JW and Titanic

Quintus

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_%28soundtrack%29

No mention of JW's [lack of] involvement on the worlds greatest and most factual encyclopaedia. So once more time, what ARE the facts?

It's in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Titanic-Making-James-Cameron-Three-Year/dp/1557043655

Cameron basically wanted a big name composer and was looking at Williams but his schedule wouldn't allow him the time and Horner was represented by the same agency.

1997 certainly was a busy year from Williams.

If Titanic had kept to its original release date of July 2, it would have been tough for him to find time after just completing Rosewood (released Feb 21) and The Lost World (released May 23)

Once it was pushed back to Dec 19, you'd think he would have had time, but he was already committed to Seven Years In Tibet (released Oct 8) and Amistad (released Dec 10)

Tell me, is that book a good one?

I've got the first print edition of this book (black cover with empty directors chair in water-filled dining room) and don't think there was anything in there I didn't already know. For such a huge project that it was I was surprised the book wasn't longer but it was an interesting book at the same time.

Horner had to quickly compose a new score after James Cameron rejected John's score. Next to John's Color Purple score his Titanic score is the most rare to get ahold of.

Pity i only have this bootleg in 112 KBPS mp3.

I once saw the DVD-Audio version in a store but I had no interest in the format. I was a SACD fan.

Alex

I was told it's in the style of 'Far And Away'.

The whole film Titanic is actually modeled closely on Far and Away.

James Cameron temped Titanic with a lot of the score from Far and Away. (This is all in the book). He approached Williams' agents, but was told he is not available at that time, was working on The Lost World.

Cameron had also used some tracks by Enya in the temp score, so approached Enya for a score. She said no, she doesn't do film scores.

It just so happened that Cameron and Horner randomly met around this time, and Horner convinced Cameron to let him score the film. They kissed and made up for their past problems.

I was told it's in the style of 'Far And Away'.

The whole film Titanic is actually modeled closely on Far and Away.

James Cameron temped Titanic with a lot of the score from Far and Away. (This is all in the book). He approached Williams' agents, but was told he is not available at that time, was working on The Lost World.

Cameron had also used some tracks by Enya in the temp score, so approached Enya for a score. She said no, she doesn't do film scores.

It just so happened that Cameron and Horner randomly met around this time, and Horner convinced Cameron to let him score the film. They kissed and made up for their past problems.

I have always thought already Horner was inspired by Williams' County Galway for his pan flute solos.

Yep, that's what they play in South America. It's from the sequel Farther And Way Away. Another Williams score that is only available on bootleg, so I guess we now know what MSM spends his money on.

Alex

There are no pan flutes in Titanic i believe.

MSM must be talking about the shakacuchi...thingie.

No I don't mean the shakuhachi but also not pan flute...penny whistle it is I think.