Alan Silvestri's A Christmas Carol

TownerFan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds really great! I hope Silvestri gets an Oscar nomination for this... But it he doesn't win any in the next decades, we can expect he gets a similar to that one that the Academy gave to Morricone.

I don't know about the score, but going by the trailers this looks to be a right mess of a bastardization of Dickens' classic tale.

Is A Christmas Carol the most made/remade story in film history?

It's possible. The next unit in my film and lit class is A Christmas Carol, and I have to watch 5 of the versions by Monday. That ain't happening, I'm most likely going to only see the Muppet one cause my friend owns it.

It's possible. The next unit in my film and lit class is A Christmas Carol, and I have to watch 5 of the versions by Monday. That ain't happening, I'm most likely going to only see the Muppet one cause my friend owns it.

FORGET THE MUPPETS and watch the Alistair Sim version-truely magical!

This is my personal favorite version.

mickeyschristmascarol1thumb.jpg

But these clips sound nice. Hard to talk "Oscar" with a bunch of 30 second soundbytes, but it sounds like it will be a good addition to the repertoire of holiday-themed soundtracks.

Yes, the Red X production of A Christmas Carol was a really good version. :)

I'm quite fond of the George C. Scott and Patrick Stewart versions. Someday I would really like to see a solo performance of it like Dickens used to do (which is how Patrick Stewart ended up doing a film version of it). Preferably by Simon Callow. :ola:

I'm most likely going to only see the Muppet one cause my friend owns it.

That's all right, that's the best one. At least it doesn't try to borrow the book's spirit by rehashing its scenes.

Well it's not serious, because it's motion capture and it's Jim Carrey flying around screaming for 90 minutes (this I gather from the trailer). In other words, it looks awful. May as well watch Ghosts Of Girlfriends Past.

I dunno...I think they're really trying to play up the frenetic elements here, but I think there's gonna be some good serious bits. The climax and finale sound pretty doggone genuine--the 30 seconds a cue that I heard, anyway. It looks gorgeous, and I think there's potential. I'm planning on going to see it. (Count me among those waiting for Zemeckis's next live action film, though).

Yes, the Red X production of A Christmas Carol was a really good version. :(

I'm quite fond of the George C. Scott and Patrick Stewart versions. Someday I would really like to see a solo performance of it like Dickens used to do (which is how Patrick Stewart ended up doing a film version of it). Preferably by Simon Callow. ;)

I haven't seen the George C. Scott version in some time, and I'm less familiar with the Patrick Stewart (need to dig that recording up). The former is actually rather creepy--Marley was downright scary, and the two children revealed by the Ghost of Christmas Present (shame on me for not being familiar enough to recall what he called them) were pretty disturbing, at least from my young perspective.

I'll be chatting with Silvestri about this as well as past assigments for the Dec issue of FSM, so if there are any questions you would like asked please post them here. :(

The sound clips do sound very promising and the movie does look enjoyable!

I recently re-watched a acouple of underrated Zemeckis gems, Contact & Castaway and must re-watch What Lies Beneath whilst I think of it.

I'll be chatting with Silvestri about this as well as past assigments for the Dec issue of FSM, so if there are any questions you would like asked please post them here. :(

Me me me! (Raises hand desperatly)

Something that intrigues me: How did he felt having to do a Pirates of the Caribbean mock-up in Night at the Museum 2 in "Escape in Wright Flyer"?

And if you can, having him to whistle what he had composed for POTC ;)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ask him if he has been asked to do PREDATORS, or whether he's actively pursuing the job...

And if he hasn't heard anything, what direction would he approach the Predator homeworld with? I loved his other two Predator scores...

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see any discussion of this one. It's now available via digital download.

I'm quite impressed with the score and was wondering if anyone else here has heard it.

I have. I think it's amazing, one of Silvestri's best works. The orchestrations are beautiful and I specially like the main theme and "God Bless us Everyone". I think I've never been so inspired and emotioned by a theme since the Jurassic Park Theme (aka "The Dinosaurs").

Finally Silvestri's back! :(

It's a gorgeous score; the best from Silvestri in a while (a big achievement in a year saturated by Silvestri). The intertwining of Silvestri's material and the Christmas carols is great (and those who think the carols are tiresome should recheck what score they think they're listening to!). This is a score I would have really liked to have on CD, but oh well, that doesn't denigrate the music at all - if you like Silvestri and if you enjoy Christmas scores this is definitely one for you.

I enjoy it more than Polar Express; of course PE didn't have the benefit of an official release. It feels more vibrant to me and much more in the spirit of Christmas (the religious undertones in the choral work of A Christmas Carol extends the meaning of the tale, where Polar Express was a more flashy affair).

Oh and I've just gotten back from seeing the film, I really enjoyed it and found it to be a superb adaptation, maybe too much so since it was at times too frightening for some of the kids in the audience. It certainly beats both of Bob Zemeckis' previous mo-cap films.

Posted my initial thoughts in another thread, but I agree, it's a really good Christmas score and the carol intertwining is masterful - I welcomed them warmly and they definitely give the score something that Polar Express didn't have.

Album purchased after only about 4 listens :(

The main problem with Polar Express for me was that the non-action parts are just the main theme performed over and over, generally speaking

Nope. I bought it yesterday digitally on that assumption

I'm hopeful though, that with digital only distribution, the reuse fees system will better reflect the incremental fashion of sales, and make more music releasable.

I just listened to this. Wow. I haven't heard such a good Silvestri's score since Van Helsing...

For me, Van Helsing was the point when Silvestri went mediocre. Not that he was ever particularly brilliant...

Karol

I just listened to this. Wow. I haven't heard such a good Silvestri's score since Van Helsing...

For me, Van Helsing was the point when Silvestri went mediocre. Not that he was ever particularly brilliant, to be honest...

Karol

Van Helsing wasn't brilliant, but definitely was entertaining. Since then his scores had simply become boring. I didn't like neither Nights in Museum, nor Beowulf, not to mention other ones. Finally, after all these years his score is entertaining again.

For me, Van Helsing was the point when Silvestri went mediocre. Not that he was ever particularly brilliant...

Karol

For whatever reason i always liked Van Helsing. It's excessive (that bassdrum!) but it's great fun.

Karol

For whatever reason i always liked Van Helsing. It's excessive (that bassdrum!) but it's great fun.

For me it sounds like the same cue, all over again. Which was probably the point, I guess.

Karol

Saw the 3-D version of the movie earlier tonight. Fantastic. A worthy nomination of Best Animated Feature at next years Oscar and dare I say it, a nomination of Silvestri in Best Score and Best Song. His music in the movie was absolutely marvellous but then again I am a sucker for Christmas music. I hope he wins. He's way long overdue recognition from the Academy.

The movie:

-Jim Carrey was playing himself with a side of Mr.Scrooge (instead of the opposite).

-it was a bit emotionally shallow.

-the score was decent to good.

-The Muppet version is still the best!

I had a couple hours to kill today so I went to see this based solely on the strength of the score. I was actually annoyed at how much I liked the movie. It certainly isn't the best rendition of A Christmas Carol (or even among the top 2 or 3) but far worse have been made. The thing that struck me was how uneven the movie was. Some scenes were brilliant in every way whereas others were awkwardly superfluous or horrendously animated. There was also a tendency to STOP EVERYTHING and remind the audience they're watching a 3D movie with zooming fly-bys or some such. For the most part, however, the 3D effects were very well done and a few of the gimmicks were pretty darn cool to look at. The voice acting was superb, although I still question Carrey as the elder Scrooge. I settled into his voice eventually but thanks to the MoCap, Scrooge would occasionally do a very Jim Carrey-esque movement. In fact the happier Scrooge got the more his movements became Jim Carry in Liar Liar or Ace Ventura. A bit distracting to say the least...

I also couldn't help thinking that this elderly Scrooge has titanium hips given he takes one hard fall after another. A lesser gentlemen's hips would have snapped like graham crackers a dozen times over.

Obviously the score is fantastic. The weaving of Christmas Carols through just about every single cue was a really nice touch and the handful of new themes by Silvestri are great. There aren't a lot of Christmas scores that really pull off the exuberance and chear of the season and this one hits it note perfect. The only thing about the score that I didn't like was during some of the more terrifying moments (especially during the horse & buggy chase) the music played against the scares and tried to go a little lighter and wackier with the tone. I'm guessing that was a last minute attempt to make things slightly less frightening, but it felt like a bad decision. Come to think of it, that whole horse & buggy chase sequence was a bad decision.

• 2 weeks later...

there seem to be some good unreleased music

And I'm not sure the End Credits in the film is the same as the song on the album .The film version seemed much more bombastic

K.M.Who thought the movie was fun

I like its fusion of classic Christmas tunes and original music. I think The Mummy Returns is Silvestri's most unique score, though, its combination of the Middle East, choir, and orchestra is so terrific and one of the best examples of the genre.

• 2 weeks later...

His Lara Croft score was incredibly mediocre.

For him, yes it was a bit generic, but I still like it. Bear in mind the probably terrible film and that he was a last minute replacement.

I think he went overboard with "Hark the Herald..." in Touch My Robe, but I like the other carol renditions. Only other niggle I have (without seeing the film) is that the opening titles are a bit of a mish-mash, constantly jumping from theme-to-carol-to-underscore-to-carol. Just when he starts playing one, it tails off and plays something else. Not cohesive enough IMO.

Saw the film this evening...I really have trouble getting a handle on 3D filmmaking. Not sure why. I thought the film was a decent retelling of the Dickens tale. Looked good. The 3D was good, although, of course, it was too dark, and can be very annoying when not in Imax. I just don't know what to think of this, of how cinematic it is, where Zemeckis comes into it, aside from the technology (Is there anything left of early Zemeckis?). The score was fine. I thought there were far too many traditional Christmas carols in there. I like Christmasy music, but I found it distracting and distancing and too schmaltzy. Silvestri hasn't excited me in a very long time, and this didn't change that.

I don't know. I liked the film. But something about it felt incredibly tossed off and disinterested, which is a strange reaction to have to a film that obviously took a tremendous amount of time and effort, and was made with great skill and care (at least in its technical details).

His Lara Croft score was incredibly mediocre.

For him, yes it was a bit generic, but I still like it. Bear in mind the probably terrible film and that he was a last minute replacement.

You speak the truth, but his score could have been SO MUCH BETTER without the electronic beating/rhythm lines heard through 90% of the score.

Gave this a listen today. The main theme seems to be a re-working of Good King Wenceslas, which isn't a bad thing. It makes this feel very steeped in the traditional carols. It's hard not to be humming the theme after only one listen, so I'd say it was successful. I liked it very much overall, and am happy to add it to my collection of Christmas themed soundtracks.