Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Might buy this, though I'm surprised it doesn't have a Williams piece on there.

Cleopatra, coming atcha! I've pre-ordered this CD, having attended the concert at which it was recorded (http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22774).

There was another LPO concert a few weeks later in the same season covering the bases of film music from 1980 to the present day. The LPO played Star Wars at that one, dating as it does from, er, 1977. Go figure.

Found used (but almost good as new) discs at a local specialty CD store at a relatively cheap price:

Taras Bulba by Franz Waxman (Tadlow re-recording)

A Street Car Named Desire by Alex North (Varese re-recording Jerry Goldsmith conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra)

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf by Alex North (Varese re-recording Jerry Goldsmith conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra)

Apparently some score collector had sold part of his collection there, among them the LLL Hook, The Fury, The Empire of the Sun and a good amount of various Varese releases from other composers.

Found used (but almost good as new) discs at a local specialty CD store at a relatively cheap price:

A Street Car Named Desire by Alex North (Varese re-recording Jerry Goldsmith conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra)

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf by Alex North (Varese re-recording Jerry Goldsmith conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra)

Apparently some score collector had sold part of his collection there, among them the LLL Hook, The Fury, The Empire of the Sun and a good amount of various Varese releases from other composers.

Did you buy those? If so, excellent choices! Although I still need to buy Varese's A Streetcar Named Desire..

Omen II, was that Varese's 2-CD Cleopatra?

Karol

Did you buy those? If so, excellent choices! Although I still need to buy Varese's A Streetcar Named Desire..

Omen II, was that Varese's 2-CD Cleopatra?

Karol

Yeah bought the first three. Goes almost without saying it is quite excellent stuff. :)

Both versions of CE3K on CD are excellent. However, I think for sure it will be reissued in the future. I mean, just settle for a lossless rip for now? There's no way they'll reissue without the contents of both CDs.

I love the packaging of 1998 Arista edition, the booklet that comes (glued) with it is top-notch. One of my most cherished Williams scores and albums, I can totally recommend it. Of course Lalaland will top that when it eventually happens, but in the meantime this release does everything it needs to, and more.

I'm thinking about getting John Williams' Close Encounters. Should I wait just in case a new album is on the horizon?

You can never wait for a quality purchase. I would also suggest going on eBay or Amazon Marketplace and purchasing Jaws 2 at an unreasonably high price. Totally worth it.

Just placed an Amazon order for 2 current CDs and 2 pre-orders

29610.jpg29247.jpg

81XWJyCSd9L._SL1500_.jpg71PSMJ0TwmL._SL1500_.jpg

Wanted to order Pas De Deux too, but the price jumped up $5 so I'll wait till it jumps back down

The Williams completist in me. If it was more than the $9.99 it is, I wouldn't have bothered. I'm sure its a completely worthless release, of course.

It really sucks we in the Nordic countries can't benefit from pre-ordering something like The Force Awakens because there is no internet retailer that would deliver the disc for the actual release date. :(

Pollyanna by Christopher Gunning

pollyanna.jpg

Rebecca by Christopher Gunning

rebecca.jpg'

LOOK! It's Tywin Lannister and Lady Olenna Tyrell! :P

I have to applaud Caldera Records for releasing more of Gunning's film music. Now if they would re-release Firelight and When the Whales Came and more of his music for Poirot I would be a happy camper. :)

Ordered Pas De Deux from Amazon (It jumped back down to under $15) and three titles direct from Varese - Seventh Son, Gremlins 2, and The List of Adrian Messenger.

28909.jpg

26710.jpg29134.jpg29854.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

HMV seem to be against film scores at the moment and slashing prices to the point I was able to collect A View to a Kill and Raiders of the Lost Ark. VTAK always feels incomplete. Something like 38 minutes long compared to how long expanded scores like You Only Live Twice, OHMSS etc are. I know the VTAK release isn't expanded but be nice for something in the near future along those lines.

Vintage Cinema just came in my latest order from SAE (couple of days ago). :)

Three choral suites is an excellent one I have owned for many years.

I'm always pleasantly surprised by the brilliance of these Kunzel recordings.

He always arranged them to stay true to the originals, yet with a different spin, so as not to sound exactly the same.

Karaoke & Cold Lazarus by Christopher Gunning

R-703063-1399242359-5597.jpeg.jpg

Gabrieli (including John Williams' Music for Brass) by National Brass Ensemble

81L7rm-4pCL._SX466_.jpg

Gabrieli (including John Williams' Music for Brass) by National Brass Ensemble

81L7rm-4pCL._SX466_.jpg

Thanks for the reminder, just bought the track on iTunes!

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet, I gotta place a couple orders. Kind of waiting to see what else is released in November so I can bundle stuff together and save on shipping.

Maybe you guys can help me out with this one. I came across a very good deal for the 1994 Varese Sarabande release of the Secret of NIMH (the 48 minutes release). Is the expansion really undispensable or will I make do just fine with this release, also bearing in mind the price is very attractive?

Maybe you guys can help me out with this one. I came across a very good deal for the 1994 Varese Sarabande release of the Secret of NIMH (the 48 minutes release). Is the expansion really undispensable or will I make do just fine with this release, also bearing in mind the price is very attractive?

I don't have the expansion yet (it's on order), but the original release had good, but quite hissy sound, and at least mine had a short dropout at one point. If these are improved, that makes the expansion worthwhile in my book, regardless of the additional material.

Ecxcellent! I used to love making that kind of finds (it has grown less possible with the CD market moving into the internet). Really made my day or week or month when I found a new JW score for my collection that way. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Received one of my biggest SAE hauls yet yesterday, consisting of new releases and used CD as usual:

Arnold/Goldsmith: The Heroes of Telemark/Stagecoach (album)

Dust Brothers: Fight Club

Goldsmith: Basic Instinct (Quartet)

Goldsmith: Chain Reaction (Varese Deluxe)

Goldsmith: In Harm's Way (Intrada expansion)

Goldsmith: The Secret of NIMH (Intrada)

Horner: Glory

Horner: Jumanji

JNH: The Sixth Sense

Kamen: Brazil

Kamen: The Three Musketeers

Poledouris: Love and Treason

Silvestri: Back to the Future Part II (Intrada)

Silvestri: Back to the Future Part III (Varese Deluxe)

It will take me a while to go through all these, especially with all the two disc sets in there. I can already say that Chain Reaction and In Harm's Way were worthwhile purchases, even though I wasn't convinced I should get them, as I had the earlier releases for both but rarely listen to them. CR has some cool previously unreleased tracks, and Harm's Way not only has one cool new track reminiscent of Goldsmith's later POTA, but also sounds massively better than the old version. And there's some cool stuff among the previously released tracks that I hadn't appreciated enough until now.

Also picked up these a while ago:

Ben Folds Five: Live - awesome, mostly focused on their latest album (which I think might be their best), but also with some older classics.

Ben Folds & yMusic: So There + piano concerto - also very fine. Folds' typical pop style, but with acoustic chamber orchestration. The piano concerto is also not bad at all.

Michael Daugherty: Mount Rushmore - choral Daugherty! Might have become one of my favourites of his.