replaced none other than JAMES HORNER for Romeo and Juliet!!

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/07/11/abel-korzeniowski-scoring-carlo-carleis-romeo-juliet/

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! :eek:

I expect the best!

Wow, that's crazy! Abel is sure to deliver some beautiful stuff (although I was looking forward to Horner's). I just hope it'll stray away from the minimalistic sound of W.E. and A Single Man.

This would be a perfect spot for a Prokofiev comment but I'll let it go.

Maybe the director, studios, producers didn't want to hear a rehash of previous works.Or maybe the film is awful and they are trying to fix it.

The fact they didn't replace him with a Zimmer clone is a positive sign.

This would be a perfect spot for a Prokofiev comment but I'll let it go.

Perhaps he was rejected because he for once did NOT put Prokofiev's Tybalt stuff in his score?

The funny thing is James Horner in turn replaced Patrick Cassidy on this one. Which I was really disappointed to hear because Cassidy is a great composer and I'd love to see him break into film more.

I guess Abel is going to get replaced by Zimmer on Romeo and Juliet, huh?

That would be great. His ostinato-driven music can bring some real emotion and intensity to this new version of Shakespeare, something that is obviously beyond Abel's and James' realm of comprehension.

Karol

At the end of April 2013, I was asked to write an alternate musical score for the new adaptation of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, starring Hailee Steinfeld and Douglas Booth, directed by Carlo Carlei, with a screenplay by Julian Fellowes (Downton Abbey), produced by Amber Entertainment, Swarovski Entertainment Ltd and Echo Lake Pictures.

The score was recorded at Warner Bros. Eastwood Scoring Stage in Los Angeles on June 25-28 with a 67-piece orchestra, a choir and a soprano Tamara Bevard. The violin and piano solos were performed by Roger Wilkie and Randy Kerber (both of whom worked with me on A Single Man).

I am pleased to inform you, that as of today, my score has been accepted.

A minute ago, from Korzeniowski's facebook.

wow.. Choir, soprano.....

Can't wait to hear that score!

I've read and heard rumors that the film tested poorly and required re-shoots / editing. Horner either didn't want to or was unavailable to re-write.

I've read and heard rumors that the film tested poorly and required re-shoots / editing. Horner either didn't want to or was unavailable to re-write.

Ending not happy enough for Hollywood?

As I said, it's rumors.

He could have easily been rejected because they (studio heads, directors, producers) didn't like his score. Or it could have been one of things that tested poorly.

But we've seen in the past when a film tests poorly, the score is usually the first thing to go.

I'd like to hear it, though.

I know, I know. I've heard it before.

But I'd like to hear it anyway.

Karol

:lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

He's been posting about it on Facebook for a while. Would love to hear it.

And the video doesn't work Jason.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Still, it's weird seeing "KK" in there :P

Anyways, great interview Karol! Really liked the questions you asked, and we got some neat answers!