Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

No, not exactly. This is 4 discs (Star Wars has its own disc) and it also includes Warhorse and Sabrina. Most of the content is the same though.

Edit: yeah, the one Jay posted.

I suspect it's redundant for most but I don't have the non film music or some of the Boston Pops stuff and it was cheap!

Ah the one with the infamous Sabrina the Teen Witch blurb. :P

No, not exactly. This is 4 discs (Star Wars has its own disc) and it also includes Warhorse and Sabrina. Most of the content is the same though.

I am sure they make various versions of these compilations. Sony repackaging more of JW's music.

I suspect it's redundant for most but I don't have the non film music or some of the Boston Pops stuff and it was cheap!

Well it is a good way of getting on a single compilation many of those 1990's Boston Pops recordings. :)

And I've never even heard Sabrina

Well you'll be in for a nice surprise. Williams' little romantic gem from 1995. While Julie Ormond and Harrison Ford do not exactly embody the soul of romance, JWs music does.

My latest batch ordered from SAE has finally arrived (BTTF II & III, Chain Reaction, Stargate SG-1) :D

But man, my excitement took a dive when I learned I had to pay a sizeable amount due to import taxes (U.S. to Europe).

It was the first time SAE printed the full amount (about 100 dollars) on the box, in the past they have ALWAYS put a very small amount on the slip, so it wouldn't be intercepted by customs.

I've sent an e-mail to ask if this is just a one time thing (because I paid an additional 20 bucks for secure shipping).

I hope it won't be the norm from now on.

Man this one order of 4 releases (including one cheap) has taken a big chunk out of my wallet. :angry:

Oh that sounds like a bummer. I have never had them put the real total price on the box cover, usually something nominal like 5 or 10$, at SAE or any other of the soundtrack labels. Only Amazon Marketplace sellers have put the full price on the box with the result of the CDs stuck in customs and me having to pay extra for them. And the minimum sum you have to declare at customs is 22 € here so with a bit of bad luck your single rare score might cost you 10 € extra.

Yeah it would really suck if somehow SAE were obliged to do that now, because until now they were making the customs office losing a lot on funds coming in. But to be honest, it shouldn't matter where I buy my products, in this case music CD's that aren't sold anywhere else than the U.S., so I have literally no choice to order them overseas. To punish me for that lack of choice with this import tax bullshit is just not right. Bunch of thieving bastards...

Or do they want me to pirate my music, that would be easy thing to do... No it's us, paying for the music, that get screwed over.

Does this declaration of box value apply to all packages sent overseas, or just ones from a vendor?

My question is really, if a third party in the US buys the discs and ships them to people overseas as a "gift," does the value still need written on the box, or is that a way to beat the system?

I cracked under Jason's and Matessino's effective lobbying and bought this

Home-Alone-25-hi-Web.jpg

I find myself continuing to resist it because I have the last expanded incarnation, but it's becoming more difficult!

But man, my excitement took a dive when I learned I had to pay a sizeable amount due to import taxes (U.S. to Europe).

It was the first time SAE printed the full amount (about 100 dollars) on the box, in the past they have ALWAYS put a very small amount on the slip, so it wouldn't be intercepted by customs.

They've been listing $5 per CD for the last few years for me. Which usually amounts to something around $50, i.e. above the limit, yet the last time I was actually taxed was at the time of the Spartacus set.

My question is really, if a third party in the US buys the discs and ships them to people overseas as a "gift," does the value still need written on the box, or is that a way to beat the system?

If it's a gift, there is no tax (or at least the limit is much, much higher). Stores used to tick the "gift" box, and some still do, but I think they often don't believe them and just ignore it. As far as I know, you still put the value on the label even when it's a gift.

They've been listing $5 per CD for the last few years for me. Which usually amounts to something around $50, i.e. above the limit, yet the last time I was actually taxed was at the time of the Spartacus set.

I've received confirmation they are only obliged to put the full amount of the order whenever they need to ship it registered, with additional security, so they can put in a claim when it becomes lost and get refunded.

But then the customs tax office may intercept it and 'fine' what they think the recipient should pay.

Otherwise with normal overseas shipping, they just put what they want on the box, as little as possible, but when the package becomes lost, it's impossible for them to put in a claim.

Luckily I've never had an order missing in the 15 years I've been buying from them. So I've learned another lesson today: just go for the cheap shipping option. :)

Still almost the end of the 2015 year... I'm happy that Decca decided to promote some old, but classic, recordings of the Boston Pops. In fact, the first ones JW record with them!

And the 2-CD compilation seems a good choice for those who don't own the 1987 Holst Planets album.

It's the Star Wars fever!!!

p_4383.jpg

John Williams - The Best Selection / Williams, Boston Pops O (2015, Decca, 4824032, Compilation)

Star Wars: Main Title; Princess Leia; The Empire Strikes Back: The Asteroid Field; Yoda's Theme; The Imperial March; Return Of The Jedi: Parade Of The Ewoks; Luke & Leia Theme; Jabba The Hutt; The Forest Battle; Superman: March; Love Theme; Jaws: Theme; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - Suite; Raiders Of The Lost Ark: March; Olympic Fanfare And Theme; E.T.: Flying Theme; Adventures On Earth.

p_4789244.jpg

John Williams Conducts Music From Star Wars / Williams, Boston Pops O (2015, Decca, 4789244, Compilation)

CD 1: Star Wars: Main Title; Princess Leia; The Empire Strikes Back: The Asteroid Field; The Imperial March; Yoda's Theme; Return of the Jedi: Jabba the Hutt; Luke and Leia Theme; Parade of the Ewoks; The Forest Battle; Close Encounters of the Third Kind Suite; E.T.: Adventures on Earth; Flying Theme; CD 2: 2001, A Space Odyssey (R. Strauss Also sprach Zarathustra Introduction); Alien: Closing Title; Battlestar Galactica: Main Title; Star Trek (Motion Picture): Main Title; Star Trek (TV Show): Main Theme; Twilight Zone: Theme and Variations; Holst - The Planets: Mars; Venus; Mercury; Jupiter; Saturn; Uranus; Neptune.

Still almost the end of the 2015 year... I'm happy that Decca decided to promote some old, but classic, recordings of the Boston Pops. In fact, the first ones JW record with them!

And the 2-CD compilation seems a good choice for those who don't own the 1987 Holst Planets album.

It's the Star Wars fever!!!

p_4383.jpg

John Williams - The Best Selection / Williams, Boston Pops O (2015, Decca, 4824032, Compilation)

Star Wars: Main Title; Princess Leia; The Empire Strikes Back: The Asteroid Field; Yoda's Theme; The Imperial March; Return Of The Jedi: Parade Of The Ewoks; Luke & Leia Theme; Jabba The Hutt; The Forest Battle; Superman: March; Love Theme; Jaws: Theme; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - Suite; Raiders Of The Lost Ark: March; Olympic Fanfare And Theme; E.T.: Flying Theme; Adventures On Earth.

p_4789244.jpg

John Williams Conducts Music From Star Wars / Williams, Boston Pops O (2015, Decca, 4789244, Compilation)

CD 1: Star Wars: Main Title; Princess Leia; The Empire Strikes Back: The Asteroid Field; The Imperial March; Yoda's Theme; Return of the Jedi: Jabba the Hutt; Luke and Leia Theme; Parade of the Ewoks; The Forest Battle; Close Encounters of the Third Kind Suite; E.T.: Adventures on Earth; Flying Theme; CD 2: 2001, A Space Odyssey (R. Strauss Also sprach Zarathustra Introduction); Alien: Closing Title; Battlestar Galactica: Main Title; Star Trek (Motion Picture): Main Title; Star Trek (TV Show): Main Theme; Twilight Zone: Theme and Variations; Holst - The Planets: Mars; Venus; Mercury; Jupiter; Saturn; Uranus; Neptune.

I wonder... someone has them?

Is the sound has been improved?

Bespin, I have that last one, the double-disc set. It sounds tremendous!

I especially love Williams conducting The Planets, what a performance !

For me, it beats the other one I have (Dutoit, Montréal Symphony).

Do you have the original CDs, to compare the sound?

p_9500921.jpg

Pops in Space / Williams, Boston Pops O (1980, Philips, 9500 921)

Superman: March; Love Theme; The Empire Strikes Back: The Asteroid Field; Yoda's Theme; The Imperial March; Star Wars: Main Theme; Princess Leia; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind: Suite.

(Reissued in 1985, Philips, 412 884-2)

p_4201771.jpg

Holst – The Planets / Williams, Boston Pops O (1987, Philips, 420 177-1)

Mars, The Bringer Of War; Venus, The Bringer Of Peace; Mercury, The Winged Messenger; Jupiter, The Bringer Of Jollity; Saturn, The Bringer Of Old Age; Uranus, The Magician; Neptune, The Mystic.

(Reissued in 1987, Philips, 420 177-2)

(Reissued for digital download in 2014, Decca)

I got Star Wars: The Correllian Edition for no other reason than completeness sake.

John Williams Conducts the Star Wars Trilogy (The Skywalker Symphony one)

I got Star Wars: The Correllian Edition for no other reason than completeness sake.

John Williams Conducts the Star Wars Trilogy (The Skywalker Symphony one)

Oh don't get into Sony's racket! Don't play their foul re-release game!

Specialty labels are much more preferable for that!

It's thanks to people like BS that Sony just keeps on releasing the same old stuff over and over again (instead of bothering releasing the complete scores): because they now there'll always be good ol' completists to buy it over and over again!

Guys, you can all thank BS for Sony not releasing the prequels' complete scores!

I'm on discovery mode, just bought from iTunes.

p_5022810316824.jpg

Four Classic Albums (Tenors West/Take Me Along/The Picasso Of Big Band Jazz/Lush, Latin And Cool) (2015, Avid Records, 5022810316824, Compilation)

Featuring John T. Williams (p).

Star Trek Generations (expanded) and The Force Awakens yesterday.

Surprised to find the expanded Trek in HMV and snapped up. I think that leaves First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis as the only ones I've not got expanded, well...Star Trek XI as well but not bothered.

Leaving the Force Awakens until I finally get to see this film.

Well one local CD store finally had Star Wars the Force Awakens so I picked it up. Happened to be the best CD store in my hometown where I bought so many of my first soundtrack albums in my youth and also The Phantom Menace soundtrack back in 1999 and now 16 years later the newest chapter in the continuing musical odyssey of Star Wars. Ah memories. :)

Before Christmas:

Star Wars: TFA

For Christmas:

A John Williams Celebration (Blu-ray)

Randy Newman: Live in London (DVD)

Katzenjammer: A Kiss Before You Go - Live in Hamburg (Blu-ray)

Arrived today:

Jaws (Intrada)

Jaws 2 (Intrada)

Tom Sawyer (Quartet)

Home Alone (LLL)

Total Recall (Quartet)

All together that makes 6 new Williams albums I got in the span of slightly over a week. That must be a first in at least ten years or so. (Although I won't even open Home Alone until late next November)