Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Yes, War Horse is among my Top 125 of John Williams. :)

EDIT: I just ordered it on Amazon.ca, With Lincoln. Afer all, it's Canada Day!

Just bought these two mp3 on iTunes:

- Over The Rainbow (We'll Paint You a Rainbow, Conducted by John Williams, 2013)
- Schindler's List Theme (The Glenn Dicterow Collection, Composed and conducted by John Williams; New York Philharmonic, Live, 2014)

Decided to grab 5 titles from LLL I didn't have yet thanks to their free shipping offer

24983.jpg20307.gif28799.jpg28019.jpg29126.jpg

Sadly Sum of All Fears and Patriot Games are Out Of Stock right now or I would have gotten them too

Haven't updated this in way too long again, and no point in catching it up. I'll just post my newest batch instead:

A Brief History of Time (Philip Glass)

The Ghost and the Darkness (Goldsmith)

Warlock (Goldsmith)

Maleficent (JNH)

Les Misérables (Poledouris)

Return to Oz (Shire)

Judge Dredd (Silvestri)

Had the Poledouris for many years on CDR and finally found a used copy for a normal price. SAE shipped the original pressing of Judge Dredd along with a sleeved replacement CD for disc 1.

I'll never forget the fact that the track times are all way off for Les Misérables' 4 cues. When I first bought the CD back in the 90s, I thought it was a 70 minute album. Yes indeed, way off !

Did you order Judge Dredd after the replacement disc had been made available? Does that mean I get both discs 1 if I order it now from SAE?

I ordered it before the problem was known. It took a couple of weeks until they shipped my order. Partly because they were waiting for the replacement disc I suppose.

Two great classical Kunzel to add to my collection!

Pops Plays Puccini / Kunzel, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

33931.JPG

Ein Straussfest / Kunzel, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

14361.JPG

Man, that's an awful cover.

It's an awful movie and unfortunately the CD cover does follow suit. But as in many cases bad cover ruineth not good music.

Ja, i remember it being projected on bed sheets in a summer camp when i was 8 or 9. Every damn evening! Could recite orchestration details from the Widow's web sequence from there on.

Its certainly enjoyable.

Once! Then never again!

It is such a hodgepodge of all kind of fantasy clichés rolled into one with silly effects and a clunky plot and that whole glaive business in general. I know it was consciously trying to tap into the sci-fi/fantasy of Star Wars-kind but it just felt awkward and in places plain bad. I remember watching it with a friend and we followed in growing embarrasment how this silliness unfolded.

Is it worse than The Hobbit?

Yes. Krull never had something as good as Bilbo or Gandalf in it. And even the effects are a fraction better I think.

It is such a hodgepodge of all kind of fantasy clichés rolled into one with silly effects and a clunky plot and that whole glaive business in general. I know it was consciously trying to tap into the sci-fi/fantasy of Star Wars-kind but it just felt awkward and in places plain bad. I remember watching it with a friend and we followed in growing embarrasment how this silliness unfolded.

Sigh...

But the music man... the music! Doesn't it counterbalance the embarrassing silliness?

In some scenes the music actually works against whats going on on the screen.

Some of the opening stuff, the movie itself starts rather ominous, with the Fortress slowly travelling through space. The music feels like its scoring something completely differently.

Further along there's a scene where the hero climbs a mountain. The scene itself suggests suspense and danger, but Horner just swashbuckles through it.

In some scenes the music actually works against whats going on on the screen.

Some of the opening stuff, the movie itself starts rather ominous, with the Fortress slowly travelling through space. The music feels like its scoring something completely differently.

Further along there's a scene where the hero climbs a mountain. The scene itself suggests suspense and danger, but Horner just swashbuckles through it.

It should compliment a film rather then reinforce what is already there.

Hmmm...

I've never seen Krull either. Kinda of want to one day, but also...... eh. I guess its not a priority.

Horners music at times works against the film. Rather then either complimenting or, or just replicating whats already going on on the screen.

It's like he scored something completely different.

Well in his mind he scored a total masterpiece, a classic film that would break all records, win tons of awards and transport its actors into stardom and everlasting fame.

Lucky for us he didn't quite know what he was composing for. :D

I prefer the font of the title next to the glaive on the Super Tracks release.

3105.jpg

Agreed. I remember when I bought this, back in 1999, on the very same day that I went to the JG 70th birthday concert, at The Barbican.

I blanched when I saw the price (£50), but I bought it, anyway.