Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Quality.

That back cover looks like the 1980's though

It's Naxos. They are not going to change their style now when they have been doing the same visual format for ages.

I own the old Marco Polo version and it is visually nearly identical (except with light green background) although this Naxos version contains an additional piece (the trailer music) at the end. Interestingly the CD clocks 82 minutes too!

I own the old Marco Polo version and it is visually nearly identical (except with light green background) although this Naxos version contains an additional piece (the trailer music) at the end. Interestingly the CD clocks 82 minutes too!

I have the DVD which always included the trailer music and lists a runtime of 82:43.

I have the DVD which always included the trailer music and lists a runtime of 82:43.

Well yes, naturally. It's a DVD. I wonder what miraculous leap in CD technology made them add the trailer music on the Naxos CD. But all this talk reminds me that I have to take another listen to this score and some other Korngold scores.

They've extended the maximum length of a regular audio CD a couple of times over the years. 74 used to be the limit, then it was increased to 78 (though I'm not sure they ever amended the actual red book standard), and now it's even longer.

There's always been a CD release of this as well, and that one was missing the trailer cue because of length issues. So it really is an addition to the Naxos re-release.

Ever since I switched to playing my music from FLACs on my server, I've been wondering if I should get the CD as well. Simply because it's easier to rip - I still haven't found a clean way to have my player and amp deal with varying frequencies, so everything I play back this way is 44.1 kHz. I'd have to rip and downsample the DVD.

There are CD-Rs that can hold up to 90 minutes of music, but the burner must be compatible, to be able to write beyond the safe zone. This has existed for many years now and it works great.

Only over 80 minute CD I own is the complete recording of Tchaikovski's Nutcracker Ballet on a single disc by Valery Gergiev and the Kirov Theater Orchestra that runs 81 minutes (they actually advertise it on the cover!).

I don't remember all the edits that I made, but I actually trimmed Pink Floyd's The Wall to fit a single CD-R for a colleague before he had an MP3 player.

MP3 from the JW 1957 album "The Johnny Williams Orchestra Plays Sounds from Screen Spectaculars", also known as "Bigs Hits from Columbia Pictures" (1958), reissued in 1996 "Movie Memories (Big Hits)", Simitar/Pickwick.

R-3467588-1349416868-8114.jpeg.jpg

Also, The live recording "Music from Angela's Ashes" (recorded August 5, 2000), released in 2012 by the BSO and available directly on the Tanglewood web site.

Link to purchase the mp3: http://www.bso.org/Merchandise/Detail/44877

I don't remember all the edits that I made, but I actually trimmed Pink Floyd's The Wall to fit a single CD-R for a colleague before he had an MP3 player.

You'd only have to remove like one song to make it fit

But that's not what I did. There's a lot of silence throughout out the album that is important, but if your goal is to speed up the pace, dead air can go.

A couple new acquisitions:

Iron Man. So now I have all of the Marvel Studios scores.

Also picked up The River on vinyl for cheap. I'm slowly starting to build a JW collection on vinyl, mostly from clearance shelf finds. So while I don't have any Star Wars or Indiana Jones, I do have things like Not With My Wife, You Don't! and Yes, Giorgio.

Cor blimey! Looks like I was just in time to snatch the FSM Ben-Hur boxed set couple of weeks ago. It is now OOP!

Picking it up from the post office today. :)

My physical copy of Tomorrowland arrived yesterday!

Jurassic World should be here today.

Yes. I buy every new album by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, and James Horner as soon as they go up for pre-order, without needing to listen first. Those are the only composers I do that for.

I have awarded that honor only to John Williams.

I have awarded that honor to no one.

Andy Price would have gotten it if he had composed any more music.

I admire those who blind buy everything they want to, right when they are released.

In my case, I have a limited budget for music and movies... A good one, but still controled, and so many many many passions (Classical music, Jazz, Chanson, Oldies, Soundtracks, etc.) so it's clearly impossible for me to follow the flow.

So I proceed by wave of purchases and by catching up!

Home Alone, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Star Wars Trilogy: The Original Soundtrack Anthology, Sabrina, Raiders of the Lost Ark (1995 release), E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1996 release), Seven Years in Tibet, The Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition Ep. IV-V-VI (1997), The Lost World, Star Wars Ep I-II-III, HP & The Sorcerer stone, are the only JW soundtracks I bought right after their release, but always after seeing, and liked, the movies.

I blind buy any Williams and Giacchino. I don't know if I would necessarily buy every Giacchino album if I started today (although I've enjoyed every one so far), but when I began, it was just a few videogame and TV scores...

Usual praise Giacchino gets heaped on him by his directors. Nothing about the themes, like in the Tomorrowland booklet.

So does it contain 20 tracks only then?

I bought it and it shipped today (along with Pas De Deux). Might arrive tomorrow. I got a separate order for Age of Ultron. And also ordered both Up and Tomorrowland off Intrada (given that it doesn't seem to be available to order in the UK). Inside Out I will order tomorrow or sometime early next week.

Karol

The Jurassic World OST is exactly the same whether you buy it physically or digitally. 24 tracks. That old Screen Archives listing - which got proliferated to other sites - was clearly in error. Maybe some kind of early promo version they were sent, or something.

I was hoping it would contain those rumoured 23 tracks and the digital version would contain 20 of those plus extra four source pieces.

I don't know why I thought that. ;)

Karol

It's possibly the "extra" cues originally listed are in fact on the current OST, simply combined with another cue, and the track name only lists one of the cues inside.

Seeing the film might help with that.

Got my Pas De Deux and Jurassic World just now! :)

And, in the the spirit of "Giacchino/film composer concert music" buying trend, I placed yet another order for Inside Out and Goldenthal's Symphony in G Sharp Minor - Pacific Symphony.

Karol

So after purchasing the following last week:

Empire of the Sun (LLL)

Heidi (Quartet)

The Poseidon Adventure (LLL)

Rosewood (LLL)

Black Sunday (FSM)

None But The Brave (FSM)

Family Plot (Varese Sarabande)

My Williams CD collecting renaissance continues. Picked up two more that I woefully skipped on the first time around (and in one case, the first two times around)

1941 (LLL)

Home Alone (LLL)

Depends on what you mean by big bucks. I didn't spend much on the CDs when you separate them individually. They obviously added up because I purchased a bunch at the same time.

The Poseidon Adventure was the most expensive, but it wasn't outrageous.

One of the most important and frustrating JW releases of all time!

Because It still miss some music?

Not the complete scores, questionable sound quality, album edits, old interviews rather than additional music, Disc 5 is only 52 minutes in length, not the complete scores, poor packaging, pathetic liner notes, some would say just-released Crystal Skull OST almost everyone already bought recycled into set, not the complete scores.

Not the complete scores, questionable sound quality, album edits, old interviews rather than additional music, Disc 5 is only 52 minutes in length, not the complete scores, poor packaging, pathetic liner notes, some would say just-released Crystal Skull OST almost everyone already bought recycled into set, not the complete scores.

Well, sound quality... that's old material. Interviews, I don't care, Liner notes, I don't care. :-)

And thank god, I don't have this disease of "wanting everything"!

Now I only have the 1995 Raiders CD and the Skull one, so that'll do it (instead of buying the original CDs for the two others movies)!