Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

alphabetically by composer, within that chronological by the order he wrote the damn things.

alpha by title... wtf?

I sort my ripped albums by genre, then by artist, then the folders are chronological. My CDs are extremely disorganized, in boxes in three bedrooms across a house and apartment. I won't try to sort them until I buy a house and then thin the herd.

alphabetically by composer, within that chronological by the order he wrote the damn things.

alpha by title... wtf?

Wtf? Is it so hard to comprehend why alphabetical is the most sensual way to organize anything?

alpha by title... wtf?

Wtf? Is it so hard to comprehend why alphabetical is the most sensual way to organize anything?

Yeah man!

alpha by title... wtf?

Yeah man!

:lol:

To each their own!

I ran out of shelf space anyway so my CDs are just being stacked in the order that I've been buying them.

alpha by title... wtf?

Sensual. Of or arousing gratification of the senses and physical, especially sexual, pleasure.

Outstanding.

Sensical.

Alphabetical order sorted composer and title, that is the only logical way to catalogue music. THE ONLY WAY!

Except my collection begins with W as in Williams.

Yea I also have Williams before all other composers.

I actually have Williams, then Elfman, Giacchino, Goldsmith, Horner, then all other composers.

My librarian mindset would find the chronological order too strange. It is not a discography after all, at least not on my shelf.

But I do understand the idea behind that. C&C, right. ;)

In the case of multiple versions of the same score I usually follow the chronology of those releases, e.g. E.T. 1982 OST, 1996 expanded, 2002 expanded.

alpha by title... wtf?

Sensual. Of or arousing gratification of the senses and physical, especially sexual, pleasure.

Outstanding.

Sensical.

Autocorrect.

My classical collection is not stored chronologically or by album's name, just sorted by composer.

And for John Williams, the scores are separated from the BPO albums and the compilations.

11884683_1154661344549701_85246990990302

11942151_1154668344549001_18965002412875

I organize my CDs by composer, chronologically, using their birthdates. If two (or more) composers were born the same year, then I organize them alphabetically. Then for each composer, I organize the CDs by label. Then for each label, I organize the CDs by their spines (regrouping the spines that match). Then, in each "spine group", I organize the CDs by title.

Composer.

Label.

Spine.

Title.

It is the only way.

Do you mean by spines matching that they are of the same colour or that they are of say Sony classical albums with same design in the spine?

Nothing fancy here

Alphabetically by composer

Alphabetically by album title

Compilations (exclusive to the composer) I put before their first album.

Compilations (various) are in a totally different section

Not according to spine color or anything like that. So all the old Varèse are mixed with the new ones and other labels.

It's not pretty but it's for my eyes only... :)

It's not pretty but it's for my eyes only... :)

The only goal is that it looks pretty, hey I never listen these CDs!

Well I do ! I don't care how they're organized, it's what's on the disc that counts.

Scores are organized by Williams first, then all other composers alphabetical, and within those sections the year of movie release.

For classical I sort by composer and the category/size of work going from chamber music to orchestral. For example, if it's Beethoven, I start with solo piano and progress through violin sonatas, string quartets, concertos, symphonies....

I'm fairly sure you are the proudest man on the block when you're looking at your meticulously organized collection.

Me, I'm just proud to own the music.

Me too.

I still get funny looks when I tell people what type of music I like. Well hey I blame my passion of music when I took band in junior high.

I have to be in the mood to listen to other genre IE: Rock and such but it's rare that I am. I could listen to film scores all day long.

I generally don't tell anyone what music I enjoy listening to, unless they really insist. Quite frankly, it's none of their business, and most people don't quite know what to picture when you mention film music anyway.

I don't really care much about the organization of my meager lot of CDs. What does concern me, though, is the organization of my digital collection of audio and sheet music.

In both of those categories, in the case of film, television and video game music, everything is first sorted alphabetically by surname of the composer (e.g. WAXMAN, Franz, WILLIAMS, John, WINTORY, Austin) and subsequently by year and title of the film (e.g. 2005 - Munich (OST Album)). In the case of multiple scores per year, I'll add alphabetical markings to the year the films were released (e.g. 1997A, 1997B, etc.). Multiple releases of the same score are kept in separate folders.

For my organization... the top shelf is all the Star Trek scores, including TV series box sets that I got.

Then the rest of the scores are listed alphabetically by composer (last name, first) then their respective scores in alphabetical order.